so we don't know what Animal Control would have done
then - ticket?, confiscate a dog?)

(This is a fairly small out of the way park, bounded
by homes on two sides and by the Valley. At this time
of the year it is very quiet, mainly frequented by dog
owners who know each other.)

raingirl
November 3rd, 2005, 10:25 AM
well, it is illegal to have dogs off leash in Toronto, unless you are in a designated leash free area. In fact, it's also illegal to have flexi leashes technically, as the leash bylaw states they have to be on a leash that is less than 2 metres.

I don't beleive that Wellesley park is one of the leash free areas in Toronto.

BMDLuver
November 3rd, 2005, 10:33 AM
As I see it, if it's not a designated off leash park, then the Animal Control officer was doing his job. What a pitbull has to do with anything is beyond me.. no matter what type of dog, on a leash is the law.

twodogsandacat
November 3rd, 2005, 10:59 AM
Can't fault them for doing their job. Maybe if more people had done their jobs to see that bylaws were followed we wouldn’t be in a situation where pit bulls are unjustly restricted as a whole.

I definitely felt all along and still do that we need to enforce the laws we have (for all dogs) rather than create new laws. I also believe however that there need to be an adequate number of dog parks.

mastifflover
November 3rd, 2005, 11:10 AM
Bmd and Twocatsandadog I think that this is a bonus for Pit owners because all those owners of small dogs (and others) who thought this law was good are just getting a taste of what pit owners are going through and bottom line is AC is doing there job. Now maybe some of those dog owners who thought it would not have any affect on them are now smelling the coffee and realizing they are also at risk of tickets. Maybe AC is doing this to prove that they are going to target all owners of dogs not just the banned breeds. It could in turn work to their advantage. I hope they nail all the off leash dogs in non designated areas. If owners fight this in court they will tie up the courts.

lezzpezz
November 3rd, 2005, 11:14 AM
If the park is not an off-leash designated area, no matter how quiet and "enclosed" the park is, and the 3 dogs were off leash, the owners deserve to be ticketed as they were breaking the law.

It is owners that choose to ignore the off leash laws that make it harder for those that do adhere to the laws. It's called irresponsible ownership. It ticks me off to see people blatantly disregarding the rules just so their dogs can have a little free run time, and I am here with my leashed dogs watching as other dogs run amok, often not under voice control of the owners, who are busy having a coffee clatch with other preoccupied owners. And then the dogs get hurt or into a scuffle or irritate bikers, joggers, pedestrians and other dogs. :confused:

This is why we have leash free areas...instead of griping about being ticketed when they are clearly in the wrong, why not advocate for a leash free park in the area?

Schwinn
November 3rd, 2005, 02:34 PM
Why is he fighting? Did he break the law? People like that drive me nuts.

Invicta
November 3rd, 2005, 05:34 PM
Animal Control was in the same park today and handed out 7 more tickets.

The point of me posting this was not that the guy is fighting it. He was in the wrong. Leash laws are leash laws and we wouldn't have the problems we do if existing laws were followed and enforced.

The point is that AC is out enforcing bylaws 2 days in a row at the same park. I'm just worried about the consequences should a banned breed be out walking off leash or without a muzzle. This is a quiet park this time of year. OR if someone just reports them to be. Who's word would be taken as true?

babyrocky1
November 3rd, 2005, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the post Invicta, I 'm wondering were theyre getting the manpower to go to a small park two days in a row. It used to be that people, non dog owner people, were calling
AC all the time to complain about all the off leash dogs, my neighbourhood sounds similar to this one. They got no were cause AC didn't have the time. My concern is that suddenly they have officers, I had heard that Toronto has hired more officers because of this ban. I hope this is not the case but if they are upholding all the laws and not just coming after pitties then I guess thats better than just coming after us!!!! I could certainly stand to see a few of the harrassers in my neighbourhood get ticketed! I have put in a call to my city counceller asking these questions, have new bi-law enforcemnt officers been hired? How have they been trained? Who is paying for then? and will they be enforicing all bi-laws or just Bill 132? I tried to call the mayor but they transfered me to animal services and I didn't want to talk to them.

