Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hooray we're finally pregnant!

Rottimom
October 31st, 2005, 08:13 PM
Well after almost 2 years of trying for our first child, we are pregnant!

...and looking for advice on how to prepare Hercules for the arrival of our little one. (Got about 8 months to prepare... thought I'd get a head start)

For the last 2-1/2 years, Hercules has been the absolute light of my life and center of my attention. This is surely going to be a huge change for all of us... how can I start to prepare him for our (and his :pawprint: ) new baby?

jesse's mommy
October 31st, 2005, 08:21 PM
Congratulations! That's wonderful news. :thumbs up

melanie
October 31st, 2005, 08:48 PM
congrats mate, thats top news, im very happy for you....

now if you figure out how to get these dogs to come around let me know, charlie is still trying to push her boundaries since i got preggers, and she loves kids normally. she is jsut being kinda naughty ignoring me more than usual, but i have found going through her routines and old trick seems to please her and make her pay attention :D try doing that, also dont grouch on the dog for touching any baby stuff or anything like that...... i find that will help, i figure if she thinks its good to sniff the bubs stuff it is less likely she will be a pain or put out, whcih i dont want as she is my everlasting day dream, and has been for 10yrs so her happiness is my top priority...

have fun, keep us posted.... :D

Prin
October 31st, 2005, 09:06 PM
Congrats. I guess that means it's still not safe to drink the water around here... :eek: :)

StaceyB
October 31st, 2005, 09:32 PM
Congrats,

Get a doll and borrow some dirty baby clothes from friends and dress the doll. You can start by either teaching the dog to stay away from baby unless you give permission or whatever you think you are going to allow the dog to do around baby. Place the doll in places where baby will be like the swing, crib, stroller, and even on a blanket on the floor. You will want to do this more as you get closer to delivery date. Take the dog to friends places or invite them to yours to get used to the smells, sounds and movements that come from babies.
As it get closer you will want to get your dog onto the new schedule when baby arrives. This will include the amount of time you believe you will have for the dog.
Once baby is born and before he/she comes home, have your husband bring home a blanket or outfit that smells like baby so the dog is used to the smell of baby before he/she comes home.
Please keep the nursery as an always off limit place in the house.