Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

smelly mattress

amber416
November 3rd, 2005, 01:10 PM
Nature's Miracle has failed me! This has never happened before...

My cat, Penny, urinates on our bed occasionally. About a month or so ago she was doing it all the time. We tried making sure the litterboxes (especially the one in the bedroom) were spotless, we even put fresh litter in the one in the bedroom nightly. She checked out fine at the vet, so we tried keeping her shut in a different bedroom for a couple of nights, hoping she would get back in the habbit of using her litterbox all the time. Then all of a sudden she just stopped and we haven't had any other problems with it until a couple of nights ago. Now she is back to going to the bathroom on the bed. I would say maybe it was stress from our new puppy, but Penny is the only cat that could care less about the puppy.

Anyway, I cannot seem to get the smell out of the mattress. I tried soaking it in Nature's Miracle and letting it air dry twice now and it still reeks. Does anyone have any other product or method suggestions?

jjgeonerd
November 3rd, 2005, 01:57 PM
Have you tried Fabreeze spray? Not sure if it will work on cat urine, but it has worked on everything I've ever tried it on.

Daizy
November 3rd, 2005, 02:08 PM
Have you tried that new foam on the market ... I think Arm & Hammer make it - they do one for pets too. It's on the aisle where all the air fresheners are.

jessi76
November 3rd, 2005, 04:08 PM
In all honesty, I'd probably buy a new mattress. If this had been an ongoing problem, I don't think you'll ever get the smell out. A less expensive idea would be to buy a new pillowtop or something for the existing mattress. (and after doing so, Miss Penny should probably stay out of your bedroom)

Another product is Zero Odor.

good luck!