babyrocky1
November 3rd, 2005, 06:01 PM
The point is that AC is out enforcing bylaws 2 days in a row at the same park. I'm just worried about the consequences should a banned breed be out walking off leash or without a muzzle. This is a quiet park this time of year. OR if someone just reports them to be. Who's word would be taken as true?I have heard that the complainants word can be taken and your dog can be seized. :eek: I have never gotten clarification that this cannot happen, only that it is unlikely....the source I heard this from is very reliable. I am going to be using that free legal service that I posted on the other thread but I think you can only use it once so I want to research everything I can first. I also doubt if they would know too much about this yet.

CyberKitten
November 3rd, 2005, 06:27 PM
Re: Why is he fighting? Did he break the law? People like that drive me nuts.

I agree with Schwinn here. Why would anyone brake the law to start with and then complain about it. If I get a speeding ticket, it's my own fault (I have been lucky with a few warnings but I try not to overdo it). I cringe when I see someone with a dog offleash in an area where it is prohibited. They may well be the best dog owner in the city but the fact they are thumbing their nose at the law says to me they don;t care about other people or for that matter their dog. Or for other dog owners. Their actions hurt the rest of us!! Just think of how ppl who do not like dogs or are not keen about animals or fear dogs will react. Laws are made for a reason and yes, some of them - like the BSL ban the breed one in Ontario - are silly and I hate it. But one will not change a bad law by breaking it. Legal and political action WILL accomplish that. I would say to the person who broke the anti leash law to grow up!

babyrocky1
November 3rd, 2005, 06:43 PM
CK I too agree that the guy shouldn't fight it if he did it, but, in Toronto there are hundreds of parks with dogs in it that are off leash. It is the culture of the city. Right or wrong thats the way it is. If this is going to change, alot of people are going to go into shock, thier way of life with their dog is totally over! Not like it is for us. because they don't have to muzzle or deal with the fines and jail time and most importantly the fact that our dogs could be PTS over an infraction. I am abiding by the muzzling law, yet today, as paranoid as I am, and believe me I AM paranoid, I totally forgot myself, had Rocky on lead cause I was on my property,, and then realised I had lost my keys in the park, I ran outside in a panick and started looking for them...looked down at the dog WITHOUT his muzzle on and freaked...ran back into the apartment as fast as my arthritic knees could carry meLOL...all the way thinking OMG which one of my nasty neighbours is around with cameras in their cell phones! :crazy: OHHH the DRAMA!

doggirl
November 4th, 2005, 12:01 AM
CK I too agree that the guy shouldn't fight it if he did it, but, in Toronto there are hundreds of parks with dogs in it that are off leash. It is the culture of the city. Right or wrong thats the way it is.

And it's this "I don't need to abide by the law" attitude that causes problems. Why people think that just because they love their dog, that any stranger should have to be subject to having anyone's dogs come in their space if they want to go walk in the park, or not be able to take their leashed dog to the park if it's iffy with other dogs, is mind-boggling. This bichon owner needs a reality check. On what grounds is he going to fight this? That he's above the law? Unreal.

I had my foster dog in a conservation area recently, on a flexilead. She is a dominant bitch and sometimes snarky during intros, but all of 32 lbs and all talk. Most dogs she's fine with, just the occasional one she doesn't click with she'll snark at. This couple were approaching and their dog comes up to my foster dog, their dog was probably 65 lbs and offlead. He said "she just wants to play with everyone". The 2 dogs were meeting and then spontaneously they got into a minor mouth-off. My dog being onlead she was in control in seconds but the other dog kept coming at mine. Trying to protect her face/head and also keep her teeth away from the other dog I had her front paws off the ground. The owner was nonchalantly saying his dog's name, his dog was ignoring. After several seconds I boomed "OFF" to the other dog. She finally stopped and went back to the owners. I checked my dog over and decided not to say anything cuz I was too ticked and I may not be polite (plus hopefully they were embarassed and learned). Well the guy ends up coming up to me a minute later and said "if your dog isn't good with other dogs you should keep her back". ????? Needless to say there was an exchange and I told him he's got a lot of nerve, wandering around with his dog offlead and expecting other ONLEAD dogs to be accomodating his dog's behavior. His response - "my dog doesn't fight". I said "HELLO YOUR DOG JUST DID FIGHT, mine was in control in a second, you think it was mine that was aggressing as she was off the ground???" What a freaking sense of entitlement to someone who thinks that they can do whatever they want and everyone else has to work around them. Not to mention being totally clueless as to the fact that his dog sure does fight. It wasn't a serious fight but that's irrelevent, if my dog had been injured I'd have expected he pay the bill.

