Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What is happening in Toronto, 45 shootings already this year

StaceyB
November 1st, 2005, 06:12 PM
I don't live in Toronto so I don't know if there is something going on like gangs or something like that but that # seems to be very high.

Prin
November 1st, 2005, 06:20 PM
I know- it's all over the news all the time... :(

twodogsandacat
November 1st, 2005, 06:44 PM
There is a war going on and it is related to the drug trade. So far there hasn’t been much leadership from the provincial and federal governments who both have tried to blame America for the guns on our streets. Of course those guns come across our borders and are paid for with the profit of Canadian crimes so it is our problem not theirs. The promised 1000 police officers promised by the province in the last election have not materialized and the situation is terrible. Compounding the problem is the lack of cooperation with police.

Many community groups and the police are working hard but struggling to stop this violence, which also often has found innocent civilians not associated with the criminals becoming targets or caught in crossfire.

Both our provincial and federal government need to make carrying a gun a serious crime with serious penalties that can’t be plea bargained away and judges need to hand out those harsh penalties. Some of the recent shooters were out on bail...that's nuts.

As the song says “rather be caught with it than caught without one”. We need to make getting caught with one a very serious crime.

Mrs Bungle
November 1st, 2005, 10:35 PM
I lived in two of the "ghetto's" in toronto (jamestown- my parents still live here, thats on finch and martingrove & willowridge which is eglinton and martingrove)..some of you may or may not be familiar with these areas.. but its really messed up.. I cant beleive that this stuff is going on...

BUTTTTTTTTT, if its of any consolation to anyone who lives in toronto, MOST of these shootings are directly relating to gangs.. meaning, if your not involved in this kind of stuff, your not likely to be caught in the crossfire so to speak... my parents neighbourhood sucks, but im honestly not afraid to visit or be there at night.. a big part is yoru assosiation to these groups..

anyway. my two cents...

mona_b
November 1st, 2005, 11:39 PM
if your not involved in this kind of stuff, your not likely to be caught in the crossfire so to speak..

Oh really?..Funny how a few of them that have been buried where caught in the crossfire.And the 5 year old that was shot while he was sleeping in his own bed.There have been many innocent lives taken away because of this.

Mrs Bungle
November 1st, 2005, 11:48 PM
I said, your NOT LIKELY.. i didnt say your IMMUNE.. i lived in the area where many of those shootings have occured for many years, and it is RARE..

im not defending anyone, but i also think that things can be blown out of proportion...

mona_b
November 1st, 2005, 11:57 PM
It's not that rare anymore.

And just so you know,I was born and raised in T.O..... :D ...I only moved to Hamilton 2 years ago.

And I'll be honest and say I am glad I got out of Metro(force) when I did.I just couldn't take what was going on there anymore.

And trust me,the cops there have had enough.They are just as frustrated as everyone else.

It's also happening outside of clubs....And a few of the shoorings have nothing to do with gangs.

Mrs Bungle
November 2nd, 2005, 12:04 AM
Listen, i was also born and raised in toronto, i dont know why you are trying to "compete" as to who knows more about TO than who, but I am saying what i know, and what ive experienced.. everyone is entitled to an opinion.. yours is different than mine.. I dont have any kind of sympathy for anyone who shoots up anyone else but regardless some people have to live in those areas, and as i said before, nothing ever happened to me, or the people i grew up with or anyone i even knew... which leads me to my opinions...

Mrs Bungle
November 2nd, 2005, 12:11 AM
and btw, if i sound rude im sorry... been at work for 16 hours and counting

Prin
November 2nd, 2005, 02:26 AM
Mona, should I tell her too? Will I have to buy you yet another donut?
http://bestsmileys.com/poking/2.gif
(there's no donut smilie...)

mona_b
November 2nd, 2005, 07:02 AM
i dont know why you are trying to "compete" as to who knows more about TO than who,

Sorry,but didn't think this was a competition..... :D

Mona, should I tell her too? Will I have to buy you yet another donut?

I give you permission..... ;)

As for another donut,nah,I'll give this one to you...... :p

raingirl
November 2nd, 2005, 09:01 AM
It's all just sensationalized in the media like the pitbull ban. Statistically, the number of shootings/killings is no greater than the average over the last 20 years, based on population and such. The number is bigger because Toronto was only incorporated as the megacity a few years ago (what...8 now?). If you take the stats from the other cities before amalgamation, and look at the population increase, the number of shootings remains constant (my friend is a statistician for statistics Canada and explained it to me).

The media is just reporting it because other media outlets are. It's the news. If there was other news, it would be reported. If you were watching a news channel and they never showed the news on the shootings, would you continue to watch? It's all about rating and crap like that.

I hate the media.

