Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Halloweens over time to put the xmas lights up

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 1st, 2005, 08:51 PM
Two people on our block have their xmas lights up already. Is it too early. I actually put some on our trees in front of our house, we had white twinke lights in our pumpkins, instead of bringing them in I just started the decorating process a bit early they arent turned on yet though.

jesse's mommy
November 1st, 2005, 09:11 PM
We have our Christmas lights up, but that's because my ill-motivated Jim didn't take them down from last year...

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 1st, 2005, 10:21 PM
Thats okay as long as there not the icicle lights. :eek:

I want to get those new LED lights there supposed to use way less energy, most of my original lights seem to be near the end of their life I threw away about 3 whole strands last year.

jesse's mommy
November 1st, 2005, 10:26 PM
They aren't icicle lights. I don't really like them that much and they look like they are a lot of work and get tangled too easy. I don't have the patience to deal with that every year.

I've heard about them, but don't have any reason to buy them since I don't have to worry about untangling any this year.

You know what we bought after Christmas last year at 75% off? We don't buy real trees we've always had artificial trees, so we bought a pre-lit, big, fat artificial tree for this year. I'm so excited. I don't have to deal with lights at all this year and can focus on the fun stuff for Christmas!!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 1st, 2005, 10:41 PM
I got swag lights a few years ago, they never did get untangled no matter how much I tried to untwist them, they never looked like they did on the box. We've got icicles lights too but I think they look dated now. Most of them are burned out. This year I am going to use some of our orignal lights and also buy the LED lights I think I can hardly wait.

Prin
November 2nd, 2005, 12:54 AM
Never too early! I say do it. Just don't put out the lawn ornaments yet... :) I can't wait for Christmas... It's such a short holiday this year, so I have to get into the spirit earlier. :D

raingirl
November 2nd, 2005, 08:04 AM
We left our christmas lights up in our window from last year. Too much work to take down. I turned them on last night.

Last year we got LED lights at 90% off. But then we found out that real trees aren't allowed in our building, so we have no tree to put them on! We can't afford an artificial one right now either. Oh well...

maddoxies
November 2nd, 2005, 09:01 AM
At least Valentin won't be barking at the "bodies" and other Halloween decorations on our street. He certainly told that 6' pumpkin where to go last Sat. lol

Last Christmas I swear you could have read a newspaper in the middle of the road at 10 pm - just from the illumination of the Christmas lights.

Schwinn
November 2nd, 2005, 09:48 AM
I don't think Christmas lights should go on until December 1, but as for putting them up, I think that depends where you live. If you live where my parents live, near Windsor, then you can put them up at the end of November, and take them down shortly after the new year. Where we are, I personally don't feel like climbing snow banks, so I try to get them up once we get a snow fall or two (you know, the warning falls, that don't stick around?), and take them down in April, only because the snow is usually too deep for me to do it before that. (Which is funny, because usually my step-father has already been golfing far at least a month down at thier house).

I prefer the old style lights that are solid (no LEDs, not translucents). I'm cheap and try to save a penny when I can, but when it comes to Christmas, I'm a sucker for traditional, and the gaudier the better! I wanted to buy a new string of lights every year as a tradition, but I'm afriad of heights (which is why I never grew over 5'8"), and have run out of places to hang them! As for trees, we've always had a fake tree (my favourite was the one my grandparents had with the big tufts of fake snow!), but Cheryl always insists on a real tree. I think I'm going to start a tradition of taking Gracie to the tree farm and cutting down a tree. Also, I don't like co-ordinated ornaments. I need big, gaudy, and mis-matched! That's the way to do it! And the Christmas lights on the tree that look like big candies! Griswald Christmas, baby! The ONLY way to go!!

shannonRN
November 2nd, 2005, 11:14 AM
Well, some of you folks have pack rat husbands. I have Clark Griswold.

It has to be the biggest tree that will fit through the door and as many lights as our electrical circuits can support. Last year he actually contacted our energy supplier regarding having an additional electrical line run to our house, to support the Xmas lights. When he found out the actual cost of doing so, out where we live, he decided against this. Thank god.

