Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sick Kitten

springrose24
October 30th, 2005, 01:30 PM
hello everyone
i am a new member here
i need some help with my kitten we got him 3 weeks ago and he has a bad tummy.the people we got him from got him from a empty building and he had just opened his eyes.i was surprise to hear they were giving him cows milk and adult cat food.and the told us he was 8 weeks old which was not true.we took him to the vet and they dewormed him and said he was fine and said the milk and adult cat food was not good for him which we knew.we gave him kitten wet food.the vet thinks he is 6 weeks old but again i do not agree he is trying to nurse off my male kitten.and he wants to eat every 3 hours and crys just like a new born.the mother had died so we are thinking he only got a few weeks of nursing which is not enough.the vet said once he got used to the kitten food his runy stool would stop it did not so i called the vet back and they said to give him people stuff for his runny stool and if it did not help to call back in 48 hours will still know luck.his bottom is so sore we clean him everytime after he does his bussiness cause it is all over his bottom.i don't know what to do any more but worry.i am taking him to the vet on tuesday again and hope they can fit him in
thanks for your help and listening.
springrose24 :fingerscr

CyberKitten
October 30th, 2005, 02:18 PM
A 6 week old kitten can die from diarrhea but your vet prob already told you this. You need to keep a close eye on this little fellow. Is he on any meds? What about tiny amts of canned pumpkin to see if that would stop the diarrhea - tho I am unsure if he can digest that at this tender age. You might call your vet and ask his/her thoughts on that.

It takes time for any cat or kitten to adjust to new food - if you give him high quality kitten food, it may take him some time (a week or more) before he adjust to it. There could be other factors at work but only your vet can determine if he is suffering from anything else.

As for suckling, that is not uncommon in kittens taken from their mothers too young. It could also mean he is hungry - if he losing so much energy from his food going thru his system so fast, he "could" be hungry. You could also give him a stuffed toy to suckle. Have you thought if using a Snuggle Kitty (http://www.fancypaw.com/ecb/snu002.htm) ?

Good luck!

springrose24
October 30th, 2005, 05:31 PM
hi
thank you so much for your reply
the vet never told me he could die they didn't seem to worried at all.he is on no meds as of yet.i am just worried cause he has had runny stool since we got him and i have followed everything the vet has told me to do but nothing seems to work.tuesday i am taking him back to the vet.he does drink water but not alot his eating he is not eating like he was and he sleeps alot.last night he played for awhile with my other cat but today he just sleeps.but worried i guess.thank you so much.i am going to give my vet a call now let you know what he says
gail

springrose24
October 30th, 2005, 05:42 PM
hi
it's me again lol
i just talked to the vet and they are putting him on meds now and i have to give him pederlight kids juice.sorry might be spelled wrong. and if he is not better by tuesday bring him to vet also i have to take a stool sample in.i am really worried now :confused: :pawprint:
gail

Lucky Rescue
October 30th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Yes, tiny kittens get dehydrated VERY quickly and can certainly die from diarrhea. Your kitten is probably dehydrated and that's why he is drinking and is lethargic.

Add warm water to his food - as CyberKitten said, use high quality kitten food - and syringe some rice water into him. Boil some rice and use the water.

If he wont' eat, make the kitten food quite sloppy, put a small glob on the end of your finger, open his mouth and put it on the roof of his mouth. He'll have to swallow it.

The most important thing is to get food and liquid into him. If you dont' do this, Tuesday may well be too late.

CyberKitten
October 30th, 2005, 06:28 PM
I agree with what Lucky saud - she gave you excellent instructions (as usual). Try to get fluids into him - incl Pedialyte. Think of it as an oral IV (when you are given an IV in hospital, it is essentially glucose- water and sugar and that is what Pedialyte is, along with nutrients. ) Unfortunately, even with the best care, kittens can fade quickly!

I would watch him around the clock and make sure he is warm and gets lots of fluids. I'll think some good thoughts for the little guy - and you! Good luck!

springrose24
October 31st, 2005, 01:32 PM
:) thank you both for your help.
i called the vet yesterday cause i could not wait any longer or i would of had a nerves break down lol.she told me she was going to start him on antibiotics right away.so i went to pick it up right away.so he is taking that plus pediatric for dehyration and another white med.lastnight late he was up playing boy was i happy to see that and this morning his stool was not so runny so looks like it's working.tomorrow i have to take the vet stool to check.that's about all for now but again thank you so much
gail
ps he is my little :angel: :pawprint: