Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog likes Kitty Poop!

Busman
November 5th, 2005, 10:26 AM
I have a 6 month standard Poodle who can't resist to eat cat poop. It is quite alarming and gross. I have never owned an animal that will eat poop (Maybe roll in it). Is there a fix for this? Will she out grow it?

SnowDancer
November 5th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Welcome to the world of "tootsie roll" eaters. Will your pup outgrow the habit - well mine never did and our current dog shows know sign of giving up either - likes to be helpful.

Lucky Rescue
November 5th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Most dogs do like kitty poop, the reason being that cat food is very high in protein, so the poop is attractive to dogs.

You have to keep the litterbox out of reach.

PetFriendly
November 5th, 2005, 07:20 PM
We like to call them 'kitty crunchies' and Charley loves them too, however gross that may be.

We've been able to curbe his snacking by closing in the litter box, keeping it clean (to keep the smell down) and saying NO! when he looks like he might want to go near it. The pup is 9 months old and we've been at this for 2 months now (his nose started working a little late) and he's pretty reliable to leave it alone so long as the smell isn't too strong.

Busman
November 5th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Our cat is an outdoor cat. So Shelby finds it in the barkdust or dirt. She has already eaten a rock which required surgery to remove. I have to keep her on a leash when she does her outdoor business. She can't be left alone outdoors for fear that she will eat another rock thinking it's Kitty Roca.

I would hate to have to get rid of my cat, I've had her since she was a kitten and she is awesome. I guess I'll just have to be hyper-vigilant when we go outdoors.

Thaks all for your replys. :thumbs up

Lucky Rescue
November 5th, 2005, 08:30 PM
I would hate to have to get rid of my cat, I've had her since she was a kitten and she is awesome
:confused:

That's a new one on me.

Teaching your dog to "leave it" is a better solution than dumping your cat. There's tons of bad things for dogs to eat outside, and you can't eliminate all of them.

Or keeping your cat inside might be a good idea. Surely she doesn't stay out in the winter?

cpietra16
November 6th, 2005, 09:27 AM
I have been trying to get my dog out of the litter box for 6 years. Winnie considers this her dessert. With 3 cats she never lacks dessert. I could never change this behavior so I had to change mine and put the litter in a closed room...so I think you are right in keeping her on a leash..good luck

Toonces
November 6th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Here at our house we call them kitty litter date squares :yuck: . My girls never eat the cat poop but we have had fosters that consider it quite the treat. We have the cats litter and thier food in a room downstairs that they have access to via a kitty door.

melanie
November 7th, 2005, 02:41 PM
cow poo, kitty poo, chicken poo, horse poo, hey to my dog its all good stuff.

just wait till she gets goin on the cow poo in the paddock and then comes up for a big kis with a big green tounge, grose..... if i catch her in time she will leave it though, but can you blame a girl for it when to her it is a divine meal, yummy.:D

chico2
November 7th, 2005, 03:37 PM
It really bothers me when people say"I'll have to get rid of the cat"for doing absolutely nothing wrong,she just poops and since she is unfortunately an out-door cat,has no choice but to poop outside.
It is not the cats fault the dog likes her poop.
It's also,as you have read,not an uncommon thing for dogs to do....so please,don't blame the cat for the dogs unsavoury desert-choice:sad:

Toonces
November 7th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Very well put Chico!

My kitty Emma pooped on my bed the other day (my fault she got locked in the room) but would I get rid of her NO, she is my baby.