Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

PETsMART training

GisyCard
November 4th, 2005, 01:13 AM
Does anyone recommend the PETsMART training classes? Does their method really work well? I'm reading the little pamphlet and it says "our accredited instructors use a proven approach to help your dog learn..." I'm thinking of signing up for them since I have never had a trained dog before and I don't think I know how to do it on my own.

StaceyB
November 4th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Each trainer is different and their capabilities as a teacher may be good or bad so I would suggest watching each of them teach to see if you like their approach. This may be the case at many training places you check out.
There are good trainers and there are bad trainers. Make sure you find a good one.

Beaglemom
November 4th, 2005, 08:24 AM
I agree with StaceyB. I took my dog to the PetSmart training classes. I was a student then and that was the only one that I could afford as they were more affordable than all the other training facilities I had looked into. I lucked out and had a really good trainer who had many years of experience and who also competed with her own dogs. She helped me out with some of my issues with Misty, such as her timidness with bigger dogs.

Do watch their classes in progress and interview the trainers. You can then make your decision if one of those trainers or none are right for you.

mafiaprincess
November 4th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Petsmart was a calamity for us. If you have taught your puppy pretty much anything, then puppy classes are a repeat. We went through 3 trainers before we found one we could deal with, and found the basic classes had more valuble things taught in them than puppy classes did.

And since there is no individual attention really, your dog needs to be a clear cut normal dog without any problems needing more attention than petsmart can give you.

It's an alright start when you can't afford better, but looking back on our classes there, we shoudl have paid a little bit more for more attention to help our dogs individual problems.

Depending upon the store the policy also seems to waver on how many dogs they allow per class. so 14 puppys to one trainer really PO'd me when we were there.

PetFriendly
November 6th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Are you talking about puppy classes or basic obedience classes?

Puppy classes are great to make sure your dog isn't afraid of other dogs and learns good playing manners. No, you don't learn much, only the basics, but IMO its a really good start (There are a number of small dogs around here who could ahve used that socialization as they are "not nice with other digs" according to their owners... I think they are just afraid).

You'll want a class size smaller than 14 for basic obedience, but again, the social skills learned ina group class are worth the trade off for attention. If your dog has issues that need to be worked on (mouthy, jumpy, guards, etc), it might be worth getting a personal trainer to work those specific issues out.

Go and see what they learn and how they teach. There are probably more classes to choose from in the yellow pages so pick a couple of those to compare to and see what you get for your money.

tenderfoot
November 6th, 2005, 09:13 PM
We just had a client come out from LA to train with us here in Colorado. We spent a lot of time talking about the training options in LA and apparently there are many. I would recomend that you do some more research and make an educated choice from several different options - don't just go with one route until you know what else is out there.