Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Blood in vomit (Sadie's)

Luba
November 3rd, 2005, 07:49 PM
First of all we've been to the vet immediately when it happened!

I know I haven't posted on here other then to help out pags and that I had said my goodbyes before....please forgive me for being selfish to ask a question or advise, even some support but I'm pretty upset.

Last night I was up with Sadie she had some diarrhea but things seemed to improve as morning came.

Through the day she was tired and I didn't feed her to wait to see if her stomach and bowels settled.

In the early evening I gave her a little food, boiled chicken and some mashed potato.

She wasn't interested at first but went back to it and ate it.

Then she drank quite a bit of water and within a half hour she threw up a LOT OF BLOOD!

I immediately scooped her up and a sample of her vomit and we rushed her to the vet.

They did xray and sent out blood work but also checked her wbc and rbc at the office, said it was okay.

They dont think she's bleeding from any vital organs nor did they see an obstruction.

Vet things maybe she ate something sharp from the backyard like a piece of twig or something and it scratched her throat or stomach but already made it's way through the bowels.

We have to wait until morning for the lab work and results on the sample I took in to them.

I'm really really upset it was LOTS of blood! Though it was obviously diluted with water, I'm telling u it was bright red and quite a lot.

Has anyone had this happen?

I'll be checking back to see if there are any posts, please if you can offer any advise I'd be greatful.

She's at home with us know, vet said not to worry but hey I'm going to!!
And if anything changes I'm going to rush her immediately to the VEC emerg clinic downtown.

Thank you for your understanding

april07
November 3rd, 2005, 08:03 PM
:sad: That's sad to hear about Sadie. I apologize that I don't have any info that I can offer....I really hope Sadie will be fine :fingerscr

Luba
November 3rd, 2005, 08:14 PM
Thank you april07

I just gave her the medication the vet prescribed to coat her eosophogas (sp) and stomach incase there was a tear or rupture somewhere.

Just sitting with her now and trying to comfort her, she seems scared herself.

april07
November 3rd, 2005, 08:20 PM
Luba,I found this site that you maybe some interest to youhttp://www.animalhospitals-usa.com/dogs/vomiting_blood.html

Luba
November 3rd, 2005, 08:26 PM
Thank you so much I'm reading it right now, I was just doing searches for this when you posted that but this is a good explanation.

Thank you for doing that for me :grouphug:

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 08:30 PM
Wow, that's really traumatizing. I'm so sorry. The closest I have ever come to that was when Boo ate a HUGE box of oreos and threw up black...

I hope everything turns out ok. :fingerscr :grouphug:

glasslass
November 3rd, 2005, 08:37 PM
Luba, I know how upset and anxious you are tonite. Wish I had some insight to give you but, of course, that would mean I had experienced this and I'm glad I haven't. Nothing can be worse than what you're probably imagining. Think positive! You've helped so many on this board over the years, you are certainly entitled to come here for whatever help, even if only morale support, we can offer. And not to mention that we all care about Sadie. Please keep us updated and let us send our prayers and positive vibes. Give her a hug from me.

Lucky Rescue
November 3rd, 2005, 08:58 PM
Oh Luba! I've never had this happen but just know how shocking it would be to see. The closest I came is when Chloe got a stick down her throat and spewed some blood.

If it's bright red,(fresh) then I would say it could have been something she ate that may have torn the lining of either her esophagus or stomach maybe.

Just try feeding her very small quantities and maybe put in the blender first with water.

I'm sure your girl will be okay!! Chloe and I send all good vibes to both of you!!! :grouphug:

Luba
November 3rd, 2005, 09:11 PM
Oh thank you thank you so much for the support.

I have been just worried sick, truly thinking all sorts of horrible things.
Glasslass you're right, to think positive. I suppose I should try that ;)
I was just so scared because it wasn't just a little speck or even a tablespoon but it was a great quantity.

She had some water and hasn't thrown up again yet. I want to try to give her some mashed potato but the vet said to wait until Morning until after the results come back so I will.

I brought her xrays home with me incase we do need to rush her somewhere overnight. I truly truly pray she is okay and it's just something like that LR, the tear from getting into something sharp.