Somehow, he still manages to do all this tastefully, IMO. We mostly stick to white lights--icicles are a must--with snowflakes and wreaths and candles in the windows. Last year he did buy a family of grapevine deer, which wouldn't have been my choice, but I guess they're okay.

I guess I should mention again here that we live IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE, and possibly 9 people in total will even see these lights ffrom the time they are put up to the time they are taken down.

We put ours up early, while the weather is still decent, but don't turn them on until the day after Thanksgiving, so this year, Nov 25. It's a pretty arbitrary designation, but we have a "one holiday at a time" rule.

Through December, we drive around and look at people's christmas deco several times, with a cup of hot coffee, listening to holiday music. I love doing this.

doggy lover
November 2nd, 2005, 04:58 PM
My daughter puts up all decorations on the same day as the Santa Clause Parade and heaven help if you don't she gets in a big sulk.

Prin
November 2nd, 2005, 09:55 PM
Well, some of you folks have pack rat husbands. I have Clark Griswold.

It has to be the biggest tree that will fit through the door and as many lights as our electrical circuits can support. Last year he actually contacted our energy supplier regarding having an additional electrical line run to our house, to support the Xmas lights. When he found out the actual cost of doing so, out where we live, he decided against this. Thank god.

Somehow, he still manages to do all this tastefully, IMO. We mostly stick to white lights--icicles are a must--with snowflakes and wreaths and candles in the windows. Last year he did buy a family of grapevine deer, which wouldn't have been my choice, but I guess they're okay.

I guess I should mention again here that we live IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE, and possibly 9 people in total will even see these lights ffrom the time they are put up to the time they are taken down.

We put ours up early, while the weather is still decent, but don't turn them on until the day after Thanksgiving, so this year, Nov 25. It's a pretty arbitrary designation, but we have a "one holiday at a time" rule.

Through December, we drive around and look at people's christmas deco several times, with a cup of hot coffee, listening to holiday music. I love doing this.
You just described my absolute dream Christmas. :o Can I borrow your hubby before Christmas? I've been debating whether or not to do a Griswold on my new little house... :queen:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 2nd, 2005, 10:19 PM
My neighbour is Clark Griswold. No matter what I do they always have to out do me. We,ve got a small maple tree in our front yard that I decided to put some lights on last year. Then he decided to decorate his basketball hoop in the driveway it wasnt just lights he had it perfectly wrapped in various complimentry strands, then he had going around the hoop part, and the net.
Seeing as I have already started I think I can out do them this year. Maybe I will post a picture of my house to see if anybody as any ideas.
Ours is the house with the little tree in front and the electical box, any ideas for the box. Mr Griswold lives to the left of us.

Prin
November 2nd, 2005, 10:24 PM
Oh definitely raindeer with mechanically moving heads on that little lower roof...

How the hey do you spell raindeer? I just blanked out.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 2nd, 2005, 10:25 PM
I believe its reindeer. :D

Prin
November 2nd, 2005, 10:29 PM
Reingirl, Raindeer, so many reigns to keep track of. ;)

shannonRN
November 3rd, 2005, 01:25 PM
Well Prin, I say go for it. It will probably take several holidays to accumulate enough crap to look truly tacky and griswold-ish, so chances are the first year you will still be relatively small-scale. But that doesn't mean it's not worth it if you like it. That is, if you don't live in a neighborhood where there are rules about that sort of thing.

