Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Removing ticks?

Cookiegirlandi
November 1st, 2005, 04:40 PM
Hi All, I am new here. Posting because we found this sweet little kitten today. She is very young, maybe 8-14 weeks. She is blind in one eye as it has a round pupil and cloudy like cataracts. I gave her a bath, dried her (which she just loved), and hubby brought me some Revolution from the vet as she has fleas. She meowed at me and I noticed something brown in her mouth. Shyly looked again and I believe she has at least one tick in her mouth. I understand the Revolution does not work on ticks and I need info on removing these from her mouth. Poor little creature :) She is such a purrbox! Have her in the bathroom sleeping curled up in a towel as it takes 6 hours for the revolution to work, I want to keep her from my other pets. Just want to remove the ticks for now. Looking for her owners but, I live in the country and even though she was wearing a flea collar, she may have been dropped off here. She was famished. Any pointers greatly welcome and appreciated!TIA!! Andi

Lucky Rescue
November 1st, 2005, 04:49 PM
Thanks for saving this poor baby!

A tick inside her mouth?? I suggest you take her to the vet immediately, as there are tick-borne diseases to watch for. It would be very hard for you to remove the tick safely. You could get tweezers, grasp the tick as close to the entry point as possible, then pull straight out. Even then, there is a chance that the tick's mouthparts will remain in the flesh.

I"m glad you took the flea collar off!

chico2
November 1st, 2005, 05:24 PM
I just wanted to say thank's for rescuing this little girl,I am sure she'll pay you back ten-fold.I have no idea how to remove ticks inside the mouth.I would think the vet is the only solution.

jesse's mommy
November 1st, 2005, 05:26 PM
I too want to thank you for rescuing that little girl. It's so wonderful to know that another animal is getting a second chance in a warm loving home. Way to go! :thumbs up

Cookiegirlandi
November 1st, 2005, 05:29 PM
Well, it's not a tick. Thank God! Looks like one though! Going to the vet soon, I hope the baby is not sick as it has the one blind eye. It was a dark bump on her gum, the outside of teeth. On the side of her good eye. Not like a freckle, as my other pets have those. Adhered to the skin like bump. Looks like a leach to me but round? Maybe just a mole or something? Have no clue. She's happy and fluffy and warm in the towel in bathroom again :)

Don't have the heart to put her back outside.

chico2
November 1st, 2005, 05:48 PM
Yes,please do not put her outside,she will be perfectly happy as an indoor only cat.There are too many dangers out there for a little kitten...let us know how she is doing,a picture of your pets would be nice,we love pics..

Prin
November 1st, 2005, 06:14 PM
Lucky, did you say to pull it out because it was in the mouth? I ask because normally, you're either supposed to cover it with vaseline or rub it with a q-tip dipped in alcohol so that it will pull its head out and then you remove it. Of course, inside the mouth the alcohol method might work, but the vaseline wouldn't... :yuck:

I just brought it up because if somebody searches for ways to remove ticks, they have to know that pulling them out and leaving the head in can cause serious infections. :)

Cookiegirlandi
November 1st, 2005, 06:31 PM
I have been reading about removing ticks.........thought about using some vodka on a cottonball to make it pull out but, read further and it might not be a good idea because it may cause the tick to "gross" vomit into the kitten. It does not appear to be a tick, but I have no experience in this. It is a dark gray bump on her gum outside her teeth? Looks like a leech but round? Thanks friends! :)

Lucky Rescue
November 1st, 2005, 07:07 PM
Yes, you can pull out a tick IF you can get the tweezers right down to the base and pull straight out, with no twisting or bending.

I've done it before.

was a dark bump on her gum, the outside of teeth.

The vet must see this. Could be a tumour.