Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

3-4 month old pittie to be PTS - Hamilton

Jazz&Cricket
November 4th, 2005, 01:11 PM
I've been following this on the BSL yahoo group. Apparently, a gentleman found a puppy which he brought in. Now he's being told he cannot adopt it and because no one is coming forth as the owner, it will be put down today. This is ridiculous. :mad: :mad:
Animal control won't even turn the puppy over to the SPCA.! That's not the way the law is written. I can adopt a pitbull even though I didn't own one before.........so what's the problem in Hamilton!! I don't get it!

jesse's mommy
November 4th, 2005, 01:26 PM
I just get so angry reading threads like this. I just hate ignorant people. Ugh!

raingirl
November 4th, 2005, 01:29 PM
I thought the new law stated that all pits left in shelters and such after the wait period was over (last week) were now not adoptable and will be put down. Doesn't the new law state that people are not allowed to take ownership of pits now, which means they aren't allowed to be adopted or stuff like that?

love my dogs
November 4th, 2005, 04:12 PM
No...you can still adopt an existing pit. Existing pits won't be put down, just the ones born after a certain date (I think in Jan).

Something isn't right with that Hamilton situation....they should not be able to do that. I would raise a stink.....call and ask lots, LOTS of questions. They can't just put it down for no reason. Call the paper.

babyrocky1
November 4th, 2005, 04:29 PM
There is a link to Bullies in Need on Pitbulliests site! Is it too late......?

twodogsandacat
November 4th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Hamilton's reputation does precede itself no doubt.

Right now there can BE NO DOUBT that this dog was born BEFORE the cut off date as that is still a few months off.

In the future surrended 'restricted' dogs can be adopted but if it can not be determined that the dog was legally in Ontario before the cutoff date (as in a stray dog) it is likely they won't be adopted out.

Hamilton NEEDS TO DO THE RIGHT THING HERE.

babyrocky1
November 4th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Another thing I forgot to post earlier, dont know if its relavent to this case but AC told me that if they find a "stray" pit bull and it is not nuetered it will automatically be considered a "dangerous dog" and be pts. They didnt say anything about the age of the dog. Could this be what they ar using to justifie this MURDER?

wdawson
November 4th, 2005, 06:07 PM
I live in hamilton and i'm gettin nervous with this whole mess , anytime now we can expect to see post's about our pet's being taken and pts , i have a 7 month old pit cross , who all the people in my area thought was the cutiest little guy , now he is starting to look like part pit these people are starting to give us the cold shoulder , there are to people who head the other way when i walk my 14 yr old beagle ( un-muzzled ) and my 7 mth pit cross (muzzled) together . they look at him like he is as evil as paul bernardo . this nightmare has too stop.

sorry just venting
wayne :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

mona_b
November 5th, 2005, 12:07 AM
No...you can still adopt an existing pit. Existing pits won't be put down, just the ones born after a certain date (I think in Jan).

Exactly.You still can adopt them.As for the ones born after a certain date,I'm 95% sure it was stated after Oct 28th.Which means any pups born now will be put down... :sad:

Here is a sweet little girl up for adoption at the Hamilton SPCA.I had the pleasure of playing with her a couple of weeks ago.She's 6 months old.

Conners
November 6th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Hamilton put down a dog way before the ban was even in play because they claimed it vicious. What happened was a woman adopted it from there, it played rougher than her other too, so she took it back.
The Toronto HS tried to get the dog and even said they would come get it, but Hamilton refused. There was a big stink about it, but Hamilton wouldn't break done and put the DTS. :mad: :sad:

Conners
November 6th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Here's the story of Madonna and how Hamilton Refuses to give in.