I wish I had the digital camera last year so I could post a pic! We have a contest with these 'neighbors' of ours (they live several miles away) for who can do the best outdoor light display. We've won 3 yrs in a row now, but she tells me she has something pretty big cooked up for this year, so I guess we better start planning now how we will improve ours.

shannonRN
November 3rd, 2005, 01:29 PM
BTW--i like reigngirl :queen:

Maybe we can use this site for some decorating ideas, JECM http://www.uglychristmaslights.com/
http://pics.uglychristmaslights.com/2004/plenty.jpg

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 01:31 PM
I'm not so much for ornaments as for lights. That is what was classic about the Griswolds. It was just lights with one ornament of Santa and his reindeer. It was extreme, but I don't think it was tacky.. :o

doggy lover
November 3rd, 2005, 02:13 PM
Oh I love it, too bad I'm married to the Grinch. :D

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 02:18 PM
Oh, I could never marry a Grinch... If in a year his heart didn't swell up and break that measuring device, he'd be sooo gone... :D

Schwinn
November 3rd, 2005, 03:30 PM
Personally, the tackier the better! I want the neighbourhood to have a brownout when I plug in the lights! I want snow to melt when they come one!! I want jets aiming for my neighbourhood thinking they're going to Pearson Airport!!!

Sadly, Cheryl doesn't, so I have 3 strings. :o

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 04:10 PM
We should have a pets.ca "Hubby Swap" for Christmas...

doggy lover
November 3rd, 2005, 04:20 PM
OK Prin I'm in. Schwinn thats all I have too, one set of white lights and 2 iceicle lights, then I have a million on the tree in the house, only cause I put them on not him.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 3rd, 2005, 07:35 PM
Okay I think I can out do that picture and neighbours. I just might have to hit a few thousand garage sales before xmas to get all the lights. Also I think I may need and extra generator so the neighbourhood doesnt go out.
Actually I will need a ladder to, I usually stand on top of the Van and reach as high as I can so the top never gets done, and hubby is scared to go on the roof.

shannonRN
November 3rd, 2005, 11:04 PM
Generator :eek:
We have a smallish one for emergencies and--knock wood--we've never really needed to use it. And until now, it's never occurred to the man to use it for the outdoor light display either. Let's hope he doesn't come lurk around this page to see what I've been up to or you're in big trouble for mentioning it, JECM!

We only have a few outdoor outlets, and after he plugs 10 strands of lights in to each one, I get a little nervous he'll start a fire, so maybe using the generator would be a good thing. LOL. Just so wasteful in light of the energy crisis and the environment.

I don't know about this hubby swap thing though...sounds a little....uh, naughty.

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 11:20 PM
Hey, it's just for decorating. If you don't want Clark at your house, send him over to mine. :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 4th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Hey, it's just for decorating. If you don't want Clark at your house, send him over to mine.

mines not to good at the decorating, but hes good with kids, will walk the dog while you put up the lights and can mix a mean drink for after the decorating.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 4th, 2005, 08:34 PM
I am so excited Walmart and Canadian tire have the new LED lights. Walmarts are 12:87 for 50 outdoor lights but it looks like they are just blue. Canadian tire has some for 19.99 35 lights and they change colour gradually from red to blue or from green to red.
Maybe I can mix them together tastefully. I could maybe do the blue ones on the house and the ones that change color around the windows. There is also a 8foot inflatable snowman at Walmart that I could put on the electrical box.

Prin
November 4th, 2005, 10:04 PM
I don't think "Christmas lights" and "mix them together" can go in the same sentence with a tasteful outcome... :D

CyberKitten
November 4th, 2005, 10:06 PM
It's way too early to put up Christmas lights. That's just silly, not to mention the waste of electricity and energy. Of course one could have them up and not turn them on I suppose.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 4th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Oh but the LED lights use 80% less electricity. Two people on our block have them up already. :D

Prin
November 4th, 2005, 10:14 PM
It's way too early to put up Christmas lights. That's just silly, not to mention the waste of electricity and energy. Of course one could have them up and not turn them on I suppose.
Isn't that a little harsh?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 4th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Bah Humbug :evil:

:D Nothing will ruin my xmas spirit.

Prin
November 4th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Bah Humbug :evil:
Get off my lawn, ya filty carolers! **** waves broom ****

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 8th, 2005, 06:22 PM
I went to the Superstore today and got some LED lights and have started putting up the outdoor lights. I only need to spend about another 300 dollars on these LED lights to finish my whole house. I guess its good they last 100 years.

Question? Can I connect my traditional non LED lights with the LED lights or will I blowup down my house. Can I plug them into the same socket without shorting anything out.