I explained everything as good as I possibly could to the vet. She told me even if Sadie does vomit blood again that there's no need to take her to the emerg tonight unless she really changes, goes into shock, continues to vomit over and over or is obviously very weak etc...

The trip to the vet was an unexpected $402 bill, I wonder if I had some sort of doggie health insurance if it would have mattered much?

You really never expect these sorts of things to happen, from out of nowhere. I mean we never even really leave her in the backyard by herself, she's usually always with one of the family. If we leave her alone in the house she never destroys things and never goes into the garbage so it wasn't anything like that.

Maybe she ate a sharp twig or piece or rose bush? I'm hoping whatever it is IF it's that that it will go through her.....and out the other end.

Thank you again for your kind support and Prin the black oreo vomit :yuck: I guess you didn't eat oreos' yourself for awhile ! LOL

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 09:13 PM
LOL Never again, Luba. NEVER again.

pags
November 3rd, 2005, 10:09 PM
Ack, Luba!!!! :eek:

I sent you a message but I'll go ahead and type it here too. My GSD Mocha had the tendency to eat anything and everything she could reach and we DID actually go through something similar. She vomitted quite a bit though - not just once and it was a lot of blood... I have been trying to find my old vet papers for you so I could look up exactly what he had said back then and all I can find is one of the bills where they put 'trach. laceration' -- so that's tracheal (spelling).. and she had also scraped the lining of her throat and gosh knows what else when whatever she swallowed made its way down. We'll never know what on earth she ate.

The big difference is that she was coughing up blood as well because this was mostly a windpipe injury... But it was huge amounts of blood. Maybe silly Sadie had a stick snack go down the wrong way... You know we're praying for her (and you.. hug).

There was no blood in the diarrhea, right? And what about when she was drinking the water -- did you notice if she was having difficulty then?

*pace* Keep us posted. :fingerscr

:grouphug:

Luba
November 3rd, 2005, 10:23 PM
Thanks so much pags, I did get your message (hugs)!

I asked the vet to see if she could look down her throat or anything but said only with an endoscope and only if Sadie was sedated.... do you remember if your vet said that?

I never with all my dogs had this happen before so this one is new for me. When Sadie was younger a puppy she used to run with rocks and swallow them....I wonder if she did something like this again?

The vet said no foreign body in the xrays but just a few mins ago, she threw up again this time it was brownish, canned dog food colour though she hasn't had any canned dog food and I home cook for her. I didn't see any blood, clots or anything dark red, pink or even purplish.

Seemed though even though it was a small amount she was trying to throw up some more but it wouldn't come.

Going to go sit with her again, she seems very tired and worn out. Didn't sleep last night or much today. She's pooped, and had a rough day the poor darling.

Praying her :angel: s will heal her.

pags
November 3rd, 2005, 11:13 PM
Yes - Mocha had an endoscopy. We opted for it in our case because she had a history of injuring her throat at the time.

The vomit sounds like digested food. Is it possible that some of the blood she may have swallowed could upset her stomach? Poor baby.

The only thing I've been able to find in my searches so far other than some kind of injury is possibly pancreatitis. I'm sure you're finding the same things. What time do you expect the rest of the blood test results tomorrow?

How's she doing?

Luba
November 3rd, 2005, 11:17 PM
She's really quiet right now, laying on the sofa. Seems very wiped out.
She hasn't had any greasy foods so I don't think it's pancreatitis and the vet didn't think so either.

I'm hoping she just got into something in the yard and it will either come up or go out.

I have no idea whatsoever what the results will show tomorrow. If they are all good then perhaps it's going to heal with some time whatever the cause was.

So Mocha did have the endoscopy done, gotcha. I thought that may have been the way they diagnosed the injury.

I'll keep you all updated...I'm hoping she has a better night and atleast sleeps some without getting up to either vomit or diarrhea.

:grouphug:

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 11:44 PM
Sorry if this is nasty, but was the last "canned foody" uhh.. episode very acidic smelling? Food that's very late in digestion looks like canned food a bit but smells absolutely horrible...