Friday, March 18, 2005
Death for an Innocent Puppy

Madonna
Last Wednesday, March 9, Madonna, a Pit bull cross, was euthanized. The dog's death came in spite of offers to adopt the dog, including one from the Toronto Humane Society.
Society president Tim Trow said he called a supervisor with animal control last Tuesday and offered to come down and pick up Madonna at no charge to the city.
"I was told the dog would be put down," said Mr. Trow. "I said we would drive down and bring her to our facility, where we have professional trainers that could work with the dog. I was told by the manager (Jim Gillis) that he'd think about it, but the answer was no. I told him he wasn't being much of an advocate for animals, and all he wanted to know was who called us about Madonna."
Last week, the city's animal control operations came under the microscope after it started to euthanize Pit bulls in advance of the Ontario government's Bill 132 - An Act to amend the Dog Owners' Liability Act. Although the law, which will place new restrictions on Pit bulls in the province, has reached third reading, it has yet to receive Royal assent.
Council ordered animal control to halt the killing on anymore Pit bulls until the law officially comes into effect.
Unfortunately, it seems, the action was taken too late to save Madonna's life.
"This was not a vicious dog," said Ms. Maerz, who rescued another Pit bull from the city last week and placed it with a new home in Seattle. "This dog was cleared for adoption and passed all the poking and prodding tests done to determine an animal's demeanour.
"I saw her the night before she died, up at the Dartnall Road facility, and she was wagging her tail and looking up at the two people who made the decision to euthanize her."
Aside from the government's new dog legislation, Madonna's trouble was compounded by the fact she was adopted out and returned. The family who took her Feb. 24 returned the animal after an incident in a leash-free park.
Ms. Maerz said the young family already had a dog, two young children and lived in an apartment. Madonna was let loose in a leash-free park without any obedience training, and pinned another animal while playing.
This prompted the adoptee's to return the animal and it was deemed aggressive by the city.
Tom Redmond, director of building and licensing, said the city has a responsibility to protect the public from aggressive animals.
"There are liability issues and we could be on the hook," he said. "This dog was deemed toy and food aggressive, and those are not desirable qualities. We have a statutory obligation to public safety."
However, attempts to access the assessment done on Madonna were unsuccessful, and questions remain whether the dog was ever re-assessed.
Prior to press time, senior city staffer Leanne Coveyduck had offered to show the assessment documents related to Madonna to Brabant Newspapers. However, those documents were not provided.
Mr. Redmond questioned the Toronto Humane Society's interest in this animal.
"Why is the THS interested in this particular breed?" he asked. "It seems wounds have yet to heal over the Pit bull ban. We are not a charitable organization. There are only so many spaces, and we have to determine whether an animal is a good candidate to take up space in a cage."
Ward 11 councillor David Mitchell said he was furious with the way the situation was handled, and vowed to get to the bottom of it.
"There seems to be a real lack of sensitivity, and I'd like to know what staff person okayed this," he said. "I think there should be some disciplinary action. This was a wrong decision."
Mr. Mitchell said what angered him even more was the fact the Toronto Humane Society offered to take the dog.
"Where was the common sense here? This was an easy way out," he said. "We pay people a lot of money to make smart decisions."

Jazz&Cricket
November 7th, 2005, 11:15 AM
As of this morning, the puppy still lives...for how long, who knows. :mad: Anyway, there seems to be a lot of confusion around the law so I'm adding a link. If I owned a pitty type dog, I might be inclined to carry the da** legislation with me.
In a nutshell: Yes, I can own a pitty even if I've never owned one before. I can't own two. If you owned four, you can continue to own four but you cannot bring them into Ontario (although how anyone would know since we don't have 'border police' between provinces???)
Here's the link

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/Statutes/English/90d16_e.htm

Let's keep working to get rid of the legislation...and the liberals in 2007!!

LL1
November 7th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Does Hamilton SPCA want this dog?Did anyone ask?

Did they ask and get turned down?

Will Hamilton AC release this dog to a rescue,has anyone asked?

Will anyone here foster this dog for Bullies in Need if Hamilton were to agree to release the dog?That is the kind of help this dog needs,a foster home.

Even before this ban several Ontario shelters would not adopt out Pits or Pit Bull type dogs.

wdawson
November 7th, 2005, 05:36 PM
I received a reply from hamilton ac today , in regards to the email i sent on sunday , they said this dog is a banned pit and not a restricted one and that the dog was left on the side of the sherman access by it's owner (they are the one's that should be on death row) . They said the only option the have is to adopt the dog out of province and that someone from michigan has expressed interested and that they are waiting for a reply in regards to transportation to the us.:fingerscr

Georgiapeaches
November 7th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Wdawson, I am on another board where a person has ties to the person interested from Michigan. The Hamilton AC informed this person they must:
Go in to the Hamilton AC, with proper ID, and then pay for a vet to come in and administer all its shots.
Then pay for 10 days of quarantine, because the boarder will want to see shot records and they take 10 days before customs will allow the dog in after its shots.
Then after the 10 days, come back, pay for the puppy and then leave the country immediately with the dog.

