Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Another new member. Got our puppy at 2 months, she is now 5 months old.

dadams312
November 1st, 2005, 12:56 PM
I'm a new pet owner, so everything on this site will be a great benefit. I came here mostly to read up on a good diet for our 5 month old puppy.

We adopted Sugar at 2 months old from the shelter. We orginally went in to just get a feel for the kinds of dogs they had, but this one caught us the second we saw her. We're told she is a Shepherd/Boxer mix, then told later that she may have some pitbull in her also.

She has been a heart ache to us already, but has proven to be a strong dog that is willing to fight through anything. We almost lost her 2 weeks after we brought her home due to a serious infection.

This is Sugar at 4 months.

http://home.comcast.net/~dadams312/10---02---2005-014.jpg

shannonRN
November 1st, 2005, 01:55 PM
Sure looks like shep/boxer to me! She's very cute. Welcome!

mastifflover
November 1st, 2005, 01:59 PM
Welcome and your baby is a real cutie. I would look for the best quality food you can afford. Make sure it does not contain corn or soya these are high allergens for dogs and can make yours and your dogs life miserable, so if you can avoid them do. Also make sure that the first items are meat (chicken, turkey or beef) whatever you choose. I find chicken lighter then lamb, but with that said you probably have a pretty high energy dog so I might go with lamb because she will burn it off it is also good for dogs with allergies or sensitive stomachs. I hope this helps but if you have any questions pm me or post and I will hopefully be able to answer your questions. :pawprint:

dadams312
November 1st, 2005, 02:08 PM
Welcome and your baby is a real cutie. I would look for the best quality food you can afford. Make sure it does not contain corn or soya these are high allergens for dogs and can make yours and your dogs life miserable, so if you can avoid them do. Also make sure that the first items are meat (chicken, turkey or beef) whatever you choose. I find chicken lighter then lamb, but with that said you probably have a pretty high energy dog so I might go with lamb because she will burn it off it is also good for dogs with allergies or sensitive stomachs. I hope this helps but if you have any questions pm me or post and I will hopefully be able to answer your questions. :pawprint:

Unfortunately where I live they don't carry very many high quality foods. I've been able to find Innova, and Chick Soup....Hopefully one of those will suffice.

mastifflover
November 1st, 2005, 03:53 PM
Actually Chicken Soup is an excellent food and Innova if I remember correctly is also a very good food. Either of these would be a good choice but I know Chicken Soup has very good ingredients. So you are on your way to a healthy dog as far as food goes. I would follow the feeding directions because with good food you will need to feed less since it is not a bunch of filler. Good luck and we are here for any questions you have and like all of us I am sure you will have lots. But ask away it is the only way you learn and we are always learning about our babies.

Prin
November 1st, 2005, 05:40 PM
Welcome to the board!! Your doggy is a good combo- a longer haired doggy with short hair... :D

And yes, chicken soup is a pretty good food. :)

jesse's mommy
November 1st, 2005, 05:42 PM
I just want to tug on those ears! How adorable.

chico2
November 1st, 2005, 05:44 PM
If she's never heard of"Chicken-soup-for-dog-lovers-soul"she might not know what you mean by Chicken-soup :D I feed my cats the cat variety and they love it.

dadams312
November 1st, 2005, 06:58 PM
I just want to tug on those ears! How adorable.

I can tell the exact mood she's in by the way she has her ears. :thumbs up

Prin
November 1st, 2005, 06:59 PM
If she's never heard of"Chicken-soup-for-dog-lovers-soul"she might not know what you mean by Chicken-soup :D I feed my cats the cat variety and they love it.
LOL I thought about that, Chico, but she said it first.. :D