Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hair Matting in indoor cats

kaufmanc
October 30th, 2005, 05:41 PM
I am new here and hope someone can help me. I currently have 2 indoor cats, and an indoor dog. All of which are free of fleas. Our Calico cat Callie seems to have massive hair matting on her hind quarters. What might be causing this? I brushed her out yesterday, saw no evidence of fleas, mites, nothing of the sort. The matting is back again today. HELP! I cant take her to the vets as she has to be sedated each time (around $200.00 vet bill after she goes) I dont mean to sound cruel, but I cant afford to keep taking her in. She seems to be fine otherwise, any ideas?

jesse's mommy
October 30th, 2005, 05:56 PM
I'm not sure how to help you with the matting, but I might be able to give you some advice with the vet visit. My uncle has a cat who REFUSES to get into the kitty-caddy to go to the vet because they accidentally dropped it one day the cat was in it and it scared him so bad. Since then, they can't even bring out the box at all or the cat freaks out. There are vets out there that will come to the house and that is what my uncle does. The vet they have only charges about $15 more than the office visit (I think for gas purposes and he just loves doing anything to help animals), comes to the house, spends some time talking to the cat and acts like he's just a common houseguest, gives the cat the exam, shots and everything. He brings the stool sample back and gives them a call if there are any problems with the tests. The cat is just fine with it and has no problems freaking out or anything. Have you thought about that? This way it would save you the $200 plus the cost of the office visit.

Prin
October 30th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Could it be something she is doing that is causing this? I mean licking the area till the hair balls up or rubbing on the area or something? What does the vet do when you bring her in? If he just shaves her, you might want to learn to do it yourself or go to a groomer instead. Maybe if you do it often enough (and gently enough), she will become more comfortable and won't need sedation.

CyberKitten
October 30th, 2005, 06:21 PM
She is probably shedding. Have you tried using a comb to remove the dead undercoat that frequently causes matting? Tho it seems since you are grooming her each day, she should be fine. I brush my cat every day - but she has short hair - has never known a matt in her life.

Prin
October 30th, 2005, 06:22 PM
has never known a matt in her life.I knew a Matt once... Reer. :D

CyberKitten
October 30th, 2005, 06:54 PM
I meant matt with no capital, lol She has met at least one Matt, heheh ;)