Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitten nursing like a crazy

LM1313
November 3rd, 2005, 04:38 PM
Well, Booster hasn't eaten any more fabric since the first incident. I guess he's lost interest in it. Now he's found a new hobby . . . nursing!

This started about a week ago. At first, his wanted to nurse off my armpit. Yes, he's jam his little head up there and start sucking away. I kept pulling him away and telling him no, no armpit sucking. He stopped nursing completely for a few days. But now he's back at it. He's nursing off of . . . Remy! (Well, since Remy is a cat, he probably smells more like a kitty mommy, so I guess it makes sense like that.) Specifically he sucks the fur on the back of Remy's head, under the back of his ear.

Will this behavior stop when Booster gets older? He was already weaned when I got him so I think it's just for comfort. He purrs and kneads like crazy while he's nursing.

Should I discourage it? Is it harmful to Remy at all? (Remy is the same age as Booster. He wiggles away from Booster's sucking when he's in a playful or active mood, but when he's in the mood to nap or just sit, he doesn't move. I'm not sure if he doesn't mind or if he's just resigned to it. Booster is very persistant when he wants something. But I have seen Remy fall asleep while Booster was sucking and I think that would indicate it's not too disturbing?)

Last night I kept pulling Booster off of Remy and pulling him off and finally I covered Remy's head with my hand (Booster likes to suck just under the ear) until Booster gave up. And by "giving up" I mean "decided to suck on Remy's back instead." :rolleyes:

~LM~

Lucky Rescue
November 3rd, 2005, 08:01 PM
Kittens can injure each other by sucking, depending what they are sucking on!

I would get him a long-haired stuffed animal, and encourage him to suck that, if he must suck.

He should outgrow this behavior.

LM1313
November 5th, 2005, 10:23 AM
That's a great idea! Is there anything specific I can do to make the toy seem more appealing than Remy?

He's only sucking on Remy's fur (like a spike of fur) so I don't think he's doing harm, but it seems like it would be annoying to Remy. Also, the patch of fur Booster sucks on becomes all slimy with saliva. Ewwww!

Here's Remy with Booster the leech attached. :rolleyes:

~LM~

LM1313
November 5th, 2005, 10:24 AM
"I'll just pretend there isn't a lunatic stuck to my shoulder . . ."

badger
November 5th, 2005, 10:29 AM
I thought the 'suckee' was a full grown cat! I would definitely try to find an alternative, perhaps one of those cat toys with a bit of rabbit fur on it (I've seen mice made of rabbit pelt). Maybe you could rub it on the other kitten or put it somewhere where he regularly lies, to transfer the scent. Then when the sucker strikes, gently remove him and introduce the toy. Poor thing, was he taken from his mother too early?

LM1313
November 5th, 2005, 10:43 AM
They've got a bunch of bunny fur mice, but those only get whacked around and pummelled. ;) I think I'll try something a little bigger . . . Booster really gets into the kneading, I think he'll want something to knead against.

I think he must have been taken too soon . . . He was just dumped in the "overnight" place at the humane society, poor little guy. :sad:

~LM~

CyberKitten
November 5th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Many kitties outgrow this by age six months. But it can hurt the other kitten so you need to discourage it. I once had a kitten (a bottle baby who I had raised and bottle fed after her mom died) who suckled on me and I just wore flannel or a material she tended not to like and or I ignored it until she stopped at about 5-6 mos. Or I would move her to another position until she fell asleep and as you know, kittens sleep ALOT!

Some ppl suggest bitter apple or citrus products but how one puts that on another kitten I do not know so I don;t think that's entirely wise. I would just redirect the kitten and was was recommended, get her a toy of her own, a stuffed toy. I would not say beanie baby since she might ingest the "beans". Get a stuffed toy with large stuffing that does not break up.