Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

please help

brandysm
November 1st, 2005, 02:41 PM
I have an 8 year old female mix(border collie and cocker spaniel) I rescued her from the pound when she was just 6 weeks old. I have had no problems that the vet couldn't help until this summer. she starting itching, I figured it was fleas, so I treated her for fleas. She is still itching; her skin is red, has black spots, she is lossing her hair, she also has an odor. The area goes from the middle of her back down to the top of her tail. I have tried a variety of things and none have worked, the vet gave her antibiotics which helped, then prednisone which did nothing. I want to help her but don't know how. Please help me! I am very attached to her and don't like to see her suffer. If you can help please email me at ... Any help would be greatly apprieciated.

raingirl
November 1st, 2005, 02:51 PM
Sounds like it could be a food allergy or skin allergy (seasonal). Could be Seasonal Aloepaceia as well.

What do you feed the dog? The most common food allergens for dogs are beef, chicken, corn, wheat and soy. If your dog food has any of those, I suggest switching to one that doesn't have any of those. Try food with a unique protein and carbohydrate. They are often indicated as "allergy" foods as they have only one protein source, and one carbohydrate source.

brandysm
November 1st, 2005, 02:55 PM
Sounds like it could be a food allergy or skin allergy (seasonal). Could be Seasonal Aloepaceia as well.

What do you feed the dog? The most common food allergens for dogs are beef, chicken, corn, wheat and soy. If your dog food has any of those, I suggest switching to one that doesn't have any of those. Try food with a unique protein and carbohydrate. They are often indicated as "allergy" foods as they have only one protein source, and one carbohydrate source.

I feed her purina dog chow. What do you suggest?

jessi76
November 1st, 2005, 03:09 PM
It may help to post a picture of the skin spots if you can.

Did the vet do a skin scraping? (to rule out mites? if there is an odor, it could be a type of mange)

Go to the Dog Food Forum for good dog food choices. (I wouldn't feed my dog Purina Dog Chow)

Prin
November 1st, 2005, 04:48 PM
I feed her purina dog chow. What do you suggest?
Purina Dog Chow is not good at all... We all pretty consistently recommend:
Wellness (www.oldmotherhubbard.com)
Solid Gold (www.solidgoldhealth.com)
Merrick (www.merrickpetcare.com)
Chicken Soup for the Dog lover... (http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/ChickenSoup/formulasnew.php)
Canidae (http://www.canidae.com/)
Timberwolf Organics (http://www.timberwolforganics.com/)

Am I forgetting any?

Have a look at the ingredients of their foods and compare. The above foods don't have corn, soy, wheat (most of them) or byproducts. Corn, soy and wheat are the most common causes of food allergies, but chicken can be in there too.

brandysm
November 1st, 2005, 05:50 PM
It may help to post a picture of the skin spots if you can.

Did the vet do a skin scraping? (to rule out mites? if there is an odor, it could be a type of mange)

Go to the Dog Food Forum for good dog food choices. (I wouldn't feed my dog Purina Dog Chow)

the vet did not do a skin scraping. I will find a picture to post. thank you

coppperbelle
November 1st, 2005, 06:30 PM
I would just like to add to the list of better foods Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance. It is sold at Petco. Look at the Duck and Potato blend. Sounds like your dog may have an allergy. You want to avoid foods with corn and Purina dog chow is full of it.

gottahavepets
November 1st, 2005, 09:44 PM
I don't know if it's available where you are, Acana is a great natural brand of dog food, made locally near Edmonton but shipped around the world. It is naturally preserved with Vitamin E (from natural sources) which is good for skin and coat and healing, also there is nothing in it I wouldn't give to my son (he ate enough of it when he was two!) all human grade meat, no BHT or BHA. My border/lab is on the premium, she was on the high energy but she's a fairly low energy border. If it's not available and you want to try it ask your retailer to look into getting it. I highly recommend it. :pawprint:

Shaykeija
November 6th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Just took Missie and Sophie into the vet for almost the same thing. I found out they both have dry coats. We got some spray for them and they have stopped chewing. Tonight we are coating their hair with this special coat conditioner and letting it sit for a hour then rince them. My conditioner $2 theirs $27 :p . Good thing my husband has no hair lol. :D

BoxerRescueMTL
November 6th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Sounds a lot like problems with yeast. Check out this website http://www.nzymes.com . Even if you don't want to buy their products, there is a tonne of info and photos of dogs with conditions that sound like yours. It is very common and usually diagnosed as "allergies".

JessXx
November 6th, 2005, 05:32 PM
is she fixed?

Kona1
November 6th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Yes, it certainly does sound like allergies. I'm going through the same thing with my lab she has had allergies for 2 years now has gone through so much testing. She's been on antibiotics, medrol, antihistamines, has had allergies shots which didn't work, I have been trying everything and anything. She has hardly any fur left especially done the side of her where she bites at it. My vet now wants to try her on cyclosporine, but I'm a little hesitant, as I did some reading and there are many side effects. The odour you smell is a bacterial infection, you will have to bathe in medicated shampoo every 2-3 days, it does help.
One thing I did try the other day which helped a lot is Aloe Vera Gel. You can get it at Wal-Mart. Put it on where she scratches and then put a t-shirt on so she won't lick it. I did it for a couple of days and it has worked.
Do get her tested. My vet went through all the steps from food elimination, to scraping her skin, then allergy test. The allergy test will determine what she is allergic to. My has environmental allergies, so pretty well everything outside. Can't wait for the cold weather to come.
Also, definitely switch the food. Purina is a low grade, get something more natural.