Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat just dx'd Diabetic (long)

marrielle
September 11th, 2003, 11:02 AM
Hello to all: My 11 yr.old cat Mini was just dx'd diabetic today. I'm waiting for another thyroid result Saturday as well. Her blood panels were otherwise good (no organ damage) but she has lost a little weight already. I have decided to treat her as long as I can, I want to help her as long as she has a chance and is in no pain. So far, depending on results, my vet and I have decided to start her on a new diet and see how she responds. After that if we are not successful then as I understand it we will try insulin depending on which type of diabetes it is. This looks like a see as you go kind of disease for us so far anyway. If there are any other cat lovers that have dealt with this disease in their older cats I'd love to hear from you. Sorry this is so long, just venting I guess. Here's her picture:
http://www.pets.ca/petsites/viewpet.php?petid=763

Lucky Rescue
September 11th, 2003, 11:09 AM
Mini is very pretty, and very lucky to have a caring person like you!:)

I have not personally dealt with this illness, but do know people who have. With proper management, their cats did just fine.

Good luck!

marrielle
September 11th, 2003, 11:36 AM
Thank you for the reply and the compliment but I feel that it's always been me who has been the lucky one as far as my cat is concerned! I have been surfing for information on her condition and have learned alot just today about it. It's encouraging to know that others have treated this condition with good results. I hope we are able to as well...