Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

? on AKC and CKC

d123squirt
November 4th, 2005, 08:09 PM
i bought a poodle puppy he has CKC papers but IM wanting to register him under AKC is there any way to do that

thanks

april07
November 4th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Your dog can't be registered under both...here's a link you can check out that should be able to help you outhttp://www.akc.org/about/faq.cfm?page=7

d123squirt
November 4th, 2005, 08:30 PM
no he is not reg under CKC he has papers for me to reg him under that but befor i go and reg him i want to see if i can reg him under AKC

Lissa
November 4th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Check the special registry services - if you are moving to the states or living there, I think you can have the papers transferred from the CKC to the AKC (providing all the paperwork checks out). I'm not 100% sure though - I think you'll have to contact both registries about it!

Here's a link the AKC's special registry pamphlet:

http://www.akc.org/rules/special_registry_services.cfm?SEARCH_BUTTON.X=21\&SEARCH_BUTTON.Y=14&page=3

d123squirt
November 4th, 2005, 08:36 PM
lol i live in the USA i want to reg my poodle AKC but his parents are CKC can i still reg him AKC and if i can how do i do that

Prin
November 4th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Have you read the AKC site? They probably have all the info on there. :)

mona_b
November 4th, 2005, 11:50 PM
no he is not reg under CKC he has papers for me to reg him under that

So what your saying is that he isn't registered right now but you have the papers to register him?

If this is right,then something is wrong here.This is not how it works.

Your pup should already be registered with the CKC at birth.

The breeder is the one who fills out all the papers.They register the litter first,then each pup.Then there are additional papers that the breeder fills out once the pup is sold.Then within 5-6 months you recieve the registration certificate which looks like a diploma.Has the Sire and Dams name,the breeders name,kennel name,and then your name.

This from the CKC.

The cost of same shall be the responsibility of the breeder or the owner of the dog at time of sale. Under no circumstances should anyone submit these applications on the breeder's behalf, nor should they pay for the transactions, above and beyond the sale price of the dog. [S.64 Animal Pedigree Act, S.30.1 CKC By-laws]

dodo
November 5th, 2005, 01:58 AM
That was some good info.I have a question regarding the 50 dollar fee.
I have just received the letter around 5 months and 2 weeks.They mentionned there is a 50 dollar fee.Can someone please explain that to me?
Also,how is the certificate look like?

Any inputs appreciated.

StaceyB
November 5th, 2005, 07:26 AM
The 50.00 is to become a member and receive info and the magazine, thats it. It is an option for you and has nothing to do with your dog being registered.
The breeder is not allowed to charge you for the papers.

Dragonfly
November 5th, 2005, 07:33 AM
OP - Is that CKC paperwork for the Canadian Kennel Club or the Continental Kennel Club?

raingirl
November 5th, 2005, 08:27 AM
dragon, that's what I was thinking as soon as they said they are in the USA.

A lot of breeders in the USA sell dogs that are "CKC" registered which means basically didly squat. They say they are "ckc" registered to entice buyers, but the CKC really isn't anything any anyone can participate.

You may have some troubles registering the puppy if the parents and litter aren't AKC registered. You might have ti be ILP registered (see their website).

d123squirt
November 5th, 2005, 09:06 AM
no i dont think he is i have the paper to send in it seas continental kennel club pre-printed puppy registration application

mona_b
November 5th, 2005, 09:53 AM
OP - Is that CKC paperwork for the Canadian Kennel Club or the Continental Kennel Club?

I didn't even think of that....Guess being Canadian I am so used to it meaning Canadian Kennel Club.... :D ...I was thinking maybe the parents were from Canada.

How old is your pup?

As raingirl stated,the Continental Kennel Club means quat.The will even register mutts.

What letter and where from?

My scanner isn't working or else I could show you what the certificate looks like.

mona_b
November 5th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Well sounds to me that you did not get him from a reputable breeder.No reputable breeder would register their dogs with the Continental Kennel Club.At least none that I know of.

As I stated before,the buyer is not the one who fills out the papers.

I really wouldn't bother trying to register him under the AKC(you may not be able to anyway).

Lucky Rescue
November 5th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Now Mona - don't be hasty! You can read all about the "CKC" here.;)

Cretin Kennel Club (http://wonderpuppy.net/ckci/)

mona_b
November 5th, 2005, 10:15 AM
OMG LR,I think I saw a guy walking one of those in my area..... :rolleyes:

:p

Lucky Rescue
November 5th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Shoot, I gave you the link to the "Rare and Designer breed" page.

Check the link again.:p

Prin
November 5th, 2005, 10:44 AM
I like the "A kennel club for today's productive breeders"...

When will people learn that they have to come here FIRST and then go get a puppy? :p