Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Three Little Words

Shamrock
November 1st, 2005, 02:25 PM
How often do you say the words "I love you" to those you love?

Children of course cannot hear this enough, and for couples, it should also be expressed regularly ( but sometimes isnt) ;)

I'm referrring to other adults in our lives that we love - parents, sisters, brothers,friends, even adult children. Do you tell them every time you see them that you love them?
Upon saying good-bye?
On special occasions?
When its been or will be a long absence?
Rarely?

Certainly we know who loves us, and we trust that they know the same of us. There are many acts and gestures that show and reinforce love - whether it's verbalized freqently or seldom. We "feel" it, we know it. Actions speak louder than words, after all.
Still, its nice to hear it... :love:
We sometimes just take it for granted that others know we love them.
Saying the words or not is largely just habit, I believe. Some familes are very demonstrative, very verbal.. others more reserved.

Though we kiss each other hello or goodbye, I dont think the adults in our family have been saying "I love you" nearly enough. I've recently been making an effort to express this often. As it's not been our "tradition" to be declaring our love each time we meet - some seem a bit uncomfortable with this :D But, what can it hurt?

I am curious though, if our family is in the minority in this regard?

Luvmypit
November 1st, 2005, 02:39 PM
Hey shamrock,

My family as in my brothers and sister hardley say we love eachother. I do say it to my nephews everytime I say goodbye. My mom I say it most of the time but not all the time and ditto for her. My dad not so much. He doesn't really say it much at all. My boyfriend I say everyday at least once but not everytime we talk or everytime we leave or meet up with eachother. I tell my SD I love her a lot cause I know she has had it hard so i find I go out of my way so she knows.

So thats about it. I do believe that it should be said more often as we never know when things will change. And for those that felt uncomfortable who cares they were probably just taken aback but I am sure they appreciate it.

:)

Dog Mom
November 1st, 2005, 02:47 PM
My Dad isn't a lovey dovey kinda guy and would not always say "I Love You" back, last year just after thanksgiving he had a massive heart attack and had to be in the hospital for about 2 weeks so now I make a point to wait until he says it before I hang up the phone ( we live 4 hours away) it's kinda like a joke now but I still get to hear it :thumbs up I say I Love You to everyone that I care about because you never know when you'll lose them!!

Schwinn
November 1st, 2005, 02:53 PM
Every night before I go to bed I make sure to tell Cheryl I love her, whether she is asleep or not. Even if we have an arguement, those are the last words I say to her before I go to sleep. I know it sounds corny, but I need to know that I've said it, just in case.

melanie
November 1st, 2005, 03:02 PM
i say i love you when parting in person or on the phone to my immeadiate family, ie mum, dad sis and the kids. i have a couple of very special friends that i say it to when talking to them.

i always say it to those i truly love as i always think that if anything happens i want our last words to be sweet and loving, aside from the fact that i do love them and like them to know it. and life is too short not to express to those you love.

my neice and nephew have said it since the day they could talk, and its soooooooo cute to have my 3yo neice say it at the end of a conversation, oh just soooo cute.

and now if she says it first and you say i love you back, she stands there saying too, too mely, which means in her eyes when you reply you should say 'i love you too' back, strange kids but oh so dam cute.

and hubby and i say it for every moment we part, be it in the morn to work, hanging up the phone any time or at night before bed, and mostly a dozen impromptue times in between.

and i cant help it because 'i love them so much' :D

doggy lover
November 1st, 2005, 04:14 PM
I tell my family I love them all the time, also some of my close friends. You never know if it could be the last time so I'd rather let them know how I feel. :p I love you guys too :p

melanie
November 1st, 2005, 04:29 PM
and we love you too doggy, how could we not. :D :p

Prin
November 1st, 2005, 05:57 PM
I have told 4 people in my life that I love them. I say it to this man all the time; very, very often. I told my friend's mom, who was one of the few that helped keep me alive when I was a teenager. I told my childhood best friend, whom I never talk to anymore. And I told my dad, maybe 4 times.

I grew up in a home with very conditional love and when I say it, I want to be sure there is no way that I will ever take it back. One of my best friends was really offended because I wouldn't tell her I loved her. I just couldn't promise that I did. She wasn't too happy with that, but hey, you can't force somebody to love you.

I've never told my brothers, but it's sort of implied, I guess. We've had such a hard time together that there are so many unwritten, unsaid understandings there.

I think I'm a generous person, but I won't go using strong words frivolously. My actions say a lot and my words are the icing that a few get to taste. But I'm getting better. :o

Schwinn
November 2nd, 2005, 12:26 PM
I told Gracie last night because I realized I'd never said it to her. She smiled at me, so I'm hoping that means she loves me too! :o

shannonRN
November 2nd, 2005, 12:47 PM
I've always told my dad and my in-laws that I love them, and all my neices and nephews. And for the last 9 years, I've told my husband about 4 times a day that I love him.

I realized though that my sisters, who are so close to me, even though so far away, never hear that from me. Last Christmas I bought the three of us these cute "three sisters" pins
http://www.canvastoclay.com/product_images/CWDP06_436144.jpg
and had a little heart-to-heart with my sisters; we all ended up bawling. I can't really say the we tell each other that we love each other all the time, but I feel at least it's been said. I don't know why we feel so uncomfortable about it still though.