Schwinn
November 2nd, 2005, 11:35 AM
It's definitely not more dangerous. Mr Bryant has protected and saved us all by banning pit bulls. I know, because Mayor Miller told me so! (/sarcasm metre asplode)

I think the biggest thing is that the people doing the shooting are caring less and less about "collateral damage". Whether the rate of shootings vs population is a valid arguement, I think that the number of shootings in crowded areas and without regard for innocent victims is definitely going up. Honestly, gang shootings never bothered me a great deal. I know a few cops who would say, "Hey, let them kill each other and get rid of them". What is disturbing is that more and more often, we're seeing innocent people being hit because these morons are taking pot shots at each other in crowded areas, just pumping out as many bullets as they can and hoping one of them hits thier target. Personally, I say give them all shooting lessons so they can hurry up and eliminate themselves.

Mrs Bungle
November 2nd, 2005, 11:47 AM
I think also that, people who arent a part of gangs, are now starting to get the idea that its okay to carry guns and so forth... people are getting the idea that "nobody will mess with me, ill just shoot em up!!" .. thats the most dangerous thing.. mind you, i dont know where they got those ideas from or why thats becoming more and more the case...

Mrs Bungle
November 2nd, 2005, 11:49 AM
maybe its just that being a "bad ass" is becoming more cool or some crap....

or guns are more readily available then they used to be...

have any of you heard of the documentary that this guy made recently (it was on the news, parts anyawys) called "the real toronto"??? gave a sort of indepth look into gangs and whatnot in the troubled areas..

mastifflover
November 2nd, 2005, 12:00 PM
Thanks Michael Bryant for making Toronto a safer place (Ha ha ha). My thoughts on part of the solution is for a real attorney general takes action first by totally bringing the young offenders act into reality by making them soley responsible for there crimes serious and violent crimes should be tried as adults and real young offenders must have real time and punishment for their crimes not a slap on the wrist. Then he or she needs to get very real about gun control and stopping the guns coming across the boarder because a lot do come from the U.S but we are just as responsible for this. The lying liberals need to put those police they have promised in place and stop backing down on there promises we need those cops on the street. Our police have been doing a great job and the government needs to keep up there end of the bargain. Can you blame them for being pissed off they are overworked and under paid. Maybe if the village idiot had not wasted so much of our money on his silly ban just for his ego maybe they would have the money to pay the cops they promised. Come on we have to start holding these lying politians responsible and make the do what they say they are going to do. Well that is my little rant.

Prin
November 2nd, 2005, 11:18 PM
I give you permission..... ;)

As for another donut,nah,I'll give this one to you...... :p
I have a 700gram Toblerone here that I can share... :D The moment has kind of passed.. But Mrs. Bungle, when Mona wrote: "I am glad I got out of Metro(force)", she was referring to... uhh.. ahh, the moment's gone. Nevermind.:o :)

Gotta go, there's a cop at my door who wants Toblerone. ;)

mona_b
November 2nd, 2005, 11:22 PM
"the real toronto"???

Oh trust me,these eyes have seen the real Toronto.How do you think we feel when we have to go to the door of a parent who's innocent child(adult,and even only child) was just murdered?To hear them scream,cry and breakdown.That lives inside of us.

Can you believe that only 60 were hired in Sept?Yup,that's it.

What really pissed us off is when they brought the Young Offenders Act in. :evil: :mad:

All I can say is these shootings are happening all over now.Even here in Hamilton.And once again,they are not all gang related.It's gotten to the point where you just look the wrong way at someone and you get shot.

Prin
November 2nd, 2005, 11:26 PM
Young offender's act, eh? The three punks from my old neighborhood who killed the reverend and his wife with bats and beer bottles got 3 years in juvey and then moved to Toronto... Nobody knows they are the reverend killers over there... Ahh, young offenders' act. Lucky for us Kreepy Karla wasn't under-age- we wouldn't know who either of them were.

mona_b
November 2nd, 2005, 11:26 PM
I have a 700gram Toblerone here that I can share... :D The moment has kind of passed.. But Mrs. Bungle, when Mona wrote: "I am glad I got out of Metro(force)", she was referring to... uhh.. ahh, the moment's gone. Nevermind.:o :)

LMFAO,woman you crack me up....... :p

Gotta go, there's a cop at my door who wants Toblerone. ;)

LOL..That Toblerone better be White Chocolate....... :p

Prin
November 2nd, 2005, 11:27 PM
Aww, no, regular. Sorry.

mona_b
November 2nd, 2005, 11:31 PM
Nobody knows they are the reverend killers over there...

One slip of the tongue and many will know.If they don't already... ;)

Prin
November 2nd, 2005, 11:32 PM
I hope they do.

mona_b
November 2nd, 2005, 11:32 PM
Aww, no, regular. Sorry.

