Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

team effort at the litter box...confused cat

jiorji
November 5th, 2005, 12:50 PM
good morning....ummm*checks clock* well it is for me! :D

so here's a little update on my ladies. Peanut has started getting adjusted to the new place and walks around exploring, with Twiggy following her everywhere lol
they meet and rub noses and lick each other ...awwwwwww...
Twiggy;s teaching Peanut a few miscevious things...always pouncing on her and wrestling in the middle of the night *yawn*

now the littler box....My mom bought Twiggy one of those little boxes that looks like a carrier and she won't go in thinking it's a carrier. SO i took the top off and the bottom has really high walls. I don't know much about Peanut's previous behaviour but when she goes in the little box she scatches the little box walls as if she was digging through litter. I find that odd.....because she doesn't realize it's plastic and not litter...so she ends up not covering her poo and then Twiggy goes in and covers it for her ...which i find EXTREMELY hilarious!

on her first days here Peanut went pooping in the bathtub :eek: . I heard her "digging" in the bathtub then she went poo there. So i moved her and there hasn't been a problem since...but anyone know why that could've happened??

why does she insist digging into a solid object?!?! :confused:

also...anyone know why cats push their body down when you try to pet them?? is it cos she's still shy??

chico2
November 5th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Jiorjio,it all sounds really cute :love:
My Rocky(big tabby)if he does not want to be petted,will lower his back too... he also scratches hard surfaces,before he drinks water and he will scratch outside the litter-box,he's full of weird but cute habits :D
Every cat has different habits,not one is the same.
As for the covered litter-box,my cats never liked them...I suppose the smell is more concentrated in there and we all know cats do not like smelly places,also the dust from the litter is more likely to end up in their lungs.

Lucky Rescue
November 5th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Little kittens often "duck" like that when you go to pet them. They'll outgrow it probably.

You want to do everything you can to encourage them to use the litterbox. If they don't like something, change it! For my kittens I use a low sided box and plain clay litter. Clumping litter is very dangerous for kittens.

The digging is genetic, and they will try to dig even if the surface is solid. Some will try to cover up their food and scratch the floor all around the food dish!:p

CyberKitten
November 5th, 2005, 02:07 PM
I would say it is innate to dig -but actually it is learned behaviour. Kittens are taught by mom to hide their smell so that other critters, esp bigger ones that might think they are lunch - do not find their scent. It continues even inside so cats will scratch their box and even try to scratch a solid surface. Even my bunny - on the occasions he thought my bed was something he wanted to mark (he was a baby and not yet neutered) would scratch it - that is when I knew to place him in his litter box and he figured it out!!

Do you only have the one box? I have a litter box for each cat plus one. Well actually there is an extra one but my foster kitties came with three and I already had three and was using 2, one upstairs and one downstairs.

jiorji
November 5th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Do you only have the one box?

yes i only have one. But it gets cleaned out as soon as they use it (if i'm home, most of the time i am). I guess at first the new cat wasn't comfortable using twiggy's litter box, hence the embarassing bath tub incident :o , but she's doing ok now.

chico2
November 5th, 2005, 03:05 PM
I only have 2 litterboxes for three cats and it's fine,but I use large Rubbermaid boxes in my downstairs bathroom.

LM1313
November 5th, 2005, 06:35 PM
My kitties will cover each other's poop too! XD Actually, most of the time they'll cover their own, but not always. Booster always insists on digging right to the very bottom of the plastic box, even though that makes it harder to clean.

I use corn litter for my kittens . . . It's clumpable, flushable, and digestible in case it gets stuck on their paws.

~LM~

jiorji
November 5th, 2005, 07:15 PM
i'm actually thinking of training them to poo straight into the toilet. I spend more money on litter than on food. somewhat pricy.

But the first "toilet training" experiment failed. I'm just afraid Peanut will want to dig in the toilet after she poops or drink from there :eek:

mona_b
November 5th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Some will try to cover up their food and scratch the floor all around the food dish!:p

Ohhhh can I agree to that.Casper does this.But what really annoys me is when he scratches in the dry food dish and the dry goes flying all over the floor. :rolleyes:...Casper will also start scratching on the floor after he has used the litterbox.

As for the litter box.I have one for both my cats.I use the Maxi litter.It's made for more then one cat.And I must say,it does work.With the other brand I was using,it was smelling after the second day.

In my house,the toiletseat cover stays down.The only reason is because when Winnie and Casper were kittens,they had a habit of falling in when they where trying to get up on the toilet tank part.... :rolleyes:

jiorji
November 5th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Ohhhh can I agree to that.Casper does this.But what really annoys me is when he scratches in the dry food dish and the dry goes flying all over the floor. :rolleyes:...Casper will also start scratching on the floor after he has used the litterbox.

My twiggy takes food pellets out on purpose to play with. If she's in the mood for "cat hockey" she climbs up on anything and knocks stuff down to play with hehee