Hamilton AC fed this person bs. Customs does not require a 10 day quarantine, and the only thing customs is interested in is if the dog has it's rabies shot (the same day, before or whenever, aslong as it has it). Honestly, it is quite obvious they are making it difficult.

Spurby
November 7th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Hamilton's reputation precedes itself. :p
I would suggest having the person contact Bullies in Need. They have someone who can get it pulled and then he can adopt it and :p to Hamilton.

BIN has never worked with this shelter, and we wouldn't pull a dog unless we have a fully screened foster home available. Anyone here interested in becoming a foster home?

I received a reply from hamilton ac today , in regards to the email i sent on sunday , they said this dog is a banned pit and not a restricted one and that the dog was left on the side of the sherman access by it's owner (they are the one's that should be on death row) . They said the only option the have is to adopt the dog out of province and that someone from michigan has expressed interested and that they are waiting for a reply in regards to transportation to the us.

I can see and understand them saying it is a "banned dog" if the said dog was OVER 9 months of age and unaltered, but as per the legislation, folks have until 9 months of age to alter their pits. Very confusing, and sad.

wdawson
November 7th, 2005, 06:17 PM
well i really didn't believe what they told me , just thought i would pass along what i heard from them . hope this poor guy makes it.

Spurby
November 7th, 2005, 06:24 PM

Even before this ban several Ontario shelters would not adopt out Pits or Pit Bull type dogs.

Very true, we have pulled 8 week old pups from shelters that would not adopt them out to the public. If we didn't, after there 3 day hold they are PTS. Hamilton isn't the only one. Shelter breed prejudice has been going on for ages.

mona_b
November 7th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Does Hamilton SPCA want this dog?Did anyone ask?.

I'm wondering the same thing.

Lets not get the Hamilton AC mixed with the Hamilton SPCA.Yes they are both on Dartnall(Next door to each other)..But the SPCA still is adopting out Pitties and Pit mixes....Bonnie being one of them.They have been even before the ban.They have been swarmed with this breed for some time now.

mona_b
November 7th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Well well,looks like another PittieX has been brought into the Hamilton SPCA and is up for adoption.

He's 5 years old and altered.He was brought in on Sunday.

Conners
November 8th, 2005, 12:02 PM
MONA!!!! Off topic...but guess what? Ann MacDonald is going to interview Shasta and I for certification. She just trained another pittie for a man that couldn't pick up small things like screws.
K girls...back to topic again!!!:highfive:

mona_b
November 8th, 2005, 09:36 PM
OMG Conners,that is GREAT.....:highfive:

After a crappy day,it's great to hear something this good....:thumbs up

I'm sure Shasta will have no probs passing...:)

LL1
November 9th, 2005, 08:51 AM
I do not believe the story,if anyone had names and details that would make sense,for all anyone knows it was a volunteer who answered the phone and guessed at the policies,or for all anyone knows the man decided he did not want the dog and made up a story to make AC look bad.That is more plausible to me,I have seen it happen time and time again.

Hamilton AC is not a bad place,they have staff there that do whatever they can to help the animals,some foster and some do transports,and some have donated altering to thank rescues when they take dogs from them.

Hamilton was in the controversy with the Pit they sent to Kingston Humane awhile back.He had been in Hamilton AC for MONTHS and Kingston offered to take some dogs in as they had space.

He was transferred and after arriving at Kingston,he apparently gave someone a "funny look" and peed on someones shoe.They decided to kill him.The staff at Hamilton AC begged for the dog back,and would go pick him up.They refused and killed him instead and then bashed Hamilton AC staff to whoever would listen,and announced they would NEVER take in a Pit again.

Long story short,Hamilton AC has some really good people.

Bashing them is unfair,especially without all the details of the story.

Georgiapeaches
November 9th, 2005, 10:26 AM
uhhh...okay.
How do you explain them lying to a woman who offered to adopt the dog??
How do you explain them putting down a pitbull in the spring that the Toronto Humane Society offered to take??
And, they will tell you the details of the "story" all you have to do is call them.

BullLover
November 9th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Exactly.You still can adopt them.As for the ones born after a certain date,I'm 95% sure it was stated after Oct 28th.Which means any pups born now will be put down... :sad:

It is Nov. 28th, not October.

BullLover
November 9th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Here's the story of Madonna and how Hamilton Refuses to give in.