Prin
November 8th, 2005, 06:26 PM
I would say no... I think they take different amounts of energy so I don't think it would be such a good idea... But I'm not any kind of whiz at electricity at all...

Hey, Bearsmom is a firefighter- she can tell you if you're being unsafe or not? Maybe?:)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 8th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Oh I hope she sees this thread. :) Youd think they would say something on the package but it doesnt. I am thinking it might be safe to plug both the LED and the traditional lights into one socket. As when you plug things into sockets normally they arent always of the same wattage.

Prin
November 8th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Probably, as long as it's not too many. But I wouldn't connect the strings together directly.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 8th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Okay I am now officially the first on our block to have xmas lights up. :D I've got the traditional lights plugged into the same socket as the LED lights so far all the lights are on.:eek:

shannonRN
November 9th, 2005, 02:02 AM
What the heck, that's what circuit breakers are for, right? :p

I suggested to the Mr. the other day that all the crap he plugs into 2 outlets in the garage at christmastime might not be safe. His response was, "Meh, it's just the garage. If it burns down, we'll put up a big shed and take a trip with the insurance money."

Prin
November 9th, 2005, 02:12 AM
I don't think you get a lot of insurance money if it burns because of your stupidity (or in this case "Griswoldementia":D ).

I thought I was the first on my street to put 'em up and then as soon as I finished, two houses lit up... Oh, well. Maybe next year. :evil:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 9th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Prin=
I don't think you get a lot of insurance money if it burns because of your stupidity (or in this case "Griswoldementia" ).

I thought I was the first on my street to put 'em up and then as soon as I finished, two houses lit up... Oh, well. Maybe next year.

I know what you mean last year. I was putting them out, the next day my neighbours were out, then the neighbours accross the street, down the block and everyone was all of a sudden putting up xmas lights.

I didnt have enough so I have to go buy more and borrow a ladder off my neighbour too.

I have got such a mish mash of lights now if I put them all up they would look like one of those houses on the ugly xmas lights website. Not sure whatever possessed me to buy red icicle lights :evil: they look horrible and don't go with anything.

Schwinn
November 9th, 2005, 10:17 AM
You can plug the lights into each other and you'll be fine. The amount of energy drawn by a set of lights is pretty minimal, so it would be an impressive set up that would cause any problems (someday, my children...someday). If you're really concerned, you can feel the cord, and if it is warm, then too much power is being drawn. However, if that is the case, then if everything is hunky dorey with your electrical, a fuse or breaker should go before this ever happened.

melanie
November 9th, 2005, 03:26 PM
joeyecockersmummy, you have agreat house, really i love your street, it is soooo TV. not being rude at all, but you know in canadian and american movies the houses are always so pretty and perfect, i always drool over those sorta houses, they are jsut oh soooooo TV i love it, your a lucky lady to live there for sure.

um we dont put anythign up till the 1st of december, its bad luck to do it before and everythign must be removed before the 1st of jan, as thats even worse bad luck, they say you drag the bad spirits of the year over, or drag over the old news so to speak. i loooovvvveeee the 1st of december, i go crazy if i can.

and this year i am buying a tree, not stealing one. see we have a family tradition of stealing our trees, always have, and in the aussie environment christmas trees are weeds so its no big deal, i spend the whole year stalking my tree, you find the perfect one and watch and wait, some ppl i know will prune them in the year, but thats asking for trouble someone else will steal it for sure.

but the number of ppl i am having this year, im going all out and actually buying a tree, now thats a huge deal, hubby thinks im mad buying one, when he can go and get one in the bush, he jsut does not get it at all:eek:

shannonRN
November 9th, 2005, 04:08 PM
You can plug the lights into each other and you'll be fine. The amount of energy drawn by a set of lights is pretty minimal, so it would be an impressive set up that would cause any problems (someday, my children...someday). If you're really concerned, you can feel the cord, and if it is warm, then too much power is being drawn. However, if that is the case, then if everything is hunky dorey with your electrical, a fuse or breaker should go before this ever happened.
I always assumed this true but was never sure. Now I feel better! Now, what would you call "an impressive set up that would cause problems" :p On the boxes of lights they always say not to plug more than "X" strands together--3 or 6 depending on the # of lights per strand. 3 for 100 light strands, 6 for 50/strand I think.

