Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Carpet/Steam cleaners again...

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 04:19 PM
I know, we talked about it recently here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19967&highlight=carpet+cleaner
But I was just about to buy the little green "proheat" one from Costco (Little Green Proheat (http://www.costco.ca/en-CA/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10283112&whse=&topnav=&cat=4717&hierPath=103*4717*)) but then I saw that one out of 4 had good things to say about it....

But Consumer's Reports says that the Bissell Proheat Protech is the best, but I don't have $400 to spend on a steam cleaner.

And my sofa is a very pale yellow, so if I rent a sucky one by accident, I'll likely ruin my sofa.

I called and asked a cleaning company with a somewhat good reputation how much and they said $90+tax.

What would you do? Hire a dude, rent a machine or spend the big bucks? oooo I'll make a poll!

Does anybody have any smaller steamers that they'd recommend? Something not quite so expensive?

jesse's mommy
November 3rd, 2005, 05:19 PM
I have the Hoover Steam Vac with Clean Surge and think it's wonderful. I got it brand new (store return that wasn't used) off of Ebay for $80. It's the best and has all the upholstery attachments with it. I'm always cleaning my sofas with Jesse always sleeping on it. The thing you have to worry about is the shampoo you buy to use with it. That's what can run the colors so I've just tested it on a small area first. Hope that helps.

Puppyluv
November 3rd, 2005, 05:36 PM
What exactly are you trying to do? Just give it a general clean? Or are you trying to clean up a specific, extra-nasty mess?

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 07:43 PM
I'm trying to clean a year and a half's worth of Boo grease and dust (we used to live beside a highway). It's yellow, right, so Boo stained it black in places (really gross). It's not terrible because the suedey texture hides it and makes it look like a shadow, but I would like to clean it so my man won't be as allergic to it.

I'd also like to do the Boo futon too...

This sofa (the black is on the back just above the cushions, but it was relatively new when this pic was taken...):

shannonRN
November 3rd, 2005, 11:09 PM
Where's the "buy a slipcover and say the heck with it" option?

Really, I say hire the dude. It's more expensive to do it that way, but when you're talking an expensive piece of furniture that may be irreparably damaged, I think it's worth it to know that someone will have to replace it, should that happen.

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 11:12 PM
I like your logic about the dude. As for the slip covers, I just bought a bigger fleecy blanket that will cover the back too... :o

Puppyluv
November 3rd, 2005, 11:13 PM
I would hire the dude. It's a tad pricey yes, but probably worth it, and he'll likely do a better job of it than you could (I'm not questioning your steam-cleaning abilities, but if yours were as good as the dude's wouldn't you be a steam cleaner too?).

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 11:15 PM
See there's a post that shudda ended in :clown: ... :D

Yeah, since I've never steam cleaned before, I don't doubt that anybody else will do it better.

Puppyluv
November 3rd, 2005, 11:19 PM
I thought about adding him, but I snuck him into another poll.. so I refrained.

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 11:29 PM
I saw......

pags
November 4th, 2005, 07:27 AM
I'm one of those people who always tries to do-it-myself first and then I find out that I can't and then I hire somebody to fix my mess. But then I made such a huge mess that it can't be fixed and I have to pay them anyway before I replace whatever it is I was improving in the first place. I didn't see that option in your poll, Prin! All of the above! :D

Uh but if you're trying to come up with the most economical solution right now - hire the dude. All of these great do-it-at-home steamers, cleaners, gadgets, and contraptions are very very good for maintaining stuff.. But don't seem to work worth a hoot for cleaning up old messes.

pags
November 4th, 2005, 07:29 AM
P.S. I love your sofa.

raingirl
November 4th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Do a couple of google searches and you will see that the little green steam machine from Bissell sucks. Don't buy it! It has no power and sucks.

I would rent the ones from the store. For about $30, you get it for 24 hours and can do everything in your house that needs to be cleaned.

The bissel proheat large one is ok but not as good as the rentals. My mom has it. We used it to clean our carpets in our new apartment when we moved in. Took us a whole day just to do two rooms because it was so finicky. It constantly runs out of water/solution and the brushes get clogged REALLY easly, which means you have to take the whole thing apart to remove all the debris.

Prin
November 4th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Thanks, Pags. :o (BTW you go about cleaning things a lot like my dad does, so I know exactly what you mean... :D )

Raingirl, thanks for that. I somehow thought that the rental ones would have been cheaper quality than anything you buy... :o