Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

what do I do about worrms in the dogs poop?

Rmhobbyhorse
November 5th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Hi I have just rescued 2 dogs from a rescue league, they would have been euthenized if this league did not take them. First I noticed the small house dog has white worms in her poop and then now my outside/inside dog has it. I have wormed them but I see no results. I have cleaned and bleached their bedding and crates and I have given them baths. How soon can I worm them again and what would be best? The worms are about an inch or so long and they are white and kind of flat and they kind of inch, I have seen a few on their back side here and there.
Is this dangerous for my children and I?
Thanks!!

Lucky Rescue
November 5th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Sounds like tapeworms. Didn't the rescue deworm them? Tapeworms are normally a very harmless parasite, unless the animal is very young or already ill. Yes, people can get them if they ingest a flea or egg, but with normal hygiene practices, this is not likely.

What did you use to worm them? Do NOT use anything from the petstore. At best, petstore meds do NOT work, and at worst can harm the animal.

You must take a stool sample to the vet and get appropriate medication. Tapeworm meds are not expensive.

jesse's mommy
November 5th, 2005, 10:38 AM
I agree with Lucky. You need to take the sample to the vet. They usually analyze the same for about $10 (give or take) and the medication is rather reasonable. Good luck.