Grrrrrrrrr.Then I suggest you run to the store and get the White one....... :D :p

Prin
November 2nd, 2005, 11:40 PM
What am I gonna do with the rest of the 700gram one?

mona_b
November 2nd, 2005, 11:43 PM
OK OK,I'll take my Tylonal 3 a half hour before I get there.This way I can have some and not get my Mirgrain.

Sheesh,the things I will do for you........ :D :p

Prin
November 2nd, 2005, 11:45 PM
LOL LOL migraines eh? Hmm... You can hug Boo while I eat the Toblerone.. I can settle for that.

mona_b
November 2nd, 2005, 11:48 PM
. You can hug Boo while I eat the Toblerone.. I can settle for that.

Ummmmm,can I hug Frank?????? ;)

KIDDING

I'll hug Boo........ :D

Prin
November 2nd, 2005, 11:53 PM
I would have offered him up, but he ain't here right now, so you get Boo. :D Boo gives good hugs too. He's quite the human doggy. And you, being used to GSDs, might like a hug from a real dog for a change. :D :evil:

Mrs Bungle
November 3rd, 2005, 11:02 AM
Hey prin,

I realize she is/was a cop for the metro toronto police.. thanks for that, you didnt have to tell me.

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 02:38 PM
Oh.... ok. Then do you want to come in for some Toblerone too, or just a Boo hug? :)

Mrs Bungle
November 3rd, 2005, 02:47 PM
does he/she like opinionated girls from rexdale???????? :angel:

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 02:58 PM
All girls. :D Especially the ones who can make their voice go a bit higher. :)

Mrs Bungle
November 3rd, 2005, 02:59 PM
higher??? whys that? *lol*

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 03:00 PM
You know, the baby talk? I can't do it, so every girl he sees who brings their voice a little higher he asks to go home with. :rolleyes:

Roxy's_MA
November 3rd, 2005, 03:04 PM
You know, the baby talk? I can't do it, so every girl he sees who brings their voice a little higher he asks to go home with. :rolleyes:
Boo sounds like a real player! :cool: You better watch out, he may try to go home with another girl with a higher voice than you. :D

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 03:08 PM
If I ever meet a couple with a woman with a high voice and a man between 18 and 27, I will lose both of my doggies. :)

Mrs Bungle
November 3rd, 2005, 03:25 PM
what kinda pooch is he???

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 03:36 PM
I think he's a newf/pointer/betrayer mix... :D

SarahLynn123
November 3rd, 2005, 04:35 PM
And you, being used to GSDs, might like a hug from a real dog for a change. :D :evil:

ooohhhhh Prin! Those are fighting words!!!!!! :evil:

doggy lover
November 3rd, 2005, 04:40 PM
Alot of gang turf wars, the rest is little a--h----'s, who have guns. I say the government should quit the BS of making you regester guns and spend the billions they have wasted on finding out how and stopping the ilegal impotation of guns into Canada. They need to make these laws more stricter too, throw the little f--kers in jail and leave them there, make them work too, why are these kids walking around with guns for what? They aren't tough they are stupid or dead.

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 05:02 PM
ooohhhhh Prin! Those are fighting words!!!!!! :evil:
LOL I know... :D :evil: I'm waiting for a response but I think she's too steamed to reply... Or she just knows it's true and doesn't want to fess up.. :evil:

Mrs Bungle
November 3rd, 2005, 05:29 PM
Awwww, prin, hes cute *lol* he looks so intense though haahhaah

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 05:33 PM
No, he's never intense. He's so chilled out that he's boring sometimes... :D

Mrs Bungle
November 3rd, 2005, 05:37 PM
haha,

thats okay, the other way around isnt always that fun either *LOL*

mona_b
November 3rd, 2005, 09:50 PM
And you, being used to GSDs, might like a hug from a real dog for a change. :D :evil:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

How dare you imply Tron is not a real dog...... :sad:

I "DARE" you to say that to his face................ :D :p

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 09:51 PM
Aww, you weren't sad about it, were you? :o

mona_b
November 3rd, 2005, 10:01 PM
Oops,it should have been the :mad: not the :sad:

Can you tell I'm tired...LOL

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 10:03 PM
Oh, ok. I can have people mad at me, but I can't make people sad...

mona_b
November 3rd, 2005, 10:05 PM
Well you haven't made me :sad: YET.........LOL

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 10:19 PM
Phew!!!! ;)

mona_b
November 3rd, 2005, 10:24 PM
Now that we have that straightened out,LOL,I'm off to bed.

And as I have Tron laying next to me in bed,I will tell him what you said.... :D :p