Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

new puppy, please help

t90princesst
October 31st, 2005, 02:30 PM
i just got an 11 week old chihuahua puppy and i am having a lot of trouble with him. we are crate training him but at night when we put him in there, he shrieks. not barks or whines or cries, loudly shrieks like a little kid. and it doesnt stop. when he finally does go to sleep, he wakes up every few hours to shriek for about 20 minutes. this morning, he shrieked for 2 hours! we've tried praising him when he's quiet but he just wont pay attention. i've covered his crate with a blanket, left the tv on and made sure he doesnt need to go to the bathroom. nothing is working. any suggestions?

jessi76
October 31st, 2005, 02:58 PM
is the crate in YOUR bedroom, near you? I crate trained our pup, and I put his crate next to the bed, on my side. Sure, he whined the first few times, but it got progressively better each night, and eventually he settled right down. The crate was close enough that I could reach out and put my finger in to touch him.

congrats on the new pup! got pics?

SchnauzerGirl
October 31st, 2005, 05:48 PM
If your dog is in the crate, next to the bed and it doesn't work, try putting the crate on the bed with you, sometimes they settle down even faster. I also would reward my guy when he went into the crate with something yummy so it was a good place to be. I would only try the crate on the bed once so see if that works, if it does, then you move the crate next to the bed the next few nights, then towards the bedroom door and then out into the hall, ect. ect. However, for my guy, this didn't work... after almost two months of him shrieking at night (sometimes for hours, sometimes every 2 hours), he now sleeps with me... We both, happily, get our full 8 hours sleep every night and there has never been any accidents in my bed (and no aggression problems either).

StaceyB
October 31st, 2005, 09:55 PM
When did you get the puppy and did it come from a breeders?
Whatever you do don't give in or you will lose the battle for good. It is very normal for this behaviour in the first few days after you bring puppy home. If you say, look or give any type of attention to the puppy while they are making noise the behaviour will get worse not better.
What you can do is get a hot water bottle and fill it with hot water. Wrap it in a towel and insert it into a pillow case with a tick tock clock. Roll it up and place it in the crate with puppy. Make sure that puppy doesn't need anything such as washroom, food, water, or exercise. Make sure puppy is tired at bedtime so try not to allow puppy to nap several hours before bedtime.

t90princesst
November 1st, 2005, 12:56 AM
thanks for all the replies! we are going to try to put him in the bedroom tonite with the water bottle and hopefully that will help. today we got him a playpen (a babies one) to put in the living room for when i cant watch him but i dont want to have to crate him and he still shrieks cuz he wants to be rite by me. but we've learned not to give in to him.

i got him from a pet store and i didnt realize until later that its more work then if they come from a breeder. we called the pet shop we got him from and the guy couldnt tell us ANYTHING.

rivers
November 1st, 2005, 09:18 AM
When we got our puppy 2 weeks ago, we put her next to our bed, on my side, as she bonded with me first. She was happy to be next to me, and if she cried once or twice during the night, I would just drop my hand down the side of the bed, next to her, and she was quiet again.
Good luck and I hope this works, so you can get some sleep! :o

LavenderRott
November 1st, 2005, 11:42 AM
i got him from a pet store and i didnt realize until later that its more work then if they come from a breeder. we called the pet shop we got him from and the guy couldnt tell us ANYTHING.

Well, work is the least of your problems. You may well find that down the road health issues will be a major expense.

There really isn't a short cut to crate training. You just have to let them scream until they understand that all that noise really isn't getting them what they want. I will say that chi's need bedding in their crate as they seem to get cold easily.

t90princesst
November 1st, 2005, 02:12 PM
Teecee is already spoiled lol he has a down blanket in his crate. but we had a great night last nite! we had people over for halloween so he was really happy to be fawned over all night. i wrapped a warm bottle of water in a towel and put the radio on and he slept all night. my fiance woke him up this morning and fed him breakfast and let him potty and play a bit and then he went straight back to sleep until 11 am! i was SOOO proud of him!

t90princesst
November 4th, 2005, 06:05 PM
hey guys!!! thanks for all your help! teecee sleeps through the night now AND he doesnt cry when its bed time! he's doing great!!!

he's learned to climb the couch which we are trying to make him stop but he's sooo quick he gets up there before we even notice lol and all of our cats are used to him now and they dont mind him until he decides its cat chasing time.

:grouphug:

CyberKitten
November 4th, 2005, 11:20 PM
I am glad to hear he is doing better - as are you. Can I ask why you purchased a puppy from a pet store? I am always alarmed when I hear that - and worry about the health and tempetment issues of a puppy from a puppymill tho some by some miracle do turn out well if socialiized well and if they turn out to be healthy in spite of everything their cainine parents go thru and the absolute lack of genetic or any kind of testing. Of course- thse puppies had to be strobg to survive in that environment to start with.

Have you taken him for his vet appt yet? (and pls don't believe anything the pet stores says - they will say anything to sell the dogs, they don't care at all about them - (tho some workers there do but they usually leave when they can't stand to see ill puppies killed ot allowed to die in the back rooms).

I really really hope your little fellow turns out just fine. Make sure to check for spine disk disease which is endemic in chis as a breed (I do not know the stats tho - I have a neighbour with 2 and one has a damaged spine - I am partial to him, having spine issue myself) and almost epidemic among puppy mill bred chis. Alas, sometimes it cannot be learned until the puppy is several yrs old. There are some knowledgable chi owners on ths site who can help you more than I can though.

Good luck!!

t90princesst
November 6th, 2005, 06:57 PM
It wasnt until AFTER we bought him that we learned its not good to buy from pet shops. he goes in for his check up this next week along with his shots. he seems to be healthy so far but we are going to buy vet insurance on him now just incase there are problems later. the only problem we've had so far is getting him socialized. there are a bunch of dog parks around here so after he gets his shots we are going to take him so he can hang out. we took him today to a small park near my mom's so he could get used to the leash and the grass and he LOVED it and is perfect on a leash. well until he gets tired then nothing will move him haha.

thanks for the heads up and i'll be sure to ask the vet to test him for it. :)

mona_b
November 6th, 2005, 07:19 PM
We would love to see some pics.....:D

By any chance do you have friends or family members with smaller dogs?The reason I ask is that I wouldn't take a pup your size to a dog park.It just wouldn't be safe.

How about enrolling him in puppy classes?This way he can play with other puppies....:)

As for the socializing,this would also include with people,kids,different sights and sounds.

As for getting him at a pet store,don't worry,MANY people don't know the reasons not to get them from there.:)

t90princesst
November 7th, 2005, 11:28 PM
one of the dog parks around here has an area just for small dogs. i think we are gonna try to take him there because i just dont feel comfortable with him and big dogs. and we are going to take him to the swap meet so he can get used to strangers (and learn to shop lol)

my fiance and i are talking about putting him in puppy training classes for christmas. he's learned to sit and he does pretty good at it. and we are starting to make him sit before he can be pet or play or what not.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/tinypinkprincesst/IMG_0848.jpg that's the link to a pic of him. i tried to upload it but i have no idea how to resize stuff lol