Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

puppy is sick(resp)

puppy_turbo805
October 30th, 2005, 05:20 AM
We have a 4 month old black lab/collie mix. He has been having a very pale yellow almost white mucus coming from his nose and eyes. He has been having intermittant wheezeing. I called to a locol vet and the recept. told me to just give him 1 teaspoon of dimatapp every 12 hours. We put him in the bathroom and let it steam up a little bit, but it only helps for a little while. He has been sick for around 2 weeks now, and we are getting pretty concerned. We have not gave him any dimatapp yet. What should we do. Also, no matter how often we clean his face, it is building up and creating tender spots. Should we leave the crust alone? Thanks for any help.

BMDLuver
October 30th, 2005, 06:50 AM
What you should do is take the dog to the vet. Please do not self medicate with over the counter remedies suggested by a Receptionist. Two weeks is a very long time to let this go on with such a young pup. Please get him seen by a vet asap.

cindyann
October 30th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Your puppy needs to be taken to your vets ASAP. he has some type of URI. If left untreated it can and will turn into pneaumonia

Lucky Rescue
October 30th, 2005, 09:11 AM
He's been like this for 2 weeks and you havent' taken him to the vet??

I called to a locol vet and the recept. told me to just give him 1 teaspoon of dimatapp every 12 hours

Diagnosing and prescribing meds over the phone and before the dog has been examined is extremely irresponsible and no reputable vet would ever do it.

yoda900_ca
October 30th, 2005, 10:36 AM
would you let your young child go on like this w/out taking it to a dr? VET PLEASE. Believe me i know vets can be expensive but your puppy IS sick and they don't have the immune system of an adult dog. Take a stool sample w/you as well because some types of worms can cause a mucus discharge.