Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ice melt salt for sidewalks

puppy4ever
November 2nd, 2005, 10:52 AM
Is this stuff okay to use around a puppy? I'm guessing he will try to lick it knowing him and might end up ingesting some. Also is it bad for his paws?

If the commercial stuff isn't good is there an alternative? How about regular table salt?

Thanks!

mastifflover
November 2nd, 2005, 11:26 AM
I know it is messy but I perfer sand to salt no bad effect on the dogs. But there is one ice melter that is safe for dogs it is little pellets or balls. You can get it at Crappy Tire or Home Depot

Lissa
November 2nd, 2005, 11:48 AM
We generally use sand as well - although for the really tough spots we do put down ice melter crystals...in the winter time, not only does Dodger get his paw wiped, I also soak them in water first (from the salt on the sidewalks).

The salt can be very tough on the paws - you can buy some paw protector stuff at the pet store and/or soak them in water as soon as you get back from your walk!

mastifflover
November 2nd, 2005, 12:32 PM
Forgot about there feet I use KY Jelly (forget the jokes people) but it works well and it is water soluble so you just wipe there paws when you get home and probably half the price of the stuff at the pet store.

Schwinn
November 2nd, 2005, 01:10 PM
Forgot about there feet I use KY Jelly (forget the jokes people)

You know this will make me explode, right?

Daisy tends to chase after the snow and attack it when I shovel, and sometimes gets a few mouthfuls of the road salt. She'll tend to yack it up if she eats too much snow, but generally she hasn't been none the worse for wear.

mastifflover
November 2nd, 2005, 01:14 PM
You Schwinn are exactly the one I knew would have your sick mind working overtime. It should have read I use KY for Buds feet. How is daddyhood going?

Prin
November 2nd, 2005, 11:11 PM
Or you can buy "bag balm" for the feets too. There's also a wax you can put on to protect the feet. Oh and booties too. That's what my doggies had to have last year...

IMO, NO salt. Our sidewalks were over-salted at our old apartment and Jemma's feet killed. Boo actually collapsed in the snow once because it hurt his feet so much. NO salt. And if you do walk through salt on walks, fill the tub with about an inch or two of warm water and swish the doggies feet around in it for a couple of minutes. The feeties do get raw after a few walks on salty roads... :(