Luba
November 4th, 2005, 12:21 AM
No thats not too nasty, no more nastier then talking about vomit and the poopies! ;) It's all part of life Prin and thank you for asking!

Actually I've been paying attention to the odors and this wasn't that bad I mean I didn't gag while cleaning it up or anything.

She's having quite a bit of stinky flatulence happening the last hour or so...maybe in part due to the medication.

So far since the last time, no more new episodes of vomiting. Not interested in any form of food. I puree'd her boiled chicken and mashed potato with some spring water..won't even lick a bit off my finger. Just wants to be left alone....so I keep watch and eye on her.

She's alert and reactive but definitely had a bad day and lets hope tomorrow things will improve and the results from the lab come back okay.

If it happens again, I'm assuming like with pags dog Mocha that endoscopy will be the next route to go.

Hey Prin, did you find a 'new' favourite cookie for yourself. I can recommend some great chocolate snap cookies that are organic :D

Prin
November 4th, 2005, 12:24 AM
I like the Celebration ones.... They used to be the cheapest cookies and now they got all expensive... They're like Schoolboy's? You know? But Celebration makes some with caramel under the chocolate...mmmm These: Caramel + Chocolate cookies... (http://www.leclerc.ca/english/products.php?img=14&cat=24)

To be honest, I'd hold the potatoes for now and just give chicken. I don't know if dogs are the same as humans, but in humans, starch and protein together is the hardest to digest.

chico2
November 4th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Luba,so sorry about our Sadie and I can just imagine how worried you are :sad:
Having only cats,who are very picky about what they put in their mouths,after walking Bailey(neighbors Cocker)every day,I've learned to watch her every move,she'll eat absolutely anything or try to.
I hope that is the only problem with sweet Sadie and like you say it will come out the other end :fingerscr for some good testresults today :love:

mastifflover
November 4th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Hi Luba sorry about Sadie, is there any way she could have gotten some type of poison? You mentioned she is lethargic and that with the blood is what happened with Boo but does Sadie have diarreah or blood in the stool. After seeing what Boo went through I hope this is not the case but check every option and Good luck and keep us posted. Buddy and I will keep you in our thoughts.

Lucky Rescue
November 4th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Luba - how is Sadie today?? I've been thinking about you two!

Luba
November 4th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Hi folks and yes I was thinking the possibility of poison myself...it did cross my mind. I spoke to the vet about that and she said because the bloodwork this morning came back okay she doesn't feel it was poison.

I haven't followed the information on Boo I"m so sorry to hear that something happened to make Boo sick :( I did not know that.

We never really let Sadie out of our site but we do have a large backyard and there are some spots we can't see her in if she's behind the sheds or trees so she could have chomped on something sharp and voila el puko grande.

She slept well last night, but I didnt'...I was up every hour to check on her (I think that irritated her :p ) Then by 5am I 'made' her come sleep with me so I could just get a little sleep myself.

The vet's happy that theres' nothing serious wrong, she still has diarrhea and so her food is very bland and we're feeding her very small frequent amounts.

Vet wants us to go ahead with the antibiotics (bleck) you know my thoughts on that but she said if there is a scrape inside somewhere it could become infected etc.. blah blah so I'll give them to her but if they start to make her more sick I'm stopping and just giving her oregano oil :D in yogurt. I started giving her probiotics in her food as well so that will help any bacterial infection in her colon.

She's very upset that she has had a poopy bum and needs to be washed after she does go w/r because of how non forming and loose it is..and well collie hair near the rear is quite long as you know.

Thank you all so much for your love and concern, I owe you all a lot of hugs...I needed the support last night and you were there for me I thank you a hundred times over!! :grouphug:

I'll let you know through the day how she is as well.

Prin, those cookies sound really good send me some :D I just went to get the pack of cookies to give you the brand name but I ate the last one and the box went out in recycling this morning via mama so I'll have to let you know when I buy another one!!! I love the chocolate caramel combo you're talking about! :D

Prin
November 4th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Just let me know where to send them. ;)

I'm glad that Sadie is doing better (well, better than you at least... :o ). :grouphug:

CyberKitten
November 4th, 2005, 03:43 PM
I missed this thread earlier - I never get to post till late in the day or early in the AM so I miss so much lately.

