Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pongo the dalmation

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 4th, 2005, 10:28 PM
There is a purebred dalmation named Pongo for adoption at the SPCA. Do you think someone saw the movie then thought hey why dont we get a dalmation and call him Pongo just like the movie.

http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=5311548&adTarget=&SessionID=436c34de7400862f-app1&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=

Prin
November 4th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Every time another version of 101 dalmations comes out there is a surge of unwanted dalmations. This is DEFINITELY not the dog to buy on a whim.

LM1313
November 4th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Poor doggy, could well be! I've heard dalmations are not ideal dogs for families with kids. But of course people see the movies and all they think is "Awww, cute puppies!"

Hey, I was just thinking about the book (The Hundred and One Dalmations by Dodie Smith) today! Has anyone else read it? It's sooo much better than the Disney movie. I can't believe how much stuff they cut out. (They even got Pongo's wife wrong . . . His wife was Missis. Perdita was a stray who became a foster mom since Missis couldn't feed fifteen puppies by herself.)

Anyway, I highly recommend it . . . It's sweet and funny and witty (reminds me of Harry Potter) and even though the dogs are anthromorphized, they're still very, very doggy. :)

Favorite quotes:

"What a beautiful cloak," he said. "But you'll find it too warm for this evening."

"I never find anything too warm," said Cruella. "I wear furs all year round. I sleep between ermine sheets."

"How nice," said Mrs. Dearly politely. "Do they wash well?"

Cruella did not seem to hear this.

As they went through the hall, a most beautiful white Persian cat dashed past them and ran upstairs. Mrs. Dearly admired it.

"I don't like her much," said Cruella. "I'd drown her if she wasn't so valuable."

The cat turned on the stairs and made an angry, spitting sound. It might have been at Pongo and Missis--but then again, it might not.

"Help, help, help!" barked Pongo. "We are being pursued. How soon can we get off the road?"

"I don't know, mate," barked back the Straffordshire. "You'd better hide in my van."

"The miracle, the miracle!" gasped Pongo to Missis.

"Quickly, pups! Jump in the nice miracle," said Missis, who now thought "miracle" was another name for a removal van.

"Bathed?" gasped Mrs. Dearly. "All of them?"

"They can't sleep in their soot," said Nanny Cook firmly. "Nanny Butler and I can work in our bathroom and you two can work in yours. And how about asking that Splendid Vet and his wife to pop round and bathe pups in the laundry?"

So Mr. Dearly ran up the Splendid Vet, who was delighted to be woken up and called out at nearly midnight on Christmas Eve.

(Incidentally, Cruella is such a bad pet owner that she drowns all of her unspayed cats kittens. Aside from, you know, wanting to skin dalmations.)

~LM~

Prin
November 4th, 2005, 10:53 PM
***NOTE: The above was not meant to encourage people who want a dog for their kids for Christmas to get a dalmation. ***

(Just had to stick a disclaimer in there... ;) )

rivers
November 5th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Prin - the book sounds good! maybe I'll give it a try.

JMO, but the dalmation was probably renamed by the SPCA, there is nothing stating that the prev. owners bought it after seeing the movie or that they named it Pongo themselves...

Puppyluv
November 5th, 2005, 09:38 AM
LM- I loved the book! I actually read it before I saw the movie (I'm not sure how I went so long without seeing the movie, but I first read the book when I was 7 or 8, and have read it many times since)
Having grown up with a dal, i deffinately agree that they are NOT dogs to get on a whim (obviously no dog is, but dals do not fall into the easy dog category)

Prin
November 5th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Prin - the book sounds good! maybe I'll give it a try. I know I say a lot, but LM is the one who recommended the book... :o

LM1313
November 5th, 2005, 10:55 AM
I know I say a lot, but LM is the one who recommended the book... :o

It's the perfect alternative to getting a kid a real dalmation. :p

Actually, I do think it's a good book to give a kid before they get a pet since it's all from a dog's perspective and lets them know that dogs are "real people." And there's even a valuable lesson in animal abuse.

They went through the open gate and up the cobbled path, wagging their tails and looking with love at the little boy--and the bread and butter. The child smiled at them fearlessly and waved the bread and butter. And then, when they were only three or four yards away, he stooped, picked up a stone, and slung it with all his force. He gave a squeal of laughter when he saw the stone strike Pongo, then went in and slammed the door.

"Are you hurt, Pongo?" cried Missis, as they ran. Then she saw he was limping. Pongo's leg was bleeding--the stone must have had a very sharp edge. But what hurt him most was the bruise on the bone. He was trembling with pain and rage.

"I must come with you to find food. And I will bite that child."

(Actually, Missis convinces him not too. As a kid that always disappointed me. But at least the concept is there. Hurt dog = get bitten.)

~LM~

Prin
November 5th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Or a hurt doggy might not bite you, but he sure is thinking hard about it. ;)

CyberKitten
November 5th, 2005, 02:36 PM
I loved the book too!! I still do!

My ex husband's family had a dalmation who was geriatric by the time we were married and we used to dogsit when they went to Fla. Even at age 15, he was an energetic pooch!!

When I 1st saw the movie - the original one - Sometimes I feel older than dirt in this Board, lol - the movie theatre offered a dalmation puppy. They took the tickets purchased by everyone who went to the matinee show
(some 300 mostly kids!!!) and it was essentially a draw! The holder of a ticket half drawn from a hat won the dog. The little puppy was won by one of my neighbours who was the same age as my older sister. Imagine this family's surprise when this small child arrived home with a dalmation!!!!! It could have had a nasty outcome if the dog had been won by someone who knew nothing about puppies but fortunately for this pup, this family had 5 kids, great parents - incl a stay at home mom and they loved the little dog. We all did actually. But how irresponsible on the part of the movie theatre!!