Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Trick or treaters

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 31st, 2005, 10:28 PM
I got enought candy for 200 kids and were out within an hour, the kids even gave up the stuff that was usually left over like the gum balls and the suckers. I had to put a sign on the door saying to come back next year. Now my five year old wants to give all his candy away, so I guess were all set again. :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 31st, 2005, 10:30 PM
we talked him out of it, but it was a nice gesture on his part :)

StaceyB
October 31st, 2005, 10:42 PM
I took my kids out tonight. We only walked two streets, not very long ones but the candy they brought home was amazing. We covered a larger area last year and they only got half as much. Usually they would get tons of chips and a little candy. This year they came home with 3 full tim hortons bags filled full of chips, 1 full to the top of chocolate bars and 1 filled with assorted candy. I don't think I ever remember them bringing home that much.
The kids had fun, the dog didn't. He was attacked and bit by a loose dog. What upset me most was the fact that while I was spinning Montana around so the other dog wouldn't connect the owners just stood there. I had to tell them to get their dog. It is a good thing that he was wearing his coat and back pack otherwise he would have had several bites. It looks like he was nipped on his back end. I was so mad that they could be so irresponsible.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 31st, 2005, 10:57 PM
That is irresponsible letting your dog loose on halloween. I'm sorry Montana got bit. We didnt take Joey out for halloween, he watched me hand out candy from behind the baby gate.
He is okay with the noise and the fire works just layed on the couch the whole time. I think he is scared of costumes though. Back when the schools were on strike I would walk past the teachers picketing with their signs around them, and he would try to turn around and go back home. Which lead me to believe maybe he might be sacred of kids dressed up too, so I decided to keep him in tonight.

StaceyB
October 31st, 2005, 11:11 PM
I take him out every year, good social experience except for the dog.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 31st, 2005, 11:17 PM
Maybe next year I stayed home to hand out candy this year. :D

Prin
November 1st, 2005, 12:23 AM
I was really surprised how good my doggies were with the trick or treaters... They know what "candy" is and what "kids" are, so I just told them a couple of times that kids were just getting candy here and they barked at the knocks but after 2 knocks, at least they stopped trying to play with the kids. :)

In our old apartment, last year I got one 15 year old who wasn't even dressed up and here we have a lot of kids but they formed 3 large groups, so you get like 10 kids all in a hurry in one shot and then it's dead for 3 minutes and then another couple of herds and then there was nobody. It was all over in 15 minutes... :( Kinda weird.

I remember when I was young, there seemed to be endless streams of kids... My friends say my house probably has a bad candy reputation. The previous owners musta given out raisins or something... :eek:

rivers
November 1st, 2005, 09:13 AM
I'm sorry to hear your dog got bit, but MO is, it is best to keep pooches at home on Halloween. They can get scared from the oddly shaped costumes, noises and with kids running around. Most houses have a dog inside, and they want to protect their homes with all the strangeness going on around them. Keep your pets safe at home. :sorry:

Luvmypit
November 1st, 2005, 02:03 PM
Sorry stacey that had to happen!

As for capone he was surprisingly calm I even had a group of kids ask for the pit bull that lives here. He was a little scared of my SD's costume as she had a white face and blood and black eyes (emperor of darkness) and he was looking at her with a hesitant wagging of his tail. After i guess he realized something is going on so he just sat near the door and watched.

He only barked once and that was b/c someone had knocked rather then rang the bell. I was very proud of him. He came to the door to say hi to the kids that asked for him ( i have never seen them before as far as I could see through the costumes) he sat down and let them pet him but then started sniffing in their bags so i cut the visit short. Little buggers know when there is food around.

SunGurl372
November 1st, 2005, 02:27 PM
The only time I have ever heard Harley really bark is when she sees a man walking or standing alone by himself, and usually it's in the dark. If it's a woman or another dog, nothing! Not sure what would cause that specific of a reaction...except for my suspicions that she may have been previously abused before I adopted her.

Anyway, she was a hoot when we took her trick or treating last night with my 5 year old. Our neighbors had a full size scarecrow body in their front yard with a Crypt Keeper head on it....she hated it! Barked at it in those real deep warning type barks. Funny thing was, my neighbor came out in a full-body gorilla suit, and she groveled at his feet like "Please don't eat me!!!"

jesse's mommy
November 1st, 2005, 02:46 PM
Jesse and just returned from our afternoon walk and she was nipped on the nose by a Jack Russell. The lady said her dog was good with other dogs, but quickly became the alpha with Jesse (though Jess could stomp this dog with one foot) and nipped her nose and wouldn't stop barking or lunging at Jesse. Thankfully Jesse is just fine, but here's Jesse, this viscious Pit Bull with her ears back, tail between her legs cowering behind me because she is scared. Not one inkling in her told her she should fight back. I'm mad, but proud of her at the same time because of some of the stories you hear out there. I'm mad that the woman wasn't more responsible in socializing her dog and telling me it would be fine to say "hi", but proud that Jesse had no aggression to her whatsoever. Does that make sense?

