Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitten Worming

pags
October 30th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Hi all. By my estimation our baby kitties are around 10 weeks old now... Unfortunately - I have yet to get them de-wormed or get their shots done with all the Katrina-related havoc about and the serious difficulties with cash flow and transportation. I did talk to the vet's assistant on Friday though when I picked up Judge and she told me to purchase some worming medication from the receptionist and de-worm the kittens myself.

The directions say 1/2 teaspoon per 5 lbs. of body weight. My kittens weigh just around 2 lbs each. Somebody help me with my math here -- I should be giving them less than 1/4 teaspoon correct? Or should I cut that in half and give them 1/8 teaspoon to be on the safe side?

Forgive me for asking this here instead of calling the vet -- but for sure these are some odd days around here. The vet's office is not keeping regular hours at all and they were so busy releasing all of their surgical patients on Friday I barely got 3 minutes to talk to the assistant when I picked up Judge.

Also - Judge is on Revolution for his parasite control and prevention and I picked up his latest dose when I picked him up as well (I administer it myself, of course)... Since no one had time to talk to me -- I want to make sure it's okay to apply the medication so soon after his little operation -- it SHOULD be okay.. but just in case there's something I'm not thinking about, please let me know.

Thanks!

Prin
October 30th, 2005, 05:08 PM
I would wait a week for the Revolution. In normal cases, it should be fine, but if he happens to have a reaction to it, and he just got out of anaesthesia not long ago, he would have a very hard time recovering.

As for the kitties, I don't know enough about kitties, but I would say if you give too little, you might just be selecting for the stronger worms and not kill them all, but I'm not sure at all.

CyberKitten
October 30th, 2005, 05:32 PM
I would follow the vet assit's recommendations and give the kits each just a little under 1/4 tsp each.

pags
October 30th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Thank you, Prin -- I think I'll wait til next weekend to give Judge the Revolution... You're right he doesn't need to deal with any reactions right now.

And CK - thanks. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't reading it wrong. Don't want to overdose anybody.