Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Spray collar to stop rooster behavior?

kayla
November 3rd, 2005, 09:24 AM
I'm fostering a rooster. My foster has consistently woken up everyone up in the apartment (hopefully not our neighbors too :o ) at the crack of dawn every morning since I got him. He doesn't do it because he has to pee or anything. I know this because I have come downstairs to let him out and watch him and he doesn't pee just waits to come back in again. I don't want to train him that every time he barks I come downstairs, but at the same time don't want to let him continue barking while he wakes everyone up! I'm wondering if a spray collar would be a good way to stop this behavior? If anyone has used this with success (or failure) or has any other suggestions please share!

Lucky Rescue
November 3rd, 2005, 10:27 AM
He doesn't do it because he has to pee or anything. I know this because I have come downstairs to let him out and watch him and he doesn't pee just waits to come back in again. I don't want to train him that every time he barks I come downstairs,

Well, you have trained him to do exactly what he's doing!:p

To get him over this, you need to either ignore him until he's quiet (difficult to do in an apartment, I know) or have him sleep next to your bed so you can hush him if he starts to bark and he can learn you will NOT get up until he's quiet.

He's probably lonely downstairs, and is in a new home, and is probably trying to summon the "pack".

kayla
November 3rd, 2005, 10:49 AM
Well, you have trained him to do exactly what he's doing!:p

I know, sigh, but I can't just let him continue to bark and wake everyone up. I ignored him for a while this morning and he quieted down, then someone got up to pee and he started up again, then I waited until he was quiet and came downstairs so he wouldn't start up again and get me in trouble :o . Kayla also sleeps downstairs, so he really shouldn't be that lonely.

Upstairs is supposed to be the dog-free safety zone for a very scaredy cat, otherwise I would let him sleep there with me. Although if it's the only option I might have to carry him up there just to sleep.

What about the citronella spray collar? Do you think this could be a possible solution?

Roxy's_MA
November 3rd, 2005, 10:55 AM
The citronella spray collars worked really well for my Mother-in-law's min pins. They barked when company came over. They would just follow me around the house barking. (not the most well behaved dogs). The collars worked really well for this, and from what I could tell they seem very humane.

happycats
November 3rd, 2005, 11:39 AM
It sounds like his previous owner must have done something with him at that time of the morning. Maybe he/she gave him breakfast, or spent time with him, or even woke up at that time.
I just think citronella spray is a little harsh, for an already scared and confused and abandoned dog. (it may do more damage)
Maybe spend a night down on the couch just to see exactly what he does.

kayla
November 3rd, 2005, 11:52 AM
Oh I already know exactly what he does. He sits at the baby gate and barks. And if I go downstairs he wags and tries to jump the gate to say hello. I mean it's really cute, if only it didn't happen at 530-6am!

That's a good point about the previous owners doing something at that time, you're probably right on that one. Plus the time change makes them get up even earlier.

What if I tried the collar when I'm around first and see how he reacts to it, if he seems scared I won't use it? I could let him sleep in my bedroom too, just make sure he doesn't get loose upstairs and chase the cat. Oh decisions decisions!

Lucky Rescue
November 3rd, 2005, 11:55 AM
You could tether him to your bedpost to make sure he doesn't chase the cat.

I personally would not use a citronella collar on this dog, who has had a lot of stress on him already.

kayla
November 3rd, 2005, 12:38 PM
Hmmm, didn't really think about the collar as something that would cause him that much stress. Isn't it just a minor deterant? If you think it will cause a lot of stress though I don't want to use it. The leash is a good idea, maybe just for carrying him up and down in case he squirms out of my arms. I'm not even sure if he will want to chase the cat, but he is terrier so you never know.

shannonRN
November 3rd, 2005, 02:10 PM
When I read the first part of your post, I thought "Wow, now she's fostering poultry? You can't expect a rooster to not act like a rooster!" LOL, sometimes I can be so literal.