Jesse is a very social dog -- whether it's kids, people or other animals, she loves saying "hi". But, before she says hi to anyone I ask them if it's alright she comes over and says hi. I just couldn't believe this woman said it was fine. Her dog OBVIOUSLY isn't social at all.

StaceyB
November 1st, 2005, 03:28 PM
This was Montanas third halloween out and he is fine with everyone, including the dogs. We were down the street from where the dog lives. The owners look like they had just arrived home and when they were going inside the dog got out and ran to where Montana was. It is not as if we were standing at their door. We actually stand on the street and watch the kids as they go house to house. Montana is used for different training events so it is important that he is social with everything.

AliSam
November 1st, 2005, 03:32 PM
We had total chaos in our house last night. Not only was it halloween, but our roommates (finally) were moving out so there was also a U-Haul truck in our driveway and things moving in and out of the house. Furniture, kids, boxes, kids, candy, clothes, kids, more candy.....

Sam did really well through it all. A couple of times he tried to get off the couch to see what was going on but a couple of "Sam lie down"s was all he needed to climb back up on the couch and watch everything from a safe place.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 1st, 2005, 07:05 PM
moving during the halloween rush, now that would be total kaos!! :eek:

One thing I noticed not one kid had a unicef box around their neck, with all the world disasters going on you'd think they would have them, maybe it was just in my neighbourhood.

StaceyB
November 1st, 2005, 08:06 PM
I didn't see any either. Even my own kids didn't come home with the boxes but they each collected 1.02.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 1st, 2005, 08:11 PM
Mine didnt come home with any other. I even had our big change jar by the front door too.

Prin
November 2nd, 2005, 01:03 AM
I heard all the money was going to build schools in Rwanda and that Unicef was trying out the "one cause" idea to see if kids could relate more. I saw one group with unicef boxes and a couple had some other box but they didn't even ask for money for it... What's the point of wearing the box if you're not into it?

We used to have contests to see who could get the most money.. The winner would get a chocolate bar or something.

CyberKitten
November 2nd, 2005, 04:14 AM
We went out for Halloween but had enough Trick or Treaters before the event - I had my bf come here since I hate being alone for Halloween and sure enuf, there was a home invasion of some kind in rural Nova Scotia - that's what I worry about. (It's a long story but I was assaulted in my own home once and so the notion of masked ppl entering my home is scary as hell for me plus I've always hated Halloween). We distributed candy at the hospital before tho with this campaign to get rid of unhealthy choices at school cafeterias (a good idea but the media can sometimes blow issues out of propostion (ex the "pitbull" stories), I can envision Frank magazine or some newspapereditorialize about how horrible it was that a Children's Hospital gave out suager containing candy!! And what is it with these teenagers that come to the door sans costumes which means they spent zero time on it - and often they have no mask either (tho we (pediatric assn) have been preaching how so many masks are unsafe so I suppose that part is good. I guess they come as themselves or as a teenager - who knows! But inevitably, they are taller than me (not hard) and bigger (also not that hard) but still..... I do get teens or adolescents going thru that phase of innocent pranks (We all went thru that) but trick or treating should be for CHILDREN!!

The cats liked it but they are social creatures who have an insatiable need to investigate and say hello to everyone. Last year, I actually had a cat run into my home - if you all recall Garfield (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=8893&highlight=Garfield) . And I cannot imagine anyone allowing their pet to run loose on halloween!!! That's just asking for trouble.

My cutest Halloween story with a pet was one Halloween a few yrs ago when my bunny was not yet at the Bridge. He had a basket that he liked to sit in which we called his LazyBoy - he sat on a piece of carpet which was perched on top of old telephone books (which he liked to chew of course - and actually newsprint is supposed to be OK for a bunny's digestion) and the basket was located in the entry in an area where he could watch anyone coming in the front or back doors and see the kitchen or living room. (Bunnies are also nosy little busybodies when they want to be :) ).

Anyhow, one H nite, this little girl came in and was so enthralled that there was a live bunny right there that she dropped her bag of treats abd ran over to my baby and picked him up!! She was about 4 or 5 and her mom was watching from outside. Fortunately, my T was adjusted to all manner of people and he let her pet him and cuddle him. I think she would have stayed all night, lol I tried moving the basket, worried that maybe it was too much excitement for my little furbaby lagomorph but he hopped right back to the entry so I have up and brought back the aforementioned LZboy.

Anyway - that's my Halloween rant. We seem to be getting fewer children - so many go to organized activities, a safer option even in a low crime area place like this neighbourhood - so I think we only went thru 4 boxes of chips and some bars that I added to the chips of kids I knew.

I brought the rest of the stuff to work Well most of it, I rather like cheesies so I kept those, lol

Rottimom
November 2nd, 2005, 07:24 AM
We've had a Halloween party for the last 3 years and each year Herc makes me more proud of him. I heard "He is SUCH a good boy" from almost all of the 50 people who were at my house. As far as Herc is concerned, any party is great in his books! He loves the people and the kids (and the unsuspecting plates dangling so temptingly at his nose level :p) He even gets up and dances with people! People can't believe how calm he is, and how much of a party animal he is! :crazy: