Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

too much pumpkin = constipation?

raingirl
October 31st, 2005, 11:36 AM
Quick question. Odin accidently ate a peice of raw pumpking while we were carving yesterday. Don't know how big or how much, as he got into the garbage for few seconds before I noticed.

I know it won't hurt him, but it will probably make him constipated won't it? Should i be worried?

jawert1
October 31st, 2005, 01:22 PM
Has he gotten into pumpkin before? Does he normally get constipated on fibrous veggies and fruits?

raingirl
October 31st, 2005, 01:27 PM
We have given pumpkin before, but that was when we first got him and his poop was soft.

He finally hit "equilibrium" and his poops have started getting really normal these last few weeks (finally found a food he can eat) and his poops are VERY hard already. I hope the pumpkin will actually loosen them up instead.

He has never had Raw pumpkin before, only cooked canned. I think he got an "eye" (from my pumpkin carving...about 1 inch cube, skin on).

kayla
October 31st, 2005, 08:14 PM
Not sure how your dog will react but I can say Kayla has eaten lots of raw pumpkin (she loves the stuff) and never had any problems with it coming out.

PetFriendly
October 31st, 2005, 08:19 PM
The vet tech told me once apon a visit, that provided the animal had plenty of water to drink, pumpkin kind of went either way... It would make softer poop more firm, and help loosen constipation.

Any food out of the ordinary gives Charley the runs and she thought this might help lessen the messes.