We don't buy our trees, we grow them on our own property. We don't prune them or anything (the deer take care of that for us :mad: ) but the fun is in the trudging around in knee-deep snow to pick just the right one, then drag it up the hill to the house. Mark always tries to take the ATV down and drag it back with that but I say no way--that's just not traditional christmas! But I like not paying an exorbitant amount for something I can get for free.

Shamrock
November 9th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Yay Joeycockersmommy!! Good stuff! :thumbs up
Very nice house you have,btw.

I've always wished for a "Clark" hubby, instead of the "Ebenezer" who resides here.
I'm lucky if I can get him to put the lights up before the twelve days of Christmas kicks in.:rolleyes:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 9th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Melanie=joeyecockersmummy, you have agreat house, really i love your street, it is soooo TV. not being rude at all, but you know in canadian and american movies the houses are always so pretty and perfect, i always drool over those sorta houses, they are jsut oh soooooo TV i love it, your a lucky lady to live there for sure.

Thankyou Melanie and Shamrock. I like our neighbourhood too. Its flat really close to the schools. If only I could afford a maid to pick up after my kids. LOL.

I just bought more lights and a ladder so will be putting up more lights now.
We still need too the top part. So I may try to bribe hubby to go up there. We are both scared of heights. But I will face my fear if I have too.

shannonRN
November 9th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Well that's worth it, isn't it, JECM? Ack, you couldn't pay me to get on the peak of the roof :eek:

pags
November 10th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Oh wow HOW did I miss this thread? I'm all excited now -- Joey's Mom has inspired me. :D My mother keeps saying in her best Ben Stein voice: "I guess there's no point in decorating for Christmas this year...." But I just say "Are you KIDDING me??" I'm slapping lights and moving reindeer all over the house, debris or no debris - thank you.

Okay - as for when to put up Christmas lights.. It's the tradition down here to start putting up the Christmas lights at least the week before Thanksgiving (which is the third week of November - which is awfully close come to think of it) so that your Thanksgiving dinner guests can be treated to a bit of a preview of what's to come for Christmas. Mind you, they shouldn't be FINISHED -- but you should have some lights up.. a wreath.. maybe decorate the mailbox..

Full out Christmas decorating begins the day after Thanksgiving which is also the day we traditionally put up the Christmas tree.

The fact is waiting til December 1st just would not give me enough time to get everything up. :eek:

Your house is lovely JEC -- please make sure you take some pictures of the finished product for us!! I can't wait to see what you've done.

My X-mas decorating style is to go natural.. Lots of white up high and along the tops of the shrubs to simulate snow (more on that in a minute...) -- green down low along the ground... Dots of red here and there for holly berries... or entire red strands to light up the azaleas at night... And many wild reindeer roaming throughout the yard. We used to use the icicle lights along our front porch but I decided they light up that area way too much and detract from the overall effect.. So now we use a spotlight to light up the wreath on the front door. Number one on my big Christmas "I WANT THAT" decorating list is this adorable inflatable giant snowglobe with snowmen in it and fake snow.... has anybody seen this? THEN I want one of those projectors that cast falling snowflakes on the house.. I want I want...

See what you've gone and started???

Oh I have a question from my northerly neighbors: What do you guys do about snow??? Cause you see.. last year I had the house all decked out as usual.. and it was great.. and then the big day came - Christmas Day! I turned the lights on and they were fantastic... And then it started to SNOW. (Yes.. Katrina isn't the first weird weather occurence we've had in the last 12 months...) Immediately the wet snow started blowing fuses on all my lights... :( So.. Just in case... Do you do anything in particular to shield them from this? New problem for me. LOL

Schwinn
November 10th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Now, what would you call "an impressive set up that would cause problems" :p

The kind where, when you turn them on, commercial airliners try to land on your lawn. That would be a good start.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 10th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Actually its freezing rain here now Yuck! But I put eletrical tapes around the connections to protect it. My hubbies idea as hes paronoid.

