Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Won't stop licking his chops and hind quarters

Rebelrage
November 1st, 2005, 01:35 AM
My dog "Rebel" is a rottweiler (sp?) and since yesterday (10-30-05) he has been licking his chops as if there was a hair or something in his mouth. He also won't stop biting and licking at his tail, butt, genetials (sp?), and back legs. He walks around the house like he is trying to catch a fly, which at first is what I thought he was doing, and he also at the same time will then whip around and start either licking the parts I listed above or gnaw at them. Any suggestions about what this might be, please let me know my income is very limited and I am hoping this can be taken care of at home instead of a vet. Also alittle more info is he is 2 years old and I just recently brought him inside the house from a pen outside. He has been outside in the pen for about a year, for fear of him constantly running out of the house and then chasing cars. I brought him back inside because not only do me and my children feel safer (he is very protective of his surroundings) but we missed him greatly. And for those that worry about him running out of the house still we now have a security gate (like for children), set up high enough that he can't jump it, in front of our door. Someone please help! I am worried about him and he seems so bothered by whatever it is.

Prin
November 1st, 2005, 01:55 AM
I think a lot of members here would agree that we by far prefer the doggy to be in your home than locked up outside... We're not fans of that...

I'm sorry, but I think you have to see a vet for this. In my opinion, it's either really bad allergies or really bad anxiety, but either way, it's pretty bad. If the doggy keeps going like this, he's going to chew something raw and that will cost you wayyy more to "fix" in the long run. With vet stuff, usually the sooner you go in, the cheaper the cost. ;)

raingirl
November 1st, 2005, 08:58 AM
Might be too late, but when dogs excessively lick their mouth/air/items, it can be a sign they are choking or have something stuck in their throat that they are trying to get out. I would suggest a vet trip ASAP.

yoda900_ca
November 1st, 2005, 09:21 AM
He also could have a type of worm. He licks his bum area then licks around his mouth could because he has a critter stuck there. Also worms can cause dicomfort and dogs will naw thier at backside when uncomfortable. U can buy general dewormers over the counter but u should find out from vet first if thats the case. my vet does a poop check for worms for $12. Might be able toget a vet to check the sample w/o a vistit.If it's not worms i think u need a vet visit.

jawert1
November 1st, 2005, 10:00 AM
Thank you for bringing him inside :) Secondly, most vets are more than happy to do payment plans and are more than willing to work with you on making sure your pup is the healthiest possible despite income restrictions. Please take him sooner rather than later, as was mentioned, a problem left go means more expense and trouble later :)

Lucky Rescue
November 1st, 2005, 10:44 AM
A dog left outside for a year(!) could have any number of parasites that might cause this licking.

Constantly licking the chops can be a sign of nausea, which creates a lot of saliva, but again, since he was always outside you don't know what he may have gotten into or been exposed to.

Big dogs are expensive to keep, must see vets, and need training. If you can do none of these things, rehoming him might be a better solution. Leaving a dog outside for a year because you didn't train him is not acceptable treatment.

You (and he) would be better off if you got an alarm system, new locks or bars on lower windows.

He definitely needs to see the vet.

Rebelrage
November 9th, 2005, 12:41 AM
Thank you to everyone for your opinions. I definitely didn't like to leave him outside and when we brought him back inside it was like a long lost family member came home, it is great to have him back inside. Also, I would like to clear up a couple of things. First, he was not left out there to himself me and my kids would go out every day to visit with him when he was out there. Second, to Deb he is not untrained! He is a very well behaved dog that I have trained myself and spent lots of time doing so, I however could not seem to train him not to go running for freedom the minute the door was opened, which by the way it seems the security gate in front of my door has seemed to have been training him not to knock people off their feet the minute the door is opened trying to get out. I am sorry for him that I didn't think of doing it sooner! Thirdly, also to Deb; who has seemed to pass judgement on me, before my husband and I split up we could afford him, but due to my husband being a complete idiot and not taking care of his responsiblities I am having to take care of my family by myself, so before you pass judgement on someone find out their story first! I would like to give special thanks to those that were nice about letting me know that the outside idea was not the greatest idea, I greatly regret doing it and if anyone feels bad about my decision it's "ME" so thanks for being nice about it. I would also like to give thanks to "jawert" for bringing to my attendion that some vets will work with me, I will be calling first thing in the morning and finding one that will and getting him to a vet, because despite what some might think he is one of the family and we love him. Thanks again to all.

jawert1
November 9th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Hey Rebelrage, keep us posted on how he's doing and how you make out at the vet :)

Rebelrage
November 9th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Thanks very much for your concern about my dog Rebel. I have an appointment at the vet tomorrow at 4pm, I don't know how I will pay for it, but hopefully they will be able to tell me what is wrong without running tests and it will only cost me $20 for the visit (what's the chances of that right?;) ) I couldn't find a vet that would work with me financially, so I will do what I can to get him some relief. I will let you know what the vet says and again thanks.

RaYne
November 10th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Just thought I'd offer a suggestion. I too had some difficulty with an unsuspected vet bill. My vet no longer does payment plans, since there were too many people just not paying him. My solution was to open a bank account just for 'vet visits' and deposit what I could into it weekly. Even just 5 bucks if that's all I had. It does add up and if you need it, it's there.

Good luck at the vet with Rebel. :)

Rebelrage
November 11th, 2005, 12:02 AM
RaYne thanks for the suggestion. It is a very good idea and I will do that thanks greatly that will definitely help me in the future. I got him to the vet and thank god it wasn't anything serious he has an allergy and she said it could be caused by many of things but figures since everyone around here is harvesting their crops this time of year it has to do with that since his food hasn't been changed or anything else. And also she said he had NO! :p parasites what so ever (she did a skin scraping) and that he was very healthy:D I did notice something else though, he has dandriff (sp?) any ideas on how to treat that, I did mention it to the vet, but she never commented on it. Anyway, she gave him an allergy shot and he is actually having a VERY restful sleep right now as we (or I) speak:) Thanks to everyone who suggested I go to the vet even though it did cost me $49 it is well worth the peace of mind I now have about his current condition or about anything else that could have come up due to his being outside.

jawert1
November 11th, 2005, 09:50 AM
YAY!!!!!!! The dandruff could also be a sign of allergies or yeast issues, all of which are controllable (see Raingirls post on Odin and yogurt - helpful info there). Thank goodness you have a good vet that's relatively inexpensive and you've established a relationship with, it will make going there in the future easier for you, Rebel and your wallet. Thanks for posting the update and have a happy Friday!