I am so sorry to hear about Sadie's experience but glad the vet did not find anything serious. I know how you feel - I once spent a sleepless nite with my poodle and he really just had a minor scrape but I had to look at it every hr. (started being a worrywart early I guess).

For future refence, bright red blood indicates it was recent since older blood is less colourful and darker. You need to really worry if one vomits blackened blood - that might indicate an ulcer of obstrtruction. So I would guess it was something she ingested just before the bleeding, If she had ingested something that did disagreed with her and vomited it later, it would NOT have been the colour you observed.

I hope she feels better soon!! And that you get some rest!! :grouphug:

mastifflover
November 4th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Luba Boo was my Neo that was poisoned by a very mean and nasty scumbag neighbour. Unfortunately he did not make it but that is a sad story. I hope Sadie is getting better and it is not posioning. Give her lots of hugs

Luba
November 4th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Thanks CK I figured that much about the blood but hey when you see that much of it it freaks you out esp not knowing what exactly is happening , you know? And she was sick the night before so I was concerned thinking what is this, parvo or what?

MastiffLover I tried to send you a pm but you're all full up!
(hugs and prayers)

Sadie is doing much better this afternoon and I hope things will continue to improve for her...she even wanted to play a little bit :D

Luba
November 4th, 2005, 11:42 PM
GREAT news everything is staying down and no more blood! Whew!!
Can you spell relief? Well I wouldn't be spelling it like the commercial these days I'd be spelling it much differently.

Sadie wanted me to thank you all for your love and support, and she sends you lots and lots of big kisses....

Now we're monitoring her closely as there is still the problem at the 'other end' but all and all things are definitely improving. We were able to go for a little walk even tonight :D

Don't be surprised if I visit here from time to time :D with a few words to say here and there. You've shown me your generous kindness and I can't turn my back on that, I'd be foolish. :grouphug:

Prin
November 4th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Sometimes doggies have to have a body crisis just to remind us how much we love them. :)

I'm glad you like us again. :o :)

chico2
November 5th, 2005, 08:44 AM
That's great news Luba,hopefully the"other end"will be ok too..
and you know you always contribute often invaluable info to worried owners and pics of beautiful Sadie always puts a smile on my face :D

Luba
November 5th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Prin there are wonderful fantastic people on here and there was never any doubt in my mind about that ;) My reasons for leaving were never because of the beautiful souls that I've come across! :angel:

I'm glad you like that picture of her missy'ness Chico she is feeling better and slept much better last night and so did I (yayyyy)!

I'm not giving her all the meds the dr prescribed, I wished I'd waited until the blood work came back the day after before I took them all (3) rx's that they pretty much insisted on and well with all that blood who was I to say differently at the time. I do wish I had said put the rx on her chart and depending on the results of the blood work I'll come back for them IF needed.

BUT now since we took them home can't get a refund right..

badger
November 5th, 2005, 02:45 PM
If the pills are in a strip or even loose in a pill bottle, my vet takes them back for a refund. If you have a good relationship with your vet, I'd ask.

Lucky Rescue
November 5th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Awww, I knew Sadie would be fine and am SO glad to hear that she is!! :thumbs up

Give that pretty girl a big hug from me!!:)

Luba
November 5th, 2005, 03:18 PM
I hugged her and she wants to lick Chloe's face all over and run around in circles chasing her :D (I hope your girl is okay LR) HUGS to you and her!

Nope Badger I think I'm outta luck BUT I'll try again on Monday .....you never just know what will happen if you say please and drop off a bunch of cookies (people cookies) LOL ;)

glasslass
November 11th, 2005, 01:08 AM
My computer is finally hooked back up at home. This is late, but have to add my relief that Sadie is once again, well, Sadie! Love seeing that sweet, mischievious face!

MyEskii
November 11th, 2005, 03:26 AM
:angel: :grouphug:
thank goodness Sadie's getting well.

love and support and never giving up is what helps our baby(s) get through tough times.

:pawprint: :ca:

just wondering has Sadie eatten anything new or not part of her regular meal that would cause her to vomit?