Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

new here

girl on wheels
November 1st, 2005, 12:23 PM
Hi i am new, and am glad to have found this board.
I never realized the amount of info / boards until recently. I am the loving mom of two dogs and two birds.
I have a beautiful great dane female, who is a my sweetheart. And a bully boy who is my little charmer. Oh and of course my two budgies( aka the cereal thieves).hehe
I live in niagara, and am trying to adjust to life in a wheelchair, a big task as i have always been very active, work, hiking ,jogging etc.
The biggest surprise was how my old girl( ayla the dane) has just sort of become a working dog like that! She just seemed to sense what was needed and took over, dogs never cease to amaze me with their intuitiveness.
I cant wait to search thruogh some more posts
dawn

shannonRN
November 1st, 2005, 02:00 PM
Just one of the many amazing traits of dogs! I'm sorry to hear of the recent challenges to your lifestyle, but welcome aboard--try not to get addicted! Post some pics if you have them :)

girl on wheels
November 2nd, 2005, 08:26 AM
Hi shannon,
thanks for the welcome. Are you an RN? Me too.
I see you have a cat, she ? looks beautiful.
Once again, thanks
dawn

maddoxies
November 2nd, 2005, 09:44 AM
It is amazing how well our animals can adapt. My Heidi Ho Ho (mini dachshund) is semi paralized and uses a cart; but you will never tell her that she is handicapped. She can hold her own with my healthy doxie and the bigger dogs too.

Sorry to hear of your challenges. They are a good group here and there is always a cyber ear and shoulder available.

Welcome to our fur family :highfive:

Prin
November 2nd, 2005, 10:20 PM
Welcome to the board! I'm surprised nobody has asked you for pics... Especially because you have a Dane- I don't know about the others, but I think dane pictures are among the best.... :)

chico2
November 3rd, 2005, 09:24 AM
Welcome GOW,we definetly LOVE pics of Great Danes and Bullies to for that matter,actually any animal :D
It must be a challenge,adjusting to a life in a wheel-chair.Life throws us curveballs,but I know you get great comfort from your dogs/cats in a way that no human can give you.
This Forum is a great place to be,ask any question,about anything and the great people here will try to help. :grouphug:

girl on wheels
November 3rd, 2005, 09:56 AM
Thanks all for the welcome.
the dogs are a blessing , the big girl is such a help! The little bully is such a good boy, but he is having a hard time adjusting to my injury. I have always had animals and they are so intuitive and comforting. If only some people had so much heart, and faithfulness.
They were used to me being so active, the dane is well a typical dane, quite happy to lay about with me( they are not so high energy), plus she is older. The little guy is afraid of the chair, and because i am an incomplete quad. my arms are not very strong. I have movement but no real strength,I cant really pet them for long or brush etc. But boy can i cuddle them.. He is finding it so hard because i cant really play as much with him. I am having a hard time adapting to all of this myself, and i am feeling very guilty about the little one, like i am not providing enough for him. Of course he doesnt misbehave, just lays around , but i know he is not getting what he really needs . He just looks so sad and bored, or he will bring me his kong and want me to throw it (alot) , and i just cant keep up.
My inuries are permanent, and i have not figured out how to cope them yet myself Chico. The two things that i miss the most are my job and being out running in the park with dogs etc. Plus my volunteer work. I am hoping that with time i will be able to find more to be involved with.

Goldengirl, how great for your little doxie to have an owner who goes the distance with her. Does she have ( degenerative)spinal myelopathy?? That is what i have, in my neck so it has affected everything below. I know the doxies and shepards are very prone to it, my vet always asks me lots of questions about how it affects me, like pain , numbness and other neuro symptoms, he says the dogs just wont tell him! hehe
It is amazing how the dogs adapt to the carts isnt it. I have seen a shepard with one, and boy does he just go !
I will try to get some pictures up , as soon as i figure out how. Up until recently i didnt have much time for the pc, so am just a bit of a technical dope! :rolleyes:
Thanks for the welcomes, hope you all have a great day
dawn

maddoxies
November 3rd, 2005, 12:10 PM
GOW, I tried to send you a private message, but the system says that you have chosen not to receive pms.
I have a couple of suggestions to help exercise your boy.
The xrays show that Heidi's injuries are not in the typical places for doxies, so we suspect that they were human inflicted :sad: or maybe some sort of freak accident. Since she is a rescue, we will never know her complete story.

Prin
November 3rd, 2005, 02:57 PM
I'm sorry for your injury. They say it does get easier with time, but I can't vouch for that because I haven't been through it.

All I can say is the little guy probably would rather be with you doing nothing than be with someone else running around. You sound like a generous and caring person and that alone makes a great home for a doggy. :) :grouphug:

jesse's mommy
November 3rd, 2005, 09:39 PM
Welcome to the board and I'm terribly sorry to hear of your injury. This board is such a great place to find out information on our pets, but also a great place to meet friends.

Like Prin said, I wouldn't worry too much about your dogs not getting what they need because I'm sure they are just happy to be and have you. They are your family and they will be there for you.

shannonRN
November 4th, 2005, 02:50 AM
Hi shannon,
thanks for the welcome. Are you an RN? Me too.

Yes--and two RN's are better than one, I always say ;)
I work at a small hospital and work a flexible schedule floating between several units (just for fun :rolleyes: ) and in my spare time, I bang my head against the wall :crazy:

But seriously, I find that furry things with a pulse are excellent cures for all that stresses me out, so it makes me sad to think that you're stressing about yours. They will have to go through a period of adjustment just as you will but I imagine this will be much easier for them than you expect. They love you and are happy to have you in any capacity. Hang in there.

SnowDancer
November 4th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Welcome. I am very sorry that you are suffering from degenerative spinal myelopathy. My uncle who helped me out considerably during my teen years suffered from this, but it was many years ago. He was also a very active man - 6'4", married to my 5' aunt. He knew that he would eventually become paralyzed and regrettably he became a full quad. My aunt took excellent care of him and he lived to be nearly 80. Unfortunately during this time period - he was a full quad by 1956, there was not the range of equipment available to help my aunt - she had a basic hydrolic lift, but that was about it. He did receive some excellent treatment at Lyndhurst Lodge though, so thought I would mention it, just in case they could help you out, even though you do not live in Toronto. I have an interest in Lyndhurst because of my uncle, and the unit that specifically helps afflicted patients has been included in my will. You probably know that Lyndhurst is now part of a group - but I wanted my money to go to help the people directly. Also, like GoldenGirl, I had Dachshunds, who did suffer from the full body paralysis. So a special interest of mine. I admire GoldenGirl immensely for her dedication to Heidi. My last little guy almost ended up with wheels, but alas, time was too short. But I have seen how well they can adapt. I hope that your condition has stabilized. I know you are concerned about your pets and their new restricted lifestyle, but they understand in their own way and will adapt, just as you would to any physical limitations that might strike them.