Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hairballs

Shamrock
November 1st, 2005, 02:44 PM
My Himalayan cat is five and though he has a massive furry coat, the hair has never been a problem for him until just recently. He's been coughing up hairballs quite regularly. He's combed daily, and I've been giving him Petromalt, but the problem continues.
Yesterday, he landed one in my husband's shoe in the closet - a rather unpleasant squishy suprise.

I am not sure what else I can do for these? I'm wondering if I should take him to the vet, in case its some digestive disorder he is developing.

Prin
November 1st, 2005, 07:03 PM
I don't know much about fixing hairballs (other than shaving the kitty), but I have to say, your anecdote fits in with the kitties in comic strips plotting against "pinky".

mona_b
November 1st, 2005, 11:21 PM
If it's just starting now,then I would have him checked.Just to be on the safe side.Is it just the hair,or do you see food in it?

Casper,my DMH was couphing up the hairballs.I actually changed his food to Preformatrin Holistic.And I must say,it has actually helped.Once in a while he will hoark one up.

BMDLuver
November 2nd, 2005, 07:44 AM
Our resident rescue cat had a horrid time with hairballs, hoarking them up at least three times per week. I switched her to a hairball food from the vet and about one month after the switch she stopped leaving presents everywhere.

Shamrock
November 2nd, 2005, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, ladies.
I'm going to take Basil to the vet, I've decided.
The hairball thing has been going on for a couple of months.. but last night he had an episode of diarrarhea - it's the second one in a week.

Not only is this worrisome healthwise - as a exceptionally "hairy" cat.. the mess he makes out of himself is no fun on the cleanup detail.. WHAT a job..eww. :sick:

He's on Felidae food, regular. A switch to a hairball diet may be all thats needed, but I would feel better having the vet check him over to make sure there is nothing else going on.

mona_b
November 2nd, 2005, 10:38 PM
Please let us know what the vet says. :)

Not sure if you have a Pet Value there,but the Preformatrin Ultra Holistic has helped my little hoarker....LOL

t90princesst
November 3rd, 2005, 01:47 AM
we use laxatone for all of ours. my littlest will eat it rite out of the tube.