Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog sometimes throws up his food

Candy Strand
September 10th, 2003, 12:55 PM
I can't seem to figure out what sets him off. He throws up his food right after he eats it, so it's phlem and undigested kibble. This happens a few times a week. It's not just in the morning when his tummy is empty. It's not just when he's excited. I've been feeding him smaller portions 4 times a day. Any help out there?

Lucky Rescue
September 10th, 2003, 04:01 PM
How old is your dog? What breed? Is this something new, or has he always done it? Have you had him checked out at the vet?

A few more details can help us answer your question.:)

Lucky Rescue
September 11th, 2003, 09:12 PM
If your dog has been checked and cleared of health problems, he may just be very anxious and nervous and gobbling his food too fast. Nervous dogs also sometimes drink too much water, and if he does so right after eating, that could cause vomiting. I had a dog who would do this.

I would let him drink some after eating, then say "Enough" and he learned to stop.

You might also want to get a product like "Rescue Remedy" or "Clomicalm" from your vet.

I would also definitely put him on better quality food - like Wellness, Innova, California Natural, or Nutro Natural. These foods are very digestible and may help with the vomiting and allergies.

Has switching to 4 small meals a day helped?