Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Taxi fares and tipping

Shamrock
November 3rd, 2005, 04:58 PM
I virtually never take cabs, but as my husband had my car today I took one to an appt. this morning. First time in a long time.

I was puzzled at something, and thought I would ask you here.

The fare came to $19.40, but I noticed that the driver rolled the meter over to $20.
I always tip where its customary, and gave him two dollars... even though he was rather sullen, didnt bother opening the car door for me, or come to my door to let me know he'd arrived. Maybe this is typical these days.. dont know. :rolleyes:

I always thought the fare on the meter once you stopped was the amount to be collected - and then tip if desired. Though its only small change to each fare they carry, at the end of their day and week this would add up. Who gets this amount - the driver, the cab company? What if I only had $19.40? :D

I was just curious if this practice is now a customary thing. Times change.

Lizzie
November 3rd, 2005, 05:48 PM
Generally, if the cabbie is as you described, i would only pay what I had to. You tip for good service, not bad service.

And a toonie was fair if you ask me...for good service that is.

Puppyluv
November 3rd, 2005, 05:49 PM
I always find that the taxi drivers here refuse to help you until after you pay.. that way they can see how much you tipped them, and whether or not you deserve their help getting your bags (or if they'll just pop the trunk and sit in the car, while you lug your bags out). I'm a pretty generous tipper by nature, but one time I was taking a cab right after having my purse stolen, and so with the cash in my pocket, it worked out that I was only going to be able to tip 5%. When the driver saw this he told me that "they do accept credit cards" and if I can't afford the ride (which I could, I just couldn't afford to give him a big tip) I should pay with a card. I told him I didn't have a credit card (as it had just been stolen) and he just rolled his eyes and popped the trunk.
On the other hand, I have had some very nice cab drivers, but its usually early in their shift, before they're jaded for the day.

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 07:40 PM
Ya, if you force me to give you a tip, I'm not going to give a big one. Tips should not be "understood", they should be earned. That said, if a tip is earned, I'm a huge tipper... All or nothing...