Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog staring at something

Gripenfelter
October 31st, 2005, 04:34 PM
Last night around 9pm my alaskan malamute went a little crazy.

He asked to be let outside so we let him go out. It started to rain 2 mins later. Freezing rain. He stayed outside. We called him to come in but he just stared at us while he sat on the stone patio just soaking. I tried enticing him in with a treat and nothing. He had a look on his face like "please don't make me".

I ran outside and literally dragged him inside by his collar. When we got to the patio door he dug his paws in and whined. WTF?? Also never done that before.

I carried him inside and he walked around the entire house slowly, walked across the couch, went into every bedroom, gave our 10 week old baby a kiss and then went downstairs to the basement and sat behind the water heater in a corner. He's NEVER done this before. It really freaked us out.

I should also mention that 1 hr prior to him going outside, he was cuddling on the couch with my wife and my baby who were watching a movie. He started to stare into space and perk up his ears. After about 10 mins of this he wanted to go outside.

So after I brought him out from behind the water heater, again by his collar because treats didn't work, I boxed him off in the kitchen to go to sleep. He normally sleeps in the kitchen.

My wife checked on him twice during the night at 1am and 3am. He didn't sleep a wink. He was either pacing around the kitchen or sitting up straight staring into space. When I checked on him this morning at 6am, he was already up. Normally he sleeps till I leave the house. I would hazard a guess that he didn't sleep at all.

He's fine today and slept all day.

Additional info: We have never hit him or disciplined him using any other method beyond a stern "no". But last night he was a perfect dog until he decided to go outside.

My parents think he might have seen a ghost because they see things on a different spectrum. I'm not superstitious though.

Prin
October 31st, 2005, 04:42 PM
He's not fixed right? I'm thinking some girly smelled good outside. Boo does that when girlies are in heat, even though he's fixed. He just becomes another doggy and doesn't listen and just gets weird. Maybe there's love in the air? Just a thought.

Gripenfelter
October 31st, 2005, 05:10 PM
I don't think he smelled a dog in heat. While he was outside, he was staring back at the patio door the whole time while sitting in the rain.

Prin
October 31st, 2005, 05:12 PM
ohhh... Maybe it's because it's hallowe'en? :D

Gripenfelter
October 31st, 2005, 06:04 PM
I thought maybe the halloween decorations spooked him but he was fine all night until 9pm. So weird. One of my co-workers has a dog that goes and barks at a tree in his backyard but only started doing that after his mother died. His mother used to prune the tree a lot because it was a flowering one.

jesse's mommy
October 31st, 2005, 06:08 PM
I think it's a ghost!

kayla
October 31st, 2005, 07:26 PM
Tis the season! http://bestsmileys.com/ghost/1.gif

BoxerRescueMTL
October 31st, 2005, 07:33 PM
My dogs act weird like that when they have upset tummies....?

marko
November 1st, 2005, 11:46 AM
It could have been a cat or other animal that he spotted