They didn't even have a leash on them. They walked away holding onto the dog by the collar. People like this make it hard on the responsible dog owners. You wonder why there are leash laws in these parks, and why some of them don't even allow leashed dogs.

SnowDancer
November 4th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Animal Control is out in force in Toronto these days, especially asking for proof that dogs - all breeds - are licensed - an area that they seem to have let lapse over past few years. You get one warning. When I heard it happened to a fellow in my husband's office, I immediately had my pet licensed - good thing, animal control stopped me last week and ask for my dog's tag number. Re leash and off-leash. My dog is always leashed - regular, not flexible - he is not turning a corner 40 feet ahead of me. I live across the street from a park that is not off leash, yet many people let their very large dogs run loose and there have been attacks. Doesn't matter if the little guys bark at the big ones and the big dogs go after the little guys, the bottom line is it wouldn't happen if the dogs were leashed. I never go into the park, but I have to walk by it to walk my dog and the loose dogs have not problem charging him - and do not listen to their owners. They should all be fined in my opinion.

Schwinn
November 4th, 2005, 01:18 PM
The point of me posting this was not that the guy is fighting it. He was in the wrong. Leash laws are leash laws and we wouldn't have the problems we do if existing laws were followed and enforced.

The point is that AC is out enforcing bylaws 2 days in a row at the same park. I'm just worried about the consequences should a banned breed be out walking off leash or without a muzzle. This is a quiet park this time of year. OR if someone just reports them to be. Who's word would be taken as true?

Thanks, Invicta. I think those of us "criminals" are all a little sensitive these days when we see those who own dogs who "aren't the problem" get uppity about following the law.

Dukieboy
November 4th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Animal Control is out in force in Toronto these days, especially asking for proof that dogs - all breeds - are licensed - an area that they seem to have let lapse over past few years. You get one warning. When I heard it happened to a fellow in my husband's office, I immediately had my pet licensed - good thing, animal control stopped me last week and ask for my dog's tag number. Re leash and off-leash. My dog is always leashed - regular, not flexible - he is not turning a corner 40 feet ahead of me. I live across the street from a park that is not off leash, yet many people let their very large dogs run loose and there have been attacks. Doesn't matter if the little guys bark at the big ones and the big dogs go after the little guys, the bottom line is it wouldn't happen if the dogs were leashed. I never go into the park, but I have to walk by it to walk my dog and the loose dogs have not problem charging him - and do not listen to their owners. They should all be fined in my opinion.

I am in the same situation, I agree totally. I called Animal Services and they said because it is a school field it is private property and they would have to hear from the principal. I will be damned if my innocent boy cannot leave the house without a muzzle and those dogs can run around off leash and clearly trespassing. All you can see out my front window on Sat and Sun am are 10 - 20 dogs running around off leash. There is a huge sign saying NO DOGS. I emailed the School Board, I am waiting to see if they are going to deal with it. I don't usually do stuff like this but this seems to be what it has come to.

babyrocky1
November 4th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Dukie Boy...You just posted that if its a "school fence" they would have to here from the principal cause its private property!!!! then would that not apply to my yard situation....or would it be different cause its a pittie????? Could this actually be good news?????? :fingerscr Did you get the name fo the person you talked to???Sometimes AC tells different people different things.

babyrocky1
November 4th, 2005, 06:10 PM
I just heard from my friend with A GSD that a "bi -law enforcement officer" not AC, was in our park "'warning" the off-leash dog owners yesterday. Alot of activitie going on thats for sure, I havent heard back from my city counsillor and Im not too happy about the lack of response grrrrr. I hope Im still allowed to growl, or am I exhibiting menacing behaviour?

