Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Casey's sick -- vomitting, sore eyes

moontamara
November 1st, 2005, 05:23 PM
Hi all.... some of you probably remember me.... Sorry I haven't been a very active member for the last 8 or so months. Not for a lack of caring, but for a lack of time. I find this board to be the most time consuming thing for me on the internet, and have also found it to be difficult to use sparingly!

But here I am back when I need your help.... :o

For those who don't know, Casey is a year and a half, toy poodle, neutered male and fully immunized.

Casey had a serious body infestation of mites about a month ago, and after three visits to the vet (and treatement three times with Frontline), he was declared officially bug free. That was a week ago. On the same day that I took him to the vet most recently, he had a strange sneezing fit earlier in the day while we were on a walk. It was frightening, but there was nothing I could do at the time (we were in a large park) but wait it out. The most disturbing part was that he was foaming from the mouth a little. I already had an appointment to see the vet, but I rushed him in early. By the time we got there all signs of his fit were over, and the vet didn't seem to think my story was all that frightening. He treated him with Frontline and sent us home.

Meanwhile, I changed his food to something that has always worked in the past (ANF Holistic) but had taken a break from for awhile because he was tired of it. He stopped eating eagerly, and has been down to eating once a day -- normally it has been twice. I haven't been concerned about this because he has gone through periods like this before, and now that we have our heat turned on, I don't think he uses up as much energy.

Speaking of energy, until this morning, his energy level has been totally normal. He's happy to see us, happy to go for a walk, happy to sit on my lap while I work on writing -- just a regular happy dog. However, sometimes in the morning, he's been throwing up a small amount of liquid. I've been keeping my eye on this, but felt it was just from an empty stomach so I haven't worried.

Today is the first day that I am truly worried about Casey. He seemed normal at first (he's always sleepy when I first get up because I get up at 5:30). Like usual, he spent some time on my lap while I worked on the computer, and then went back to his own bed after awhile. He came back again for awhile, and then jumped down to the floor and vomitted yellow liquid. I offered him some food, and changed his water, but he wasn't interested. He wagged his tail politely and went back to bed. Something didn't seem quite right so I got down on the floor and held his head in my hand and took a good look at him. His eyes look puffy and there is a tiny bit of gunk in the corner of one.

Of course I'm taking him to the vet this morning. (morning here in Korea) but it won't open for another hour and a half, and I don't trust the vets here 100%. I've often found that the info I've gotten here has been helpful to communicate with the vet as well.

If anyone has any idea what this might be, please let me know!!! I'm very scared that it could be something serious.

Prin
November 1st, 2005, 05:32 PM
Yellow liquid is usually bile and can be because of an empty stomach. He doesn't have any other symptoms right now other than the same old lack of appetite? Do they have canned food over there? Maybe mix in the canned version of the food you are giving? Just a little bit, maybe one heaping teaspoon to add flavor.

moontamara
November 1st, 2005, 05:36 PM
Yellow liquid is usually bile and can be because of an empty stomach. He doesn't have any other symptoms right now other than the same old lack of appetite? Do they have canned food over there? Maybe mix in the canned version of the food you are giving? Just a little bit, maybe one heaping teaspoon to add flavor.

Yeah, I wasn't worried about that too much -- but his eyes are now swollen. That's why we're going to see the vet today. Sorry for the longwinded OP!

Prin
November 1st, 2005, 05:41 PM
Swollen in what way? The lids?

moontamara
November 1st, 2005, 05:47 PM
Swollen in what way? The lids?

They are glassy now too, and they don't open fully. They are starting to look infected. Before he looked kind of like a person who has slept too late, or has been crying for a long time. Now he looks like he's got an eye infection. It's getting worse... :sick: :confused: :sad: . I'm worried.... The vet will open in about an hour.

Prin
November 1st, 2005, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I'd head on over. Good luck. :fingerscr :grouphug:

moontamara
November 1st, 2005, 05:58 PM
Thanks Prin, you're a sweetheart. It's just nice to be able to talk about with people who care..... :grouphug:

Prin
November 1st, 2005, 06:00 PM
Come back for an update- I've never had doggies with eye issues and now I'm curious to know what happens. :)

moontamara
November 2nd, 2005, 05:22 AM
The vet said it's caused by food allergies, probably to some garbage that he got into yesterday morning -- may be a mould allergy. :o . He looked initially much much better after the eye drops, but now he looks kind of swollen up again. I have oral meds for him, but I wonder if a saline solution might help his eyes feel more comfortable. Any thoughts? If a saline solution seems like a good idea, I'll need to know how to make it (the proper ratios and such), since it isn't easy to find that sort of thing here.

Thanks again!

Prin
November 2nd, 2005, 09:17 PM
I have no idea what the proportions are for saline for a doggy... The vet doesn't have anything? I hope the drops help and the doggy gets better...

glasslass
November 3rd, 2005, 07:52 PM
How is Casey? Could this be an allergic reaction to Frontline??

moontamara
November 4th, 2005, 11:57 PM
He's okay now glasslass, thank you for asking! I wondered about Frontline too, but the vet was sure that it was from something he ate. If the same thing happens next time, I'll know that Frontline is the culprit! Hope all is well with you and your loved ones (furry and otherwise ;) )

Prin
November 6th, 2005, 12:07 AM
I'm glad he's better. :highfive:

Happy birthday too, eh? :)