Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Just spayed pooch...any instructions?

tojules
November 4th, 2005, 10:31 AM
We just adopted a 2 yr old Lhasa Apso cross and before we get to take her home she is being spayed. I will be picking her up today, but just wanted to know if there are things I should watch out for and if anybody has any care and advice on taking care of her once she's home.

She's a very shy and timid pup, I understand she'll be groggy and she'll have the cone on, but I've heard conflicting ideas about taking the cone off and allowing her to lick her incisions and not allowing her to.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

jesse's mommy
November 4th, 2005, 10:42 AM
When we got Jesse spayed, they told us she should not lick the incision and gave us a cone, but fortunately we didn't need to use it because Jesse could care less if she has a cut. She doesn't get obsessive compulsive over things like that, so we really lucked out. The biggest problem we had was jumping and stairs. We only have 4 steps to go in and out of the house, but we had to be careful that she didn't run up and down them and took it easy. Also with her being a puppy, she wasn't permitted to jump -- try telling her that. We did the best we could, but it's hard to keep an eye on her 24 hours a day so we did have some misses which came close to costing us because she put a slight tear in her incision which caused it to bleed and start to pus. We immediately rushed her back to the doctors and they gave us some antibiotic. I think just as long as you snuggle and make sure there isn't jumping, running, or licking you should be fine. Treat it as if you just had a small surgery, what would and wouldn't you do? Basically rest is just needed for it to heal. Good Luck and keep us updated.

Lucky Rescue
November 4th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Just to add one thing to jesse's mommy's excellent advice: If you're picking her up today, don't be alarmed if she acts differently or growls/snarls at you.

Anesthetic can sometimes cause this reaction.