Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog teeth

dmc123
November 3rd, 2005, 07:52 PM
A couple of questions about dog teeth.

I was googling earlier trying to find pictures of what dogs teeth look like or should look like at different ages. Anyone know of good dog dental sites?

The reason I am looking is to help guess at the age of my newest foster/now family member Simon. The vet said he has an overbite so he is harder to guess at about his age because they may not have ground down like a dog with "regular" bite. He guessed 1 1/2 - 2 years old.

Simon's overbite is in the back, the molar area. His front teeth have an underbite, his lower teeth are in front of his upper ones kinda like a bulldog. In the molar area, his top teeth don't meet or just just pass the lower, they are jutted out about 1/8- 1/4 inch. Poor Rudy and Delaney, I got them down to compare theirs with what I just saw on Simon :)

He doesn't like the bigger dog treats, the ones that take chewing, like the other dogs do.

I wish I knew how old he was, he acts like he is a pup, 8 or 9 months old, but his teeth look more grown-in like one that is older than that.

Thanks,
Diane

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 07:57 PM
I tried looking this week for that exact thing (somebody asked how to tell a dog's age) and I couldn't find one set of pics on that topic. It's really aggravating. Sorry.

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 08:11 PM
I can post this one of Jemma's molars at about 3 years old (even though it's not too clear).

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 08:12 PM
And of course, the front... :D

jesse's mommy
November 3rd, 2005, 08:15 PM
I knew that picture was coming...

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 08:26 PM
I know, I'm predictable. But after searching the other day, teethy pics are quite rare...

dmc123
November 3rd, 2005, 09:57 PM
lol thanks Prin, lol

kayla
November 3rd, 2005, 10:18 PM
Well if there aren't any pics on the net why doesn't someone start a thread in the pic forum titled "teeth" or something? Most of us have dogs, most of us know their ages, right? The plan is infallable! :p (and Prin, yet another opportunity to post your pic! :D )

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 10:35 PM
But who else has pics? I haven't seen that many pics focused on teeth... I think I'll start a thread... (Unless somebody else gets there first...)

Puppyluv
November 3rd, 2005, 11:00 PM
LOL, I read this thread after the other one... I have to say I was a tad consused as to what lead to its creation. But it all makes sense now :)

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 11:14 PM
LOL... Yes... I created a thread in the pic forum, in case other people are confused too... It's here: Teeth for the Ages (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=20961) So that we can have a sort of "database" of teeth at different ages because it's really hard to find some on the net.. :)

kayla
November 3rd, 2005, 11:38 PM
Ok I've added mine now too. It should be an interesting (and educational ;) ) thread!

loveyadogs
November 9th, 2005, 08:28 AM
at what age do teeth start falling out, due to old age?

jesse's mommy
November 9th, 2005, 01:42 PM
But who else has pics? I haven't seen that many pics focused on teeth... I think I'll start a thread... (Unless somebody else gets there first...)

I'm trying to get some pics of Jesse's teeth, but it seems all I can get is pics of her tongue! She's a lover...