Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Dog has Distemper

lovemybabyboy
September 10th, 2003, 05:46 AM
I posted this on the General Forum by mistake but I think it belongs here...

Hi All,

My 5 months old Weimaraner has distemper. He's doing much better after much care and giving him natural medicine after much research on the net. However, he's lost a lot of weight and although he eats, he's not eating enough and this is making him very weak.

I have been feeding him cooked chicken and pedialyte which the vet said was fine as long as he ate something but now he doesn't really want to eat that any more.

Anyone has any suggestions to open his appetite up besides what they sell at pet stores. I have purchased one of the pastes called Nutri Cal to open appetite but it doesn't seem to be working much. Also, is there any homemade food I can give him that he might find more appealing than the dog food? (he's also losing his teeth and doesn't seem very interested in puppy food )
Thanks.

damit's mom
September 10th, 2003, 05:08 PM
i know you feel bad and want to help your dog feel better, 1 of my dogs needed to eat more then he was and i gave him cottage cheese, it settles on the stomach good, try green beans[canned] they give more proteins they need a dog will usually eat either well, or at least mine did good luck