Loki
November 4th, 2005, 06:38 PM
They are definitely enforcing the existing by-laws more than in the past.
By-law enforcement did a three day stint at a park near my house at the beginning of the summer. I also remember seeing a news story, in the early summer, about "outraged owners" in the beaches that got nailed with fines for no-leash.

I agree with Snowdancer about them looking for unlicenced dogs also - When they did the BSL study, TO councillors said they wanted to increase revenue from dog owners( and TO's 90% unlicensed rate was brought up quite a few times).

Conners
November 6th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Are the police also looking for people not abiding by the rules? I'm seeing crusers parked where I've never seen them before. But because of my nature, as I'm walking Shasta, leashed and muzzled, I smile and wave to him each time. LOL It just seems strange and perhaps I will ask him next time I walk past there.

CyberKitten
November 6th, 2005, 07:12 PM
I am just so sorry to hear you all have to go thru this and babyrocky, I can oinly imagine how scary that must have been!! It is so unfair to pitties who throughout history have such a wonderful reputation. So many ppl have no idea that the RCA Dog is a pittie. I often use that as a point of reference. I do wish you all luck!!

mona_b
November 6th, 2005, 09:24 PM
So many ppl have no idea that the RCA Dog is a pittie.

Actually CK,it's not a Pittie.Nipper was actuallly a Bull Terrier/JRT mix.This was the original one in 1884.The recent one in the commercials,another Nipper is a JRT,and the little gaffer is Chipper....:D

Well it's about time they got off their butts and started doing this.They should have been doing this quite some time ago.And I'm sorry,but owners who let their dog off leash in a non offleash park are very irrisponsible.But now those who think they can get away with it won't be so lucky anymore.

As for the licence,sorry,but they should all be licenced.Something I have always done with all my dogs.Three years ago I forgot to send my renewel out(Dec)..I got a letter from them stating that I would be fined $160.Well it was sent out ASAP.

Are the police also looking for people not abiding by the rules? I'm seeing crusers parked where I've never seen them before.

Which rules Conners?The ones that are being talked about on here?

LoNScamp
November 6th, 2005, 09:51 PM
I've heard of fines being given out in the Yonge/St. Clair area over the summer. AC/by-law officers were targetting dog walkers mostly. Which in my opinion they should. No one should have 5 or 6 dogs and have them off leash, particularly if you don't own the dogs and the bond is not that great. To clarify the dogs were off leash in a non-designated area. There is also a by-law stating how many dogs a walker can walk at once. My understanding is that someone called and complained about the dogs being off leash. People including the walkers were allowing the dogs to go into wadding pools. AC/by-law officers did a blitz and visited the parks and the ravine on a regular basis.

I get the impression they target an area then move on to the next one.

I mentioned several weeks ago that I participated in a neighbourhood safety audit and the issue of pits as well as the off leash park came up. I spoke to my coucillors assistant and was to e-mail her re dog issues. To date I haven't had a chance to contact her. I will do it this week and ask some of the questions that have been raised. I'll let you know the responses.

They are looking at revoking the off leash status of the park behind my house. There is a lot of validity to the city doing so. Dog owners can be really inconsiderate and ignorant when it comes to off-leash areas, particularly in allowing thier dogs to have free roam of the whole park and surrounding areas. Which is my issue, having had two sick dogs that I couldn't walk along the boundries of the park in areas not desiganted as off lead.

I whole heartedly agree that if you have your dog off-leash in non-designated areas and get caught you pay the price.