Thanks for sharing that story Conners. I'm beginning to HATE people. Too many stupid and ignorant people in the world. What was the harm in letting her go to THS? There wasn't one. If she indeed was an agressive dog, then they could have made that decision after seeing her. Wouldn't two opinions from two reputable shelters be better than one?

People make me sick now a days.

LL1
November 9th, 2005, 03:33 PM
I did explain that,I do not believe the story:

"I do not believe the story,if anyone had names and details that would make sense,for all anyone knows it was a volunteer who answered the phone and guessed at the policies,or for all anyone knows the man decided he did not want the dog and made up a story to make AC look bad.That is more plausible to me,I have seen it happen time and time again."

Nobody has given names or details or answered the questions I asked.

uhhh...okay.
How do you explain them lying to a woman who offered to adopt the dog??
How do you explain them putting down a pitbull in the spring that the Toronto Humane Society offered to take??
And, they will tell you the details of the "story" all you have to do is call them.

Georgiapeaches
November 9th, 2005, 04:45 PM
LL1,
This was broadcasted on the Roy Green show, November 4.
What do you want to prove that this incident happened? Don't believe it? Call the Hamilton AC they have verified this story to everyone who has contacted them.

I recall you arguing in another thread about an incident that you didn't believe and you wanted names to prove the validity of that incident.
Instead of arguing on the net stating you don't believe an incident to be true, when infact has been proven to be true, stop arguing and being critical and call Hamilton AC and see if this pup is alive and if so, if you can help!!!
I have already offered to pay for gas and do transport if this pup can be pulled.

Conners
November 9th, 2005, 04:45 PM
I got the story from the newspaper, but unfortunately didn't keep the url. It wouldn't be there anymore anyway. But, here is mean and vicious (NOT!) Madonna.
http://photos1.blogger.com/img/86/3719/400/Madonna.jpg

Conners
November 9th, 2005, 04:47 PM
I got the story from the newspaper, but unfortunately didn't keep the url. It wouldn't be there anymore anyway. But, here is mean and vicious (NOT!) Madonna.
http://photos1.blogger.com/img/86/3719/400/Madonna.jpg
Or should I say this WAS Madonna.

Georgiapeaches
November 9th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Here are links to the articles of the Madonna story, that were saved by the person who runs brok.ca
http://www.brok.ca/pdf%20files/WasMadonnaSlaughteredForSpite.pdf

http://www.brok.ca/pdf%20files/DeathForInnocentPuppy.pdf

http://www.brok.ca/pdf%20files/WaveOfKilling.pdf

love my dogs
November 9th, 2005, 06:31 PM
That Madonna story is so sad.

It is so frustrating the way these poor pitties (and their advocates) are being treated.

I had a converstation the other day with a guy who said "well they must be dangerous or the province would not have banned them."

Of course, that got me going.....just because they made it a law, it does not mean they are right!

When are peolpe going to realize they are just DOGS! Dogs are not scheming, evil, monster man eaters!!! They are man's best friend for crying out loud!!!!

Sorry....mini rant.

Good for you GP for being pro-active and taking the initiative to find out first hand about what is going on in Hamilton, and offering your help. Way to Go!!!!!

I can't understand how this could be a banned dog, since it is obviously born BEFORE the cut off.

Did you happen to find out why they are taking that stand? GP...or anyone.

Conners
November 9th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Yes! It was VERY sad, especially since the ban hadn't even been enforced and the story behind the pup. Why they wouldn't allow THC to take her was just plain assinine. They wanted the pup dead and nobody could do anything to prevent it, no matter how hard they tried.
Hamilton was obviously making a statement. A BAD on in my mind and pointless.
I hope he got fired, but probably not. Anyone know if he's still with them? The PUPPY KILLER! :evil:

Me and Kayla
November 10th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Who hired this supervisor of the Hamilton HS? Did they do a background check on this person? Did this person like to pull the legs off of flies and torture poor little woodland creatures as a child?

Putting this person in charge of a HUMANE society is like giving Jeffrey Dahmer the position of Supervisor of the local YMCA.

This story just turns my stomach. Sorry for being so graphic.

Me and Kayla

LL1
November 10th, 2005, 09:35 AM
I dont know who Roy Green is,and didnt hear his show.

No,I dont believe it.Nothing has been proven to be true.If it did happen,I think people would be able to answer the very basic questions I asked,and nobody appears able to.

I am not being critical,I am pointing out a shelter is being bashed without no evidence.