I have done the lights on the bottom level and around the garage. I used the new LED lights so far I have spend $200.00 on lights, but there supposed to have a life time guarantee and use 80% less energy and you can plug in way more strands. They will probably pay for themselves in 50 years when I am still using these LED lights.

I put the colored lights around the windows and the garage. and the white lights on the lower level. I then put white twinkle lights on our three cedars that are in the front. Although the seem to clash a bit with the LED lights so I may have to see if I have enough LED lights for the trees. I like white lights on trees and shrubbery I think its really pretty.
As soon as I have another day off and I can borrow an extension ladder I am going to go up to do the top. White LED lights on the roof and then the colored lights on the windows again. I usually put indoor lights up inside the windows as well , but we may wait until we get back from Mexico on Dec 4 to do that.

Pags after all you have been through you need to brighten up your house with some nice bright lights and xmas cheer. :D

Prin
November 10th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Number one on my big Christmas "I WANT THAT" decorating list is this adorable inflatable giant snowglobe with snowmen in it and fake snow.... has anybody seen this?Oh, if I had $150 to burn, I would sooo have that snowglobe. I love it. They had it at Costco for a bit... The coolest Christmas gadget ever.:) And when times are tough, that's when the Christmas spirit comes in handiest.

jesse's mommy
November 10th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Oh, if I had $150 to burn, I would sooo have that snowglobe. I love it. They had it at Costco for a bit... The coolest Christmas gadget ever.:) And when times are tough, that's when the Christmas spirit comes in handiest.

It's $125 at Walmart....

Prin
November 10th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Ya, but convert that to Canajun... :eek:

jesse's mommy
November 10th, 2005, 09:27 PM
There are ways...:evil:

Schwinn
November 11th, 2005, 11:17 AM
If my extension cord is lying on the ground, then I'll usually put a strip of electrical tape around the plug, just to be sure. Especially if you an EFI outlet on the circuit somewhere (those ones witht the "test" buttons), because moisture will pop those. We stalled from building my shed last week for over an hour tearing through the electrical box trying to figure out why the power went out on the outside circuit. Found an EFI outlet I didn't know about in the garage.

Oh, and I've been forbidden from putting up anything inflatable.

jesse's mommy
November 11th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Oh, and I've been forbidden from putting up anything inflatable.

Most women don't allow their husbands to have inflatables...:evil:

Schwinn
November 11th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Most women don't allow their husbands to have inflatables...:evil:

Not an issue, I have asthma.

Prin
November 11th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Tsk. Nice one.:clown:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 11th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Someone told me today. They used to sell the LED lights. That you can leave them on for 11 years straight without turning them off and they wont burn out. :eek:

Wont my neighbours love that..... :evil: :evil:

glasslass
November 11th, 2005, 11:46 PM
We've only been in our house a month. I'm dying to find out what our new neighborhood does in the way of lights!

Prin
November 12th, 2005, 12:53 AM
We've only been in our house a month. I'm dying to find out what our new neighborhood does in the way of lights!
LOL We walked out 2 Saturdays ago and found EVERYBODY on our street raking. We were the only ones who weren't. That to me was a sure sign not to bother what the others do- you can always just lead the way. Especially with Christmas ornamentation...:)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 12th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Prin= LOL We walked out 2 Saturdays ago and found EVERYBODY on our street raking. We were the only ones who weren't. That to me was a sure sign not to bother what the others do- you can always just lead the way. Especially with Christmas ornamentation...

