Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Black cats are more allergenic

kayla
October 31st, 2005, 10:16 PM
I was just going to my chem class online (don't you love modern technology) and according to the prof black cats cause more allergic reactions than any other colour. Strange little tidbit of information I thought I'd share with y'all! (Hey wasn't someone trying to start a pets.ca trivia forum a while back?) Oh yes and he also confirms that it is the dead skin cells, not hair, that causes allergies, and length of hair has nothing to do with it.

http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/7.gif

sjat24
November 1st, 2005, 12:40 AM
Cool info, who would of thought!! Thanks for sharing.

huskypup
November 1st, 2005, 04:32 AM
Yes I can confirm this is true, I have a black cat Suzie Woo, that is so allergic to flea's all her fur falls out and she starts to tear at her skin, when we stole!! (got arrested for that one) she had no fur on her at all apart from the bottom of her legs and a 2" bit at the end of her tail, the rest was just scabs and bites and she was so lethergic and skinny, now she has steriod tablets and is defleaded every week, and is so fat the vet and told me to out her on a diet.

PetFriendly
November 1st, 2005, 09:49 AM
You'd think that based on that, the long haired cats would cause less reaction to those who are alergic as their long hair can sort of keep the dander from becoming airborne.

I knew about the black cats, un-neutered/spayed cats are worse then neutered/spayed ones. Apparently the cat that has the least amount of allergens is a neutered orange male. (ANd I'm not taking any classes, I just read too much!)

kayla
November 1st, 2005, 10:56 AM
I actually do think long hair is better, although never heard scientific proof of this, but many people I know with allergies have noticed this. I wonder why hair colour has an effect though, very weird!

Prin
November 1st, 2005, 12:19 PM
Well, that there is the whole issue with GMO. When you take one gene that causes a trait you like, that same gene can be responsible for a bunch of traits you didn't expect. So along with the black or the orange, you probably get some sort of skin genes too (among many, many others).

raingirl
November 1st, 2005, 01:11 PM
Also, baby animal have no dead skin to shed, therefore no allergens. It takes a few months for kittens and puppys to produce allergens, that is why some people all of the sudden become allergic to their new pets.