He probably got used to getting up for work at that time with the previous owners. Does he always wake up at that time, even if you've been up late? I was thinking if you could take turns keeping him up a little later at night, you could establish a pattern with him in the mornings where he gets used to your routine, and learns he doesn't have to bark, then work on expanding the time frame by going to bed a little earlier.

doggirl
November 3rd, 2005, 11:44 PM
Try keeping him in a room where you can completely cover the windows so that no light comes in. Or get a cover for the blinds in the room the dog is currently in that really block out the light. Some dogs are triggered by the morning light to wake up, and it's tough to get them to just go back to sleep when their day has already begun. If no light can get in, their interior alarm clock doesn't go off. I'd be interested to know if this helps you, if blocking the light completely extinguishes this behavior.

Good luck.

Puppyluv
November 4th, 2005, 12:10 AM
LOL Shannon, I thought she was fostering a real rooster too!
What is the coat like on your foster? I have heard great things about the citronella collars on short-haired dogs, but it was absolutely useless for my parents' dog, who has long fur, because the bark doesn't properly trigger the spray, and then the spray just gets stuck in the fur. Just something to consider before going out and buying one.

Prin
November 4th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Aren't cit. collars bulky? Keep in mind this beastie has to sleep with it on...

kayla
November 4th, 2005, 12:50 AM
Well the coat WAS long but he was just shaved (I posted the before/after pics here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=20950)

Actually the rescue lady offered to lend me her collar, so I wouldn't have to waste money. I was going to go pick it up tonight but decided to try out sleeping with him in my room for a bit. I've never used one so I'm not sure how bulky they are Prin, didn't really think about that part of it good point though... This is why I ask questions here, brainstorming ;)

cpietra16
November 4th, 2005, 09:18 AM
I finally saw the picture and realized that it was not an actual rooster. I am not sure about "dog lingo" so can you please tell me what does rooster mean? Is it a type of dog, a nickname, does it stand for something?. Sorry to be so dense, but I can't seem to get around the word rooster. Thanks

Prin
November 4th, 2005, 09:24 AM
It means that he wakes her up at the crack of dawn with a lot of noise... ;)

kayla
November 4th, 2005, 10:37 AM
OK that's the last time I attempt a creative title, it just ended up being confusing :cool:

cpietra16
November 4th, 2005, 10:39 AM
GOT IT :thumbs up . Now that I am with it...I think your creative title was great....

LM1313
November 4th, 2005, 12:28 PM
LOL Shannon, I thought she was fostering a real rooster too!

Thank God I'm not the only one! I was thinking, "Hmm, I don't think you can stop a rooster from crowing . . ."

~LM~

badger
November 4th, 2005, 02:25 PM
I was in AWE - this person is fostering fowl, unbelievable (and a bit messy) - then I was reminded of the woman who runs (used to run?) PETA, Ingrid something, who takes sick chickens to bed with her to maintain their body temperature. Fair enough, although I don't think I could stand the smell...

CyberKitten
November 4th, 2005, 02:40 PM
I read this as a rooster to, lol I thought it was kinda cute and it occured to me "and they called me exotic for having a rabbit, lol. Plus, my grandmother used to have chickens and they each had names so it was not inconcevable for someone to have a rooster as a pet. But I could not understand how all the dog terminology related to the rooster so it made no sense.

So I have to ask, What do you mean by a rooster? :)

Ahh, never mind - I just realized rooster is an adjective, not a noun,sighh!! oohk

LM1313
November 4th, 2005, 02:48 PM
My grandma actually did have pet chickens and a rooster when my mom was a little girl (even though they lived in a big city, LOL.) They had been "Easter chicks" and then they got "uncute", so they were given to my grandparents. The chickens were great because they gave fresh eggs, but the rooster kept crowing at dawn and the neighbors complained. So the poor rooster ended up as dinner. :( (The kids were not informed of this.)

What really ticks me off is that a few weeks later the neighbor complained about the rooster crowing AGAIN . . . the poor dead rooster! :mad: So I think they were lying about being able to hear it anyway. Either that or it was haunting them . . . I certainly hope so.

