Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Has my dog had a stroke??

tori_22
November 3rd, 2005, 10:48 AM
I fear my poor Charlie's had a stroke! I noticed his head tilted to the right at first. He just looked different! I knew straight away something was wrong. When I called him he swayed to the right and fell over. He tried to get up again and fell down. It's heartbreaking! Then I noticed his left eye seemed to be twitching. On further inspection it seemed to be going up into his head as if he's lost control of it. I felt sick. My parents have rushed him to the vet but as Im manning the post at work I couldnt leave. So Im here waiting to hear some news. Can anyone give me some advice? Anyone experienced this with their dog?

Thank you in advance.

Dragonfly
November 3rd, 2005, 11:03 AM
It could be any number of things that we are unable to diagnose over the internet. I would hate to have everyone list their worst case scenarios when it could be something as simple as an ear infection.

As a general rule, posts asking for medical advice are locked immediately. Since your dog is on the way to the vet, I will leave this open.

Please, let us know what the vet says. We do care.

Shaykeija
November 3rd, 2005, 11:53 AM
Sounds like Akeija did when she had her stroke. Scared the crap out of me. She should be ok if it was a mild one. She was her old self within 8 hours. The only left over stuff was a slight tilt to her head. Good luck let us know how she made out.

Daizy
November 3rd, 2005, 11:53 AM
My dog that I grew up with (he was 18 when he died) had a stroke and he just wasn't quite normal & then he started going round in circles. It was obviously very sad, but we did have him put to sleep because it turned out he had had several strokes - hence the going around in circles & after all 18 is a great age for any dog - If I remember correctly because the first stroke was only mild, he could have carried on and even recuperated, but because of the successive strokes and severity this was not possible ... obviously I'm not a vet, just relating my experience, but if it is a stroke, there is still probably hope. Of course until the vet has seen your dog, you really don't know the problem and it could be just a plain ol' ear infection as the moderator says. I hope it is. Let us know how you he is.

tori_22
November 3rd, 2005, 12:23 PM
Well, Charlie's back from the vet. She suspects Vestibular Disease?? She took some blood tests so we wont know for sure unitl the results come back. In the meantime she prescribed some ear drops in case it is just an ear infection. Just playing the waiting game now.
I just let my poor Charlie into the garden and he couldn't pee properly. He looks drunk!

Thanks for all your replies. I'll keep you posted.

Jazz&Cricket
November 3rd, 2005, 01:54 PM
I hope he recovers. Brandy, my first dog, had a stroke when she was about 12-13 years old. She recovered nicely, without medication and finally went to the Rainbow Bridge at 16 1/2.

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 02:14 PM
Well, Charlie's back from the vet. She suspects Vestibular Disease?? She took some blood tests so we wont know for sure unitl the results come back. In the meantime she prescribed some ear drops in case it is just an ear infection. Just playing the waiting game now.
I just let my poor Charlie into the garden and he couldn't pee properly. He looks drunk!
Vestibular disease isn't as bad as a stroke, IMO. I hope he gets better soon... :fingerscr

K9Friend
November 4th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Keep us posted! :pawprint:

Dragonfly
November 4th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Thank you for the update and please keep us posted.