Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Should I separate new foster?

kayla
October 30th, 2005, 06:02 PM
I just got a call from Sophie's Dog Adoption saying she needs someone to foster a Wheaton Terrier mix so I am to go pick him up tonight. Apperently he is very friendly, and so is Kayla, so chances are they will get along, but I was wondering if I should trust them alone together the first night? The only way to separate would be to put the Wheaton in a crate, or to gate him off in the kitchen. He is house broken so there is not much reason to crate (unless he turns out to be a destructor dog). Last foster I had went very smoothly and there was never any fighting but she was always crated at night because of house breaking rules so I never even thought about whether it would be wise to leave them alone together.

Anyways, just wondering what people thought would be the best plan of action here. Thanks!

Prin
October 30th, 2005, 06:06 PM
I think it depends on the reaction. If there is only a naive buddy relationship right off the bat, then it should be ok. But if one or the other seems crabby or seems to test the other, I would separate them. If you are in doubt, separate them...

kayla
October 31st, 2005, 09:14 AM
Thanks Prin. Things have gone good so far. Only problem is Kayla tries desperately to get "Puppy" to play but Puppy isn't too keen on playing with her and barks his disapproval. No growling or fighting though so I left them together and it is morning and no accidents on the floors (yay!) or destroyed furniture (double yay!) or mangled dogs (triple yay!) so it's all good. ;)

shannonRN
October 31st, 2005, 12:50 PM
Personally, I think that all unfamiliar animals should be separated when unsupervised until you know for sure how they relate to each other. Inconvenient, but worth the extra effort just to be safe. Glad things are going well for you so far.