Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Another question: about teaching puppies to jump.

Giselle
November 2nd, 2005, 12:44 AM
Alright today my beagle puppy fell in the jacuzzi. :( He just walked right into it as if he thought there was still floor to walk on there. He swam well and I showed him where the step was. So he swam to the step and jumped up to the edge trying to get out and he was crying and stuff, but couldn't get out. He just clawed at the floor over the edge trying to get out but didn't know how to jump out or climb out. He can jump up but his legs dont leave the ground. Is there anyway to teach him how to get out of the jacuzzi? Is there anyway to teach him how to jump off the ground? I'm worried he will freeze one day while I am at work if he falls in. I don't want him to get sick. :sick:

LM1313
November 2nd, 2005, 05:03 AM
I'd worry most about him tiring out and drowning. :( Does the jacuzzi have a cover or something? When I was in school the (adult) labrador of one of my friends drowned in their swimming pool . . . And that's a breed known for swimming.

~LM~

StaceyB
November 2nd, 2005, 07:33 AM
This dog should have absolutely have no access to the jacuzzi, especially when you are not home. Why in the world would you even take the chance that your dog may drown because you wouldn't do what was necessary to protect him. Cover the thing so he can't fall in. You can get solid covers for them.

Puppyluv
November 2nd, 2005, 09:00 AM
EEEK :eek: Forget teaching your dog to jump out of the jacuzzi, teach him not to go into it in the first place! (ie. keep it covered, and keep him away from it)

Beetlecat
November 2nd, 2005, 06:29 PM
My pup did not really jump until he was almost an adult. And jacuzzi steps would be doubly diffiuclt considering they're slippry wet and he's wet, so that even if he tried to jump, he ould still slip back in or hit himself against them.

The best advice I can give is to not give him unsupervised access to that area until he is older and a little more gainly and coordinated.

shannonRN
November 3rd, 2005, 01:16 PM
Yikes--ditto what everyone else said. No dogs near potential drowning hazards unsupervised.

There is always the possibility that the pup was quite scared by what happened and will steer clear of this happening again. At any rate, don't waste your time training him how to get out, train him not to get in in the first place. A hard cover would be a very good idea.