Yes,I did question other wild accusations about other shelters with no proof.I think its really unfair to bash shelters and rescues online without proof.I know you cant bash rescues here,it is against the rules,I am surprised its not the same with shelters.

If you want to help this dog:

Bullies in Need needs a foster home or they cant help this dog.

Can anyone foster this dog for Bullies in Need?

Will the AC release this dog to Bullies in Need?

Have any rescues besides Bullies in Need been contacted?You could try that.Sitting here bashing Hamilton is not helping this dog in any way.

Get involved in rescue people.You would learn so much about how shelters and rescues operate.

Me and Kayla - this was not a Humane Socoiety they were talking about.

LL1,
This was broadcasted on the Roy Green show, November 4.
What do you want to prove that this incident happened? Don't believe it? Call the Hamilton AC they have verified this story to everyone who has contacted them.

I recall you arguing in another thread about an incident that you didn't believe and you wanted names to prove the validity of that incident.
Instead of arguing on the net stating you don't believe an incident to be true, when infact has been proven to be true, stop arguing and being critical and call Hamilton AC and see if this pup is alive and if so, if you can help!!!
I have already offered to pay for gas and do transport if this pup can be pulled.

Conners
November 10th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Nobody is arguing. We are concerned for the pup that shouldn't be put down is all. This is a place ro vent our frustrations as well as information.
All we know is the pup was not allowed to be adopted by the man and he's sorry now that he took it in to Hamilton AC. By rights, he should be able to adopt it and that's the frantic part of it.
Whether normally Hamilton runs their department well, there has been a couple of cases where they are NOT doing the right thing...and in my eyes, that is a couple of times too many.
GP gave you facts on Madonna. RedGreen is a TV show and he made a remark, why doesn't Michael Bryant come shoot the dog himself.' I didn't see the show so I can't tell you how it went.
All I know, a needless puppies like is at risk and we are concerned. If you don't like our concern, that can't be helped, we're NOT here to offend you, but we DO care about the puppy.

LL1
November 10th, 2005, 12:19 PM
I care about the puppy too,and listed what needed to be determined,and done to help the dog.I did not see that being done.

The dog will not be adopted out to an Ontario resident and will not be released to an Ontario rescue.AC and the city lawyer consider the dog a banned dog as the law states the dog must be owned before the ban and this dog was a stray with no proof of ownership and cannot be transferred to a rescue or person in Ontario.

If you would like to help this dog,get in touch with US rescues and see if they will accept the dog into their rescue.Days have been wasted by posting without getting the info needed to help this dog.If you care and want to help,please do something now.

Spurby
November 10th, 2005, 04:36 PM
What LL1 is saying is correct. A Rep from BIN contacted Hamilton AC and was told the same things. They can only legally give this dog to another screened/reputable rescue/HS in the US/other province only, otherwise the pup has no other options. This is the sad reality with rescue with this breed now, and many others, not enough homes or foster homes available. We cannot save them all. We never did recieve any offers of foster or adoptive homes for this pup either.

LL1
November 10th, 2005, 04:49 PM
It is very sad all around,the law and the fact that people who say they love the breed will not get involved and help the dogs who will die without help.

Georgiapeaches
November 10th, 2005, 04:52 PM
This situation is disgusting. This poor pup is considered bannned as there is no proof it was owned by an Ontario resident by August 29, and that is just sad. I only hope the Hamilton AC from now on, will give out proper info regarding border crossing.

LL1, I understand your questioning and I hope no hard feelings are held. From the Hamilton AC's previous incident with Madonna, I am very uncomfortable with their intentions. Also, in my own city, the ACC is under scrutiny for their own actions. I also believe they gas pitbulls that are not claimed within a short period of time.

As far as fostering, I do have a question for anyone who can answer. It has me very confused.
Am I able to foster? I currently have two pitbulls (both registered under my fiance's name, we are NOT common law, btw). I did foster a pitbull for about 3 weeks in September before he made his way to the U.S. and I really enjoyed having the houseguest.

Spurby
November 10th, 2005, 05:02 PM
GP, since you don't have a pit bull registered in your name, you can "adopt" one for fostering if you like, though you should check with your local municipality for the legal limit of dogs you are allowed.

Very sad 6 days were wasted on this to find out the facts. Even if a rescue from out of province/state were to come forward now, i doubt there would be enough time to arrange anything.

BMDLuver
November 10th, 2005, 05:25 PM
How old is this pup? It might be somewhere in all of this but I missed it.