~LM~

kayla
November 4th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Haha, I just reread my initial post and realized how funny it must have read to someone who thought I was being literal about fostering a rooster (my rooster won't stop barking!) lol :D . I never actually even mentioned it was a dog, guess I can be kinda ambiguous sometimes :p . Oh I don't think my neighbors would be too happy with a real rooster, and I'm not too sure how a citronella collar would work on them (although it would be an funny experiment, if not a little inhuman). I would like to have chickens and roosters sometime in the future though, so maybe I will actually have to start a thread about real roosters one day! :D

Dog Dancer
November 4th, 2005, 05:45 PM
I had two pet chickens when I was a kid in Montreal. My brother called them Shake and Bake :eek: I used to tie a little string on their legs and take them out for walks... :p

jesse's mommy
November 4th, 2005, 05:48 PM
I had two pet chickens when I was a kid in Montreal. My brother called them Shake and Bake :eek: I used to tie a little string on their legs and take them out for walks... :p

I hope you didn't...

Prin
November 4th, 2005, 06:02 PM
I hope you didn't...
Didn't what? Shake and bake? :evil:

jesse's mommy
November 4th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Yes, I hope shake and bake wasn't the end.. :D

SarahLynn123
November 4th, 2005, 06:11 PM
In my house we have 3 dogs and a cat. Insead of a doggy free upstairs for the cat, maybe a doggy free room? We have the computer room upstairs is blocked off with a babygate so the kitty can go in there if he needs a break and the dogs are not allowed. At night we have another babygate and we have all the dogs in our room and the cat can come and go as he pleases. One of our dogs (WOlf) chases the poor cat so he is in a crate at night by the bed and in a blocked off other area during the day while we are at work.

This has worked wonderfully for us because the dogs all sleep with us so no whining and if they get into anything Ill bust them!

kayla
November 6th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Just a little update. I brought Puppy to sleep with me for two nights. The first night he whined a little throughout the morning, the second no whining.

I picked up the cit. collar from the rescuer's yesterday because I had to go grab a sweater for him anyways. He got sprayed twice with it on, and that's all it took to learn! Now if he won't stop barking, I just have to put on the collar and he stops! It's quite wonderful really. He actually seems to be less yappy in general even without it.

Anyways so last night I left him to sleep downstairs but left the collar on him, but not turned on (so it wouldn't accidentally spray him while he slept). He didn't bark once this morning! :) Tonight I might try without the collar and see how it goes.

Puppyluv
November 6th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Kayla That's great news! So glad it worked! :thumbs up

Byrd
November 6th, 2005, 12:55 PM
When I read the first part of your post, I thought "Wow, now she's fostering poultry? You can't expect a rooster to not act like a rooster!" LOL, sometimes I can be so literal.

LOL me too!

I have a citronella collar for my dog. She barks when she is outside. But, I really don't think it works, either it is not sensitive enough, or her bark is not powerful enough (but, she does have a big bark), so, I will give it a couple more days, and then return it if it fails to spray.

kayla
November 6th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Have you tried blowing into it to see if it sprays? Maybe the battery is dead.

PetFriendly
November 6th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Charley wakes up between 5 and 6 am every single day... On the week-end I take him out, give the business command, then bring him back in and he'll sleep for another few hours.

Charley also only barks outside at people walking their dogs by the house or when we're at my parent's house and someone comes into their yard. I've been thinking about trying one of these collars, to try to prevent his warning barking from becoming problem barking. He'd only wear it when I'd be around... You think it would work?

kayla
November 6th, 2005, 04:29 PM
You could give it a try, works for me. But if you will only use it when you are around why don't you just use a spray bottle? It will save you $50! (I was lucky and the rescue lady lent me hers)

Puppyluv
November 6th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Have you tried blowing into it to see if it sprays? Maybe the battery is dead.
LOL I did that once.. got sprayed in my face:eek:
I thought I had aimed it away from me, but apparantly I was wrong.

PetFriendly
November 6th, 2005, 05:06 PM
But if you will only use it when you are around why don't you just use a spray bottle? It will save you $50! (I was lucky and the rescue lady lent me hers)

I can't use water because up until recently he was very afraid of water. I've gotten him to the point where he doesn't panic when I put him in the tub and will actually stand still (not try to climb out) if I let go of him to wash him.