Conners
November 6th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Which rules Conners?The ones that are being talked about on here?
Any of the new law rules...making sure the dogs are properly muzzled, length of leash, not running free, etc.
Just there never was cruisers parked there before and maybe coincident, but since the ban, it just sits there with police inside and facing the sidewalk, but not near an exit close incase of a road incident...so makes me think he is watching the sidewalk...like people walking their dogs.

LoNScamp
November 6th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Conners

The impression I have gotten from the cops in the division I live in is that they are not in the least bit intersted in dealing with the Pit issue. I think the situtaion you are describing might be a case of the cops doing their work to rule thing. They apparently don't patrol and sit in their cursiers and wait for a call from dispatch.

I know of a dingbat who called the cops because their was a pit off-leash in the park behind her house, they never did make it to her house to check it out. Unless their is a "vicious" incident I don't think they are going to bother with the Pits, particularly during their work to rule.

Conners
November 6th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Conners

The impression I have gotten from the cops in the division I live in is that they are not in the least bit intersted in dealing with the Pit issue. I think the situtaion you are describing might be a case of the cops doing their work to rule thing. They apparently don't patrol and sit in their cursiers and wait for a call from dispatch.

I know of a dingbat who called the cops because their was a pit off-leash in the park behind her house, they never did make it to her house to check it out. Unless their is a "vicious" incident I don't think they are going to bother with the Pits, particularly during their work to rule.
It could be something as simple of some shop lifting done from the stores and the police sitting to deter it from happening again. Guess with the ban, I'm assumimg everything has got to do with our pitties. I'm abiding, so I wasn't afraid but rather releived. Who's going to say anything nasty to you with a cop right there. LOL

mona_b
November 6th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Any of the new law rules...making sure the dogs are properly muzzled, length of leash, not running free, etc.
Just there never was cruisers parked there before and maybe coincident, but since the ban, it just sits there with police inside and facing the sidewalk, but not near an exit close incase of a road incident...so makes me think he is watching the sidewalk...like people walking their dogs.

The Police have nothing to do with any of this(as of yet).

babyrocky1
November 6th, 2005, 10:41 PM
I get the same impression from Toronto cops, I live in fourteen division and I have spoken to 52 division. But they are on work to rule, so pitties un-muzzled are not exactly an emergency. BTW if your watching the news tonight, apparantly there was a very violent rape committed last night in one of the condos that I walk my MUZZLED pit bull by at one in the morning, but then Ontario is so safe now that the pitties are muzzled. :mad:

mona_b
November 6th, 2005, 10:47 PM
It could be something as simple of some shop lifting done from the stores and the police sitting to deter it from happening again.

It could be anything..But please don't worry.Your a great Mommy doing everything to protect your baby and abiding to the ban....;)

Conners
November 7th, 2005, 03:10 AM
It could be anything..But please don't worry.Your a great Mommy doing everything to protect your baby and abiding to the ban....;)
Thanks moma-b, I try. But you know this ban has everyone scared that they 'might' be still doing 'something' wrong and not even aware of it. This law is making everybody nervous.
One think I'm not sure about and I went to the gov of Ont page, to see if it's allowed.
You know how I use Shasta as a Theray Dog (uncertified), well, when I leave her outside the store tied up to a pole, is that within the law? She's on a leash with her muzzle on, but I saw something about a person hold them, but nothing about the tie ups in public.

PetFriendly
November 7th, 2005, 06:02 PM
You know how I use Shasta as a Theray Dog (uncertified), well, when I leave her outside the store tied up to a pole, is that within the law? She's on a leash with her muzzle on, but I saw something about a person hold them, but nothing about the tie ups in public.

I'm not crazy familiar with the legislation, but it is my opinion that as long as you are still in control of the dog and its on a leash you're ok. So you'd have to make sure that there is no way anyone could un-tie the dog and set it 'free' so to speak. If you aren't sure though, call your City Hall and ask, if you don't get a response, call their boss, and just keep escalating until someone answers your question.