Its funny how that happens in neighbourhoods. I know if our grass ever gets shorter than our neighbours. Which according to him just cannot happen. He is out there as soon as I am done to cut his grass.

shannonRN
November 12th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Inflatables are a no-go in my yard. Great for families with kids IMO, but not for us, that's for sure. Even I have to admit that the giant snow globe is impressive though. Wally also has an inflatable santa inside a giant chimney and the santa moves up and down.
Is anyone else anti-santa claus?

melanie
November 12th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Quote 'Not an issue, I have asthma' lol lol lol you ahve me in hysterics, your so funny.:D

pags snow:eek: , whooo there little lady, nah for us its the flies.:D

knee deep in flies on christmas day, but what is an aussie christmas without 35deg celcius (if your lucky) and lots of flies, a cranky cook in the kitchen sweating it out,, kids and dogs barkin, everyone near drunk on beer in the heat, mum givning everyone the grumps, STUPID STUPID cricket on tv, blahhhh...

and of course tis very aussie to have a hot lunch, pity the cook (me this year)....:D

for our christmas decorations this year, i have brought 2 new pedestal fans to go with the otehrs, its gunna be a hot one and fans are so essential for the cranky pregnant cook, see planning ahead.:D (fans not the cranky part)

oh got an early present, one of my oldest and dearest friends showed up, we have not seen each otehr in 3yrs, now thats the pressent i needed, im so hapyp now, dont care if i get oven mits for xmas, i got a goodone already.

i love christmas, i cant wait, and most of all christmas brings my sister and kids, now that is the best present a girl could ever want.:highfive: im so excited about this i count the days till my sister gets here:D

Prin
November 12th, 2005, 04:54 PM
I coun't imagine a 35 degree Christmas day...:(

pags
November 14th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the snow tips, all.. I'm breaking out the electrical tape this year. That's exactly it Schwinn - we have all our outside lights on GFCI outlets and they pop if you so much as spit at them. That's great for not burning the house down.. but it can be really irritating.

And as for that snowglobe. Sniff. I looked it up at wal-mart.com and it said supply was limited because the item had been discontinued!! Why, oh why?

LOL mel - you make Christmas sound so cozy!! Nothing like some flies to raise the holiday spirits! LOL I can tell you have a lot of fun though. :) Our Christmas snow was a huge thrill -- as you can see from our climate averages for the last 56 years... it's quite rare:

PASCAGOULA 3 NE, MISSISSIPPI (226718)
Period of Record Monthly Climate Summary
Period of Record : 1/ 1/1948 to 3/31/2004
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Annual
Average Max. Temperature (F) 60.5 63.5 69.1 76.3 83.0 88.2 90.1 90.0 87.0 79.6 70.2 63.4 76.7
Average Min. Temperature (F) 41.8 44.4 50.8 58.2 65.7 71.6 73.6 73.0 69.2 58.5 49.6 44.2 58.4
Average Total Precipitation (in.) 4.97 4.91 6.10 4.47 4.80 5.57 7.27 6.73 6.99 3.80 3.99 4.57 64.17
Average Total SnowFall (in.) 0.0 0.0 0.1 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.1
Average Snow Depth (in.) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Here's the only picture I managed to get to record the event. Giggle. Okay so there were no snow drifts or anything.. but HEY it was still exciting. :D

Prin
November 14th, 2005, 01:01 PM
I still find it funny when my aunt in Atlanta tells us about the kids tobogganing on the street when it snows a cm or two...

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 17th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Okay climbing up on that roof is scarier than I thought, and it doesnt help when you do it all backwards and when you go to plug it in you realise that youve got the wrong end. :eek:
I was too scared too go up again my neighbour accross the street is going to do it for me today.

Prin
November 17th, 2005, 01:04 PM
ooo a group effort? You have to post pics when you're done, Griz.:D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 17th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Is there anyway to train a small brown choclatey swirl dog to go up on my 20ft high roof and put up xmas lights.:D

Prin
November 17th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Can't ferrets be trained to do that? :D

pags
November 17th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Okay climbing up on that roof is scarier than I thought, and it doesnt help when you do it all backwards and when you go to plug it in you realise that youve got the wrong end. :eek:

ROFL JEC I can picture this!!!

Oh and Prin - I think you've been watching Beastmaster again!

Prin
November 18th, 2005, 12:13 AM
Again? I never watch that drivel... (I don't have enough of an imagination for sci-fiey stuff...) :o