The reason I'd only use it when I'm around is that he doesn't really make much noise if I'm not here (according to the neighbours anyway). Its only out in the yard that he barks, ifhe recongizes what he's barking at he'll stop after 4 or 5 barks and come back to me. But if its something he's not sure about, he doesn't stop until it goes away which is a real pain when its dark out and what he's barking at is a plastic bag stuck in the bushes. :(

cpietra16
November 6th, 2005, 05:19 PM
This may not work, but it worked for our Sable, a collie who past away 6 years ago. He barked at anything that moved...Anyway We put a spray collar on him but realized rather quickly that Collies like to talk, so each time he wanted to talk it sprayed him...we did not want him to stop talking...we loved to get his opinion...so we went to plan B. We put some rocks in a can and each time he barked, unprovoked, we shook the can. It took us a few months but I think we cut his barking by 1/2. We never had to shake the can after that all he had to do is see it and he stopped.

Byrd
November 6th, 2005, 06:37 PM
I tried rubbing the sensor on a rough surface and it worked.

I can't use a spray bottle because I'm not there when she is outside. I like to put her out while I'm in the kitchen, that is when she barks, so I have to go running to spray her.... it's a pain in the but. And, with the new apartment, there is a difference in the layout, so by the time I got to her she would have my landlord awake and I would be in trouble.

melanie
November 7th, 2005, 03:50 PM
im sorry but are you talking about a dog or a rooster?? i see you mention barking but then you speak of being up before dawn which is what roosters do anyway?? that is one very confusing title to a thread for sure.

if its a dog try the above mentioned training methods, and if you go the collar try it on yourself first before the dog so you know what he will be suffering.

if its a rooster just cover it with a dark blanket until you want him to wake up, or chop his head off and eat him, that will shut him up...:D

kayla
November 7th, 2005, 06:24 PM
I'm talking about a dog Melanie. Looks like I confused quite a few people--and I thought I was being so clever!:o

pags
November 7th, 2005, 06:31 PM
ROFL I'm laughing so hard over here at mel's 'or chop his head off and eat him' comment.... That's gotta be the best 'how to shut up a rooster' advice I have ever heard.

Our dog, Judge, is also a bit of a rooster. He doesn't like it when we try to sleep late apparently. For a while we considered finding ways to make him cut it out... and then one morning he managed to wake us all up on time when we had forgotten to set our alarm clock for a TON of important appointments that morning... So we decided maybe it's not such a bad thing. Besides - I get to catch a lot of sunrises I used to miss.

jesse's mommy
November 7th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Mel you are so funny...

PetFriendly
November 7th, 2005, 07:16 PM
im sorry but are you talking about a dog or a rooster??

if its a rooster just cover it with a dark blanket until you want him to wake up, or chop his head off and eat him, that will shut him up...:D

At first I thought the same... What kind of idiot gets themselves a rooster expecting it not to 'sing' in the morning... I just had to look... From reading the post, I figured it was a dog, not a bird.

But I'm a farmer's daughter and my reaction to the rooster was the same... You can't stop it so you might as well have a nice Sunday dinner... :D

No offence to those of you with pet chickens/roosters.

melanie
November 8th, 2005, 01:41 AM
oh dont worry, i thought you were very clever, good title, maybe im just a little slow, hey its really hot down here, cookin my brain you know.

um i love chickens, they make the best pets, but i have had my share of roosters that just caused trouble ( i swear they can get really personal about it, its like their vengful roosters), if i wernt a vegetarian i would have eaten the noisy buggers myself....:D

maybe rent the dog out for an alarm? surely there is a use for this behaviour:angel:

kayla
November 8th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Renting him out, that's a great idea! I don't think having this "rooster" for dinner would go well with the rescue lady :rolleyes: Besides he's a little skinny.

Actually I stopped his rooster aspirations by bringing him upstairs to sleep with me for a couple nights. BUT now he has learned that he really likes upstairs because hey, a cat lives up there and they are soooo fun to chase! He has learned to jump the baby gate and I now have to have him tied to a long leash downstairs so he doesn't chase the poor cat. Funny how one problem just leads to another:cool: