Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Swelling around eyes and mouth

IPanic2
November 2nd, 2005, 01:53 PM
Hey now,
New to this forum, thanks in advance. My 5 yr old male mix breed Leo yesterday developed swelling around his eyes and mouth yesterday. I'm wondering if he got bit by something or possibly developing some virus? He has never exhibited symptoms like this. Can attach a picture if needed. I'm suprised as it has turned much colder here in Illinois so bugs and the such are on their way out. He did nothing abnormal yesterday so I'm at a loss as to what this could be. Any help here would be fantastic,
peace
Mark Misemer
Peoria, IL

Roxy's_MA
November 2nd, 2005, 01:58 PM
He needs to see a vet right away. Swelling is usually a symptom of an allergic reaction.

IPanic2
November 2nd, 2005, 02:09 PM
Thank you, I do have a vet visit scheduled for tomorrow when I have a car. Was kinda wondering if there was anything I can do for the time being? Cortizone or aloe possibly?

Roxy's_MA
November 2nd, 2005, 02:12 PM
I have heard Benadryl, but I would phone and ask the vet about this before giving it to him. Do you have any idea about what may be causing the reaction. Did he eat anything differnt that you know of?

IPanic2
November 2nd, 2005, 02:22 PM
No, he hasn't eaten anything different unless he got into something outside. We have a fenced back yard which he was in yesterday for a few hours. Checked the yard for anything unusual and found nothing. A good sign he is eating/drinking right now as I type so appetite is good. He is very responsive (usual happy self) and seems quite normal other than the swelling. He is scratching at the affected ares. My other dog (7) goes to same yard and eats same food and has no symptoms. Damn i wish they could talk!

jjkomik
November 5th, 2005, 03:36 PM
My dog is having the same syomtoms, swelling all over the face after coming back from the backyard. I think she got stung by a bee or red ants, but dont know for sure. Did you take your dog to the vet and what did the vet say? Also, anything I can do in the mean time?

BMDLuver
November 5th, 2005, 04:22 PM
My dog is having the same syomtoms, swelling all over the face after coming back from the backyard. I think she got stung by a bee or red ants, but dont know for sure. Did you take your dog to the vet and what did the vet say? Also, anything I can do in the mean time?
There might not be a meantime, please take your dog to the vet.