Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Beagle puppy has dandruff.

Giselle
November 1st, 2005, 11:42 AM
I don't know if this is a health problem or not but I recently got a male beagle puppy. He is about 2.5 months old and I noticed yesterday that he has dandruff. I checked the skin on his back and it's flaking. I was just wondering if some shampoo and brushing will get rid of that or if I should take him to the vet. Also he cries non stop! Is there anything I can do about that? Should I hold him when he cries? Or should I just let it pass? His eyes really convince me to carry him, but I think that might baby him too much.

On another note. We have had a female Chihuahua for about 5 years. When we brought the puppy home she would run away from him with her tail in between her legs. Now 3 days later, the beagle follows her all the time, all over the place. I think she is annoyed and barks at him (not in her normal tone of bark, it sounds more high pitched, more like a mix between a bark and a cry) and she also takes bites at him, but she never actually bites him. A couple times she does bite him and grabs his ears, but then she lets go and runs away. Will she ever get confortable around him? I remember what the puppy is doing is exactly what the chihuahua did to our other dog (passed away) when we brought her home.

SunGurl372
November 1st, 2005, 12:11 PM
Giselle - Is he itching at all? My mixed breed pup has horrific flea allergies. It only takes one bite, and she's itching like crazy, loses hair in clumps by her tail, and her skin flakes horribly. I have to make sure she's gets a topical flea control medicine each month.

Prin
November 1st, 2005, 12:25 PM
The dandruff could be seasonal (it gets drier in the fall) or it could be from his food. Sometimes a change to a better food helps the skin.

As for the two doggies, I think you need to see a trainer. A lot of issues pop up when there are two dogs in a home and speaking to a trainer might help you understand what is going on a little better. :)

Giselle
November 1st, 2005, 12:35 PM
Well sometimes he sits down and starts biting his back, like when they have fleas. So he might have fleas?

I will definitely go see a trainer, thanks for the help.

SunGurl372
November 1st, 2005, 01:50 PM
Glad Prin jumped in here, as she has been a darling in helping me out with some of Harley's issues.

In my adventures with Harley, many (but not all) of her skin issues are caused by her flea allergies. I think one way you could tell if it is fleas would be to get a flea comb and look for flea "dust" coming from his fur. I think you can wipe the dander on a white paper towel and the "dust" would look reddish.

How long ago did you get the pup and is he on a flea medication yet? If you've started him on something, it could be he's still working through the reaction of a pre-med bite.

As Prin mentioned, diet contributes a ton to an animal's skin / hair problems as well. Along with her allergies, my sweet girl is a chronic shedder. In the past month, I've upgraded her food from Nutro (Lamb & Rice) to Solid Gold WolfCub and their Sea Meal supplement.

I know it's probably too early to tell, but I'd swear Harley's coat is improving and she certainly eats the food like there's no tomorrow. It also seems like she's shedding alot less already (thanks Prin!!!!). :p

Prin
November 1st, 2005, 05:36 PM
Yey! I'm glad I could help. :o :)

Definitely check out for fleas- they spread really quickly with two doggies around...