Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog license

rivers
November 4th, 2005, 04:27 PM
You may think this is a dumb question, but as I have a puppy for the first time since moving to this country, I am not sure if I need a dog license or not.
I stay in the Halton Hills Region, Ontario (Georgetown, Milton). I checked their website, and all I get is 'not found' when I search for 'dog license'.
Anyone else live in this region and know if I need one?
I haven't researched enough yet, but thought maybe someone would know on here.

Puppyluv
November 4th, 2005, 04:39 PM
I found this link:
http://www.haltonhills.ca/civic/building/pdfs/bylaws/By-law%2094-077-Responsible_Pet_Owners.pdf
According to section 2, you do have to license your dog.

maddoxies
November 4th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Always work on the assumption that no municipal government would pass up the chance to collect money.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 4th, 2005, 07:33 PM
We are required to have a liscence here. If your dog goes missing and dog control picks them up the fine is way higher than if you don't. They actually come door to door in our town selling the liscences its about 14 dollars, more if your dog is not spayed or neutured.

Puppyluv
November 4th, 2005, 08:46 PM
I've even been stopped by a bilaw officer, to check Layla's license. Unfortunately, she's chewed hers up, so it's just a hunk of chewed plastic on her collar (what moron thought it would be a good idea to make dog license tags out of plastic?!?!), and they weren't too impressed by it, but fortunately you could still sort of see that it was indeed a 2005 license, so they "let me go"

CyberKitten
November 4th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Dog licences are granted by municpal gvernments in Canada - or in the case of rural areas, by County administrations if one exists. (NB has not had County govts since the mid sixties).

Prin
November 4th, 2005, 10:23 PM
I've even been stopped by a bilaw officer, to check Layla's license. Unfortunately, she's chewed hers up, so it's just a hunk of chewed plastic on her collar (what moron thought it would be a good idea to make dog license tags out of plastic?!?!), and they weren't too impressed by it, but fortunately you could still sort of see that it was indeed a 2005 license, so they "let me go"
Ya, some of the very disobedient dogs at our park also chew up their licenses. My doggies are well trained, so theirs are perfect. Come to think of it, they are just perfect. :clown: :clown: :D

Puppyluv
November 5th, 2005, 09:42 AM
:o She was young and reckless, what can I say? She thought it would be a good idea to chew her collar and everything on it about a week after I got her. :rolleyes:

SnowDancer
November 5th, 2005, 10:14 AM
After letting checking of licences seriously lapse (and frankly even sending out the renewal forms), Animal Control is now going full steam in Toronto. I know several people that have been stopped - including me. They started by hovering near the entrances to popular dog walking areas and close to vet, grooming and day care centres - just like the car parking police. When guy in my husband's office was stopped and given a warning and instructions to produce tag within X days or receive a huge fine, I immediately printed out the form. If your dog is micro-chipped you will need to provide the number, the date of rabies vaccination and also proof of spay/neuter to get the "best" rate. I was stopped 2 days after receiving my dog's tag. I would say you should get the licence just in case.