Conners
November 8th, 2005, 01:06 PM
I just talked to a woman who is going to talk to me about my disabilities. She's a trainer for Service Dogs, etc. She just recently trained a pittie, so it sounds promising. THEN I wouldn't HAVE to tie her outside. Kepp your fingers crossed!:fingerscr

mona_b
November 8th, 2005, 10:27 PM
I just talked to a woman who is going to talk to me about my disabilities. She's a trainer for Service Dogs, etc. She just recently trained a pittie, so it sounds promising. THEN I wouldn't HAVE to tie her outside. Kepp your fingers crossed!:fingerscr

OMG,that's great....:thumbs up

I have EVERYTHING crossed...And you know what I'm talking about Conners...;) :p

As far as I know,there are no laws stating they can't be tied up.And I haven't heard of anyone getting a ticket for doing so.

Conners
November 9th, 2005, 05:13 PM
OMG,that's great....:thumbs up

I have EVERYTHING crossed...And you know what I'm talking about Conners...;) :p

As far as I know,there are no laws stating they can't be tied up.And I haven't heard of anyone getting a ticket for doing so.
:highfive: I bought her a caged muzzle, the kind with leather around the snout to protect her face. Today I gave her a choice, do you want the cage or the comfort muzzle. She wanted the cage, so I put it on her. Once outside, I think she regretted her discision until she got attention from nearly everyone. Comming home she held her head high...only thing is I may get a few bruises on my left leg for when she accidently bumps it.

As far as tied up now with the caged muzzle, how the heck could she pose a threat to anyone! When I came out of the store she was getting pets from a whole bunch of people, so the muzzle to a dog lover doesn't make a bit of beans. But don't worry, I have my statement ready from the Ontario Government page IF I do come across some dip stick that wants to get mouthy and make noise and I will reply nicely, but load enough for all to hear!

LoNScamp
November 11th, 2005, 09:31 PM

I don't want to offend anyone or ruffle anyones feathers, but I think it is really dangerous to leave any dog outside of a store, library etc. You never know what can happen. The dog could be approached by an aggressive dog and have no escape route if it is tied (if it is not tied it is a by-law infraction), by the time the owner gets to their dog there could be major damage; the dog could be stolen, I know someone whose 130 Rottie was stolen from in front of a downtown video store; if the dog should get excited even in a friendly way and knock a child or frail person over then there is a problem. If it is a pit it is even more dangerous given the climate around the breed, particularly if the owner isn't there to witness what happened. My feeling is if the dog can't be taken into a place it is safer at home.

Conners
November 12th, 2005, 12:32 AM
I don't want to offend anyone or ruffle anyones feathers, but I think it is really dangerous to leave any dog outside of a store, library etc. You never know what can happen. The dog could be approached by an aggressive dog and have no escape route if it is tied (if it is not tied it is a by-law infraction), by the time the owner gets to their dog there could be major damage; the dog could be stolen, I know someone whose 130 Rottie was stolen from in front of a downtown video store; if the dog should get excited even in a friendly way and knock a child or frail person over then there is a problem. If it is a pit it is even more dangerous given the climate around the breed, particularly if the owner isn't there to witness what happened. My feeling is if the dog can't be taken into a place it is safer at home.
I understand that and it frightens me too, but you see, I can not do a lot of things without her help. That's why I'm trying so hard to get her properly trained and certified, so she won't HAVE to be left outside while I rush in...and I do mean RUSH!
People say they will help, but when it comes to needing things done, you sometimes wait weeks. Shasta has given me that independence to be able to go out and grab groceries and pull them with the wagon.
If it wasn't for my disabilities, I wouldn' even consider it. She is also my confidence with the public.
You don't offend me, nor ruffle my feathers and know your concern is for the dog and I'd be devistated if I lost her, however when it comes to some situations, I NEED her, so I try to do things in broad daylight and with plenty of people knowing who she belongs to.

