Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat's eyes not constricting

vcheng79
November 1st, 2005, 07:34 AM
I am just wondering how come my cat, Sabrina, isn't constricting her pupils anymore. Is this something I should be worried? She used to constrict her pupils under light (like normal cats) but she no longer does that. Her pupils are constantly dilated (sometimes slightly constricted but compare to other cats they're still considered as dilated). Please help...

Lucky Rescue
November 1st, 2005, 09:48 AM
Are you sure she's not blind? Hold your finger up, then bring it down quickly towards her eye and stop just before you hit the eye. See if she blinks.

vcheng79
November 2nd, 2005, 05:05 AM
Both of her eyes blink alright...in fact, she slapped me with her palm... :eek:

StinkyT
November 2nd, 2005, 07:38 PM
I have 9 month old Siamese and he's got blue eyes. You don't see them often, the pupils are always so dilated they look purple... from the red eye syndrome. I say as long as your cat's been checked by the vet and her reactions are normal, it's nothing to worry about.

MOOSEDRY
November 2nd, 2005, 08:29 PM
i have a cat like yours. her pupils do constrict a little under very bright light, but seem to remain undilated most of the time. i thought it odd at first, but now it just seems normal, vet didn't seem concerned. she doesn't seem bothered by it in any way, and her vision doesn't seem to have suffered at all because of it. perhaps it's a quirky thing? just my two cents.

tracy :)