Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fleas

lilith_rizel
November 1st, 2005, 09:37 AM
I started a babysitting job last week, and since then, we have gotten fleas REALLY bad, to the point that I just saw one on my 10 month old's head! We have NO carpet, and I have washed EVERYTHING in the house, but we still got them.... what can I do to get rid of them that is safe for my baby, and me, being that I am still pregnant? I am positive that they came from the child's house, as I always check my cats for fleas, atleast once a week. And they didn't show up, until after she started coming! Please, if anyone can give me any ideas on how to stop this FAST, it would really make my day!!!!!

PetFriendly
November 1st, 2005, 09:45 AM
If you don't have carpets, you're ahead of the game. Are your cats treated with monthly flea 'juice' or pills? Could be the fleas were just looking for a different host if the cats have been treated. If you haven't trreatged the cats, I'd hop over to the vets office and get something along the lines of Revolution (there are more but that's what we use here so I can't think of anything else off the top of my head).

Even if your cats don't go outside, the fleas can come in on your shoes, then take the leap of faith to find your cats. I think they can then hang tight in the furniture until something suitable walks by.

Call your pedeatrician (sp) and ask about flea products for the house. 10 months is a hard age, because they are on the floor, so I see your concern but can't think of anything...

amber416
November 1st, 2005, 12:20 PM
ick, we got fleas right before we moved into our new duplex, from a litter of foster kittens. We had carpet, but we used a spray that was safe for cats (we couldn't let the kittens come into direct contact with it, though) in the apartment, as well as washing and vacuming absolutely everything, and after we killed all the fleas on the kittens, we were completely flea-free. If it's really bad you might have to flea bomb your place, but i'm not sure how long you would need to stay out or anything like that, seeing as how you're pregnant. Definitely make sure your cats are treated, though. Good luck!

lilith_rizel
November 1st, 2005, 01:14 PM
Yes, our cats are treated monthly with Revolution. I don't see any on them.... I was thinking about just getting powder/spray to put on the furniture and maybe toss a little in with our clothing (not the baby's though) during washes. I just found a flea on myself. ICK!!! Hubby has never seen a flea until I showed him.... I am talking to the parents of the girl I babysit, and inform them that I have found fleas here, and that they should check their pets, just incase. I might buy a flea bomb tonight, and bomb the house this weekend, and just go to a friend's house all day, and have hubby come back a few hours ahead of us to open up windows before the rest of us come home.

mastifflover
November 1st, 2005, 01:49 PM
First off Hi Lilith have missed you congrats on the impending new one. My vet has recommended to me eucalyptus oil the fleas hate it. I think once you get rid of the little buggers you could put drops of eucalyptus oil around the house of course where the baby can't get to it. Best of luck with the fleas and the new baby. When are you due?

lilith_rizel
November 1st, 2005, 02:09 PM
I am due December 13th! 7 more dreadful weeks. I am absolutely huge and uncomfortable! Hubby has been putting tiger balm on my back at night, which has been helping alot. And now that I am watching a 3 y/o I have no time for anything anymore.... lol, brings in needed money though! I will try to get on a little more often once things settle down around here. Right now hubby and I are in the process of getting custody of my 16 y/o sister, for reasons I am not going to mention. But it is needed, is all I am going to say. She is staying with us temp. right now, and I have found out stuff that I didn't know about since she has came here. So, that is taking up alot of time right now as well.....

mastifflover
November 1st, 2005, 05:25 PM
Well I hope things go well for you and will look forward to hearing from you once you get things in your life organized. Good luck

Prin
November 1st, 2005, 06:38 PM
Yey! Lilith's back! I'm glad your hubby is home finally too. Good luck with the baby. :)

Back to the fleas... I agree with asking the pediatrician for advice on this one. You don't want to get a flea remedy that will affect the kids or your baby. ;) Good luck.

PetFriendly
November 3rd, 2005, 07:24 PM
What if it isn't fleas? I was thinking today (Long boring meeting) and if all your pets are treated for fleas, and if you don't have carpet, what if the new kid you're taking care of has lice? I've never seen one, so I'm not sure if they could be mistaken for fleas, but its a thought?! I'm not positive, but I don't think fleas can live on humans alone so it might be something else... :confused:

lilith_rizel
November 4th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Definatly NOT lice, and are fleas. I went checked my kitties today, and now they got them too... UGH!!! So.... tonight they are all getting baths, and salt is going to be placed on all furniture, for the nest 3 days.... Aparently, that is supposed to work, so I will give it a shot. There are also 2 other tricks that I was told about, that I am going to try. So hopefully by Monday, we will be flea free here....