LoNScamp
November 12th, 2005, 10:56 PM
I understand that and it frightens me too, but you see, I can not do a lot of things without her help. That's why I'm trying so hard to get her properly trained and certified, so she won't HAVE to be left outside while I rush in...and I do mean RUSH!
People say they will help, but when it comes to needing things done, you sometimes wait weeks. Shasta has given me that independence to be able to go out and grab groceries and pull them with the wagon.
If it wasn't for my disabilities, I wouldn' even consider it. She is also my confidence with the public.
You don't offend me, nor ruffle my feathers and know your concern is for the dog and I'd be devistated if I lost her, however when it comes to some situations, I NEED her, so I try to do things in broad daylight and with plenty of people knowing who she belongs to.
Conners, I apologize, I misunderstood what you were talking about when you were talking about disabilities. I didn't realize that you meant she was assisting you. May I ask what functions Shasta performs for you? The women who runs the rescue I got Lola from, has been involved in testing therapy dogs and doing temperment tests for shelter dogs for years and probably has all kinds of contacts. If you like I can ask her if she can provide leads on someone who may be able to help in getting Shasta certified as a service dog. I don't know for sure, but if she was certified as a therapy dog you may be able to do things with her you can't now. My Kaos was a therapy dog, she had a scarf and tag that indicated her to be one. I think it would be much faster and easier to certify her as a therapy dog than a service dog, this is of course if it allows you to do the things you need to with her.

Conners
November 13th, 2005, 02:27 AM
Conners, I apologize, I misunderstood what you were talking about when you were talking about disabilities. I didn't realize that you meant she was assisting you. May I ask what functions Shasta performs for you? The women who runs the rescue I got Lola from, has been involved in testing therapy dogs and doing temperment tests for shelter dogs for years and probably has all kinds of contacts. If you like I can ask her if she can provide leads on someone who may be able to help in getting Shasta certified as a service dog. I don't know for sure, but if she was certified as a therapy dog you may be able to do things with her you can't now. My Kaos was a therapy dog, she had a scarf and tag that indicated her to be one. I think it would be much faster and easier to certify her as a therapy dog than a service dog, this is of course if it allows you to do the things you need to with her.
PLEASE! No apologizes needed. I need her more for Service than Therapy, although I need her for therapy too as she is my confidence.
I have a wagon and sled that she pulls home my groceries home in and she takes out my groceries the same way.
Before her, I couldn't leave my home or talk to strange people due to phobias, but she has got me over that. Now you can't stop me from talking to people, especially when it comes to talking about Shasta and the Pit bull ban. We educate people too about the breeds and responsible ownership of ALL dogs. Something that 3 years ago I NEVER imagined I would ever do.
I can even ride a bike and she runs along beside me and that has given us freedom to go a little further than just around home.
Unfortunately, I still have a phobia of public transit and that both her and I would have to be trained to be able to take. :eek:
If I could take her directly into stores, I wouldn't have the anxiety of leaving her outside. My disabilities are physical, emotional and health wise. Shasta makes me feel perfectly normal and loves me just the way I am. When I'm in a flair, she knows it and stays by my side the whole time.
There is a woman here in London I've contacted at K9 Concepts, Anne MacDonald and she's working with a Pit bull right now helping teaching him to pick up small items likes screws for his owner. She's VERY good, but VERY busy. She does training of all kinds and very highly recommended.
I'm just waiting for her phone call to see what disabilities I have that we can get Shasta to help me out with. I'm sooo excited as I know if Shasta gets trained properly and certified, the SKY'S the limit!!!! :fingerscr The hardest part is waiting for the phone call!!!!

mona_b
November 14th, 2005, 10:42 PM
I think it would be much faster and easier to certify her as a therapy dog than a service dog, this is of course if it allows you to do the things you need to with her.

Unfortunately there is a difference between a therapy dog and a service dog.A therapy dog(which is your own dog) is one who makes visits to either a hospital or a nursing/retirement home.So in actual,this dog is being theraputic for seniors and sick children.

A service dog(which can be your own dog) is one who has been trained for helping the owner with different disabilities.Or even those who have seizures.A friend of my moms has a service dog.Radar is a Weimaraner.He detects seizures in my Moms friend.Service dogs can go anywhere.In stores,buses,churches,you name it,the dog can go.

