Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What are My rights??

Vegas0919
November 3rd, 2005, 12:05 PM
Hello Everyone. I am a first time puppy owner and I am not up to date on what my rights are and all that stuff so I need a little direction.

While I was at work today, my partner was kind enough to take my pup for a walk in a near by park. While on that walk, he let her off her leash so she could run and play fetch. Now, this is not an off-leash park...so I do understand that she should have been on a leash. However, we've been there countless times and virtually all of the dog owners in the park, including hired dog walkers, let their dogs off their leash for a little romp/play-fest. This time was different. My partner was approached by a local park authority officer or by-law enforcement officer...something to that extent and told that the dog had to be on a leash. He said ok and proceeded to put her on her leash. After that, the officers asked him for his name and address and told him that he would be hearing from them soon. Sure enough, on his way home, he noticed that the officers had followed him and pulled up along side him and accused him of giving them the wrong information. Next, they wanted proof that he resided at the residence and waited until he unlocked the door and went inside. This was the first incident ever, we have never had any complaints or "warnings" with regards to our puppy. Am I insane to think that this is out of line considering that he complied with the officers and put her on the leash? Needless to say, my partner felt singled out and slightly harassed. Is this normal behaviour for these officers? Has this happened to any one else before?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Sarah :mad: :confused:

raingirl
November 3rd, 2005, 12:35 PM
I guess it depends on where you live? (unfortunately) it may also depend on what type of puppy you have. If you are in Ontario, and the puppy looks like it *might* be a pitbul or similar breed, that could be why.

I know where I live the animal control has really started to crack down on everything. Leash laws and the new ban (muzzles etc).

Schwinn
November 3rd, 2005, 12:52 PM
I'd definitely launch a complaint. That's harassment.

Roxy's_MA
November 3rd, 2005, 12:58 PM
I think if they followed me home it would have upset me as well. I agree with Shwinn that it is a form of harrasment.

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 01:33 PM
They could have given you a fine at the park, but I agree that the whole following you home thing was a bit creepy and unwarranted.

I'm curious as to what kind of puppy you have...

rjames
November 3rd, 2005, 02:24 PM
The way I see it, is you have to do something!!! By-law are like dogs - you must reinforce - otherwise they get out of control.

Did your partner get their names? Make sure you write this information as well as the time, date location and everything that was said as well as what they did. Did anyone witness this? Find out the standard procedure for issuing dog leash tickets.

Personally, I would file a complaint with the city and demand a formal apology. If that doesn't happen within 15-days, I would go to police. That will certainly get their attention! Make sure your statements to are very blunt, this way they will take it more seriously and investigate rather than dismiss it as an angry citizen.

I live in Ottawa where they are just nasty nasty people with no scruples. I once arrived at my car with 3-parking tickets, one from 5-minutes before I arrived, one written up for 1-hour later, and another written up for 2-hours later. I suppose this was so he could go to the bar or something. I never paid for those tickets.

Vegas0919
November 3rd, 2005, 03:37 PM
They could have given you a fine at the park, but I agree that the whole following you home thing was a bit creepy and unwarranted.

I'm curious as to what kind of puppy you have...

She's a Lab Sheltie Cross...all 35lbs of her...she also looks nothing like a "pit bull type dog"...more like a little Shepherd...very little Shepherd...

doggy lover
November 3rd, 2005, 03:53 PM
A co-worker of mine got a ticket for letting her dog run loose this summer. I guess she lernt to keep in on leash after it. i can't remember how expensive it was.

HaleyBug
November 3rd, 2005, 06:19 PM
I am in the states so laws are different However, I was at the doggie beach and was confronted with a law enforcement,park animal control person..(no sure exactly) Anyway same thing stated needed to keep the dogs on the leash (even though it is a dog beach yet they decided no longer can you allow the dogs off leash because so a*& of a person went to police headquarters and complained that her dog is pregnant because it was 'raped' by another dog at the beach...but thats another story ) anyways He asked for id after i gave him info and I informed him i had none on me..he says 'you know i have the right to follow you home so I can see it" i told him it was just in car and he can follow me to car" he did I gave him info and I got warning...maybe similiar situation...

twodogsandacat
November 3rd, 2005, 06:41 PM
Well I would provide a valid address for a warning but certainly if I then knew I were being followed I would take them on many 'errands' first.