Also,with this Pittie ban(which is what Shasta is)they are not wanting to train these breeds for this type of work.I have heard that they won't even accept them for therapy.And this goes for the St.Johns Ambulance.

Remember,this is a breed that must be muzzled now.....:sad:

Conners
November 15th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Unfortunately there is a difference between a therapy dog and a service dog.A therapy dog(which is your own dog) is one who makes visits to either a hospital or a nursing/retirement home.So in actual,this dog is being theraputic for seniors and sick children.

A service dog(which can be your own dog) is one who has been trained for helping the owner with different disabilities.Or even those who have seizures.A friend of my moms has a service dog.Radar is a Weimaraner.He detects seizures in my Moms friend.Service dogs can go anywhere.In stores,buses,churches,you name it,the dog can go.

Also,with this Pittie ban(which is what Shasta is)they are not wanting to train these breeds for this type of work.I have heard that they won't even accept them for therapy.And this goes for the St.Johns Ambulance.

Remember,this is a breed that must be muzzled now.....:sad:
I understand what you are saying Mona, but Shasta is MY Therapy Dog. Without here I would be lost, lonely and sad. She's my Therapy Dog because she makes me laugh when I'm sad or in the deepest pain. She can cheer me up by me talking to her and her responding to me as if she knows what I'm saying. I'm convinced we have a mental communication gift. When I'm really down for a flair (and sometimes that could be months) she never leaves my side. She's protecting me and watching over me as an angel would. She knows and doesn't complain that there is no playtime. Her only concern is me. Whether she is muzzled or not, does not prevent me from being happy that she is in my life, so in that way, she may not help others (yet she has), but she can help me.

A certified Service Dog would allow me more independence with her as the part of me not being able to do what they would train her to do. She has already done so much for me and brought me a long way without the cerification, but there is soooo much more that I would be able to do without the boundaries I come across because of her not certified.

I only want to live the best I can with all the illnesses, phobias, and disabilities that I have. So although I realize St. Johns does not permit Pit bull breeds Therapy dogs, does not prevent her from being mine. I'm sick and in as much need as a Therapy Dog as many in the homes and hospitals.

Yesterday, there were many heavy packages that would have taken all my strength away from me if I had to bring them by myself. I would have been in bed for probably 3 weeks if I attempted to try to go back and forth to drag them. Instead, I put them all in a wagon and Shasta with her pull harness, pulled them for me as if it was nothing to her. She was happy to do it and I wasn't bed ridden from it or in pain. That's why it's SO important that I get her properly certified!!!

mona_b
November 15th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Oh I definately know all this Conners...;)
And I know she has definately made you feel so much better having her there for you.

I was just letting LoNScamp know that there is a difference between the therapy dog and the service dog.And it would be more of a benefit to have Shasta as a service dog.They are the ones that can go everywhere.:)

Conners,have you heard back from that woman yet?

Conners
November 15th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Oh I definately know all this Conners...;)
And I know she has definately made you feel so much better having her there for you.

I was just letting LoNScamp know that there is a difference between the therapy dog and the service dog.And it would be more of a benefit to have Shasta as a service dog.They are the ones that can go everywhere.:)

Conners,have you heard back from that woman yet?
:sad: Not yet. I'm going to phone her again if I'm feeling better. So do I NEED to have her certified as a Therapy Dog when it's just for me? Or can I just go straight for the Therapy Program?

Conners
November 15th, 2005, 10:22 PM
:Or can I just go straight for the Therapy Program?
I meant Service Dog! Duh!

mona_b
November 15th, 2005, 10:33 PM
I meant Service Dog! Duh!

That's ok,I knew what you meant...LOL

I would definately go straight for the Service Dog.

As for the Therapy Dog(certified)for just you,I haven't heard of that before.I mean having your own dog being a therapy dog for yourself.Certified Therapy Dogs are used and brought into hospitals and nursing/retirement homes as therapy for the residents and patients.You can look into it and give it a try.But I'm not sure it can be done.

Geez I hope this all made sense.It's been a VERY long day.