Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sore Stomach

DOGSRULE05
October 29th, 2005, 08:25 PM
We Have A 5 Year Old Beagle, He Has Not Been Out Of His Pen, Last Night At Feed Time, He Did Not Act Himself, Was Holding His Stomach Very Tight,up To Date On All Shots, Wormed Reagular, No Viomit Or Funny Stools. We Took Him To A Local Country Ver This Am, He Gave Him A Shot To Relax His Stomach, Antibiotic,and Something Else. We Really Don't Know Whats Wrong With Him. He Isn't Wormy, His Gum Color Was Good. Temp Was 101.8. He Has A Hard Time Getting Comfy, And Tries To Stand With All Of His Weight On His Front Legs. We Are Really Concerned, He Wimpers When He Walks, And Still Holds His Stomach Very Tight And Tail Between His Legs. Any Suggestions On What Could Be Wrong. The Vet Says He Should Be Better By Tomorrow But We Really So No Improvement This Pm. ?????

jesse's mommy
October 29th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Is he constipated? That could be very painful.

DOGSRULE05
October 29th, 2005, 08:42 PM
don't think so. the vet felt all over him and said everything felt okay. no masses or anything that felt he was impacted. he just carries his gut all sucked in and tight. acts like it hurts to put weight on his back legs.

jesse's mommy
October 29th, 2005, 08:45 PM
That's really weird and the vet isn't sure either. Did the vet give him a muscle relaxer? Do you think the dog may have pulled a muscle? I really have no idea. I hope things are better by tomorrow. Is your dog at least able to lay down and rest?

DOGSRULE05
October 29th, 2005, 09:00 PM
he said it was medicine to relax his stomach. he said probbly just a virus or something, like i said just a country vet, it's saturday and not many options to day. closet animal hospital is about 71 miles away he didn't xray or do any blood work so i don't know if he knows, he is better with big animals. he is able to lay down and rest but he just isn't his self. he has a 10 * 10 chain link fence, he hasn't been out of in a few weeks so i know he couldn't of ate anything other than normal, and no way for an injury. we always worry about worms but all of our animals are on a strict vaccination and worm schedule and we rotate wormers and the vet said his gum color was great and he thought he was free of worms. i just have no clue what could be wrong with him. (he is my husbands favorite because he was the last beagle puppy his grandpa got to hold before he died normally we wouldn't worry so much) i will post in the am how he is. thanks.

jesse's mommy
October 29th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Here is another question, you said that he couldn't have eaten anything outside, but did he eat anything inside? I've heard of dogs eating the strangest things -- from cell phones to pens to keys. I'll say a prayer for the little guy. I hope he's alright.

SnowDancer
October 30th, 2005, 10:02 AM
If it were not for the stomach issue, I would suggest an MRI to rule out the pressing of calcified discs on your Beagle's back - hence the pain in walking. Please monitor your pup very, very carefully. If weakness in legs continues or you notice dragging of feet, get to vet immediately. You can also try the flip the foot test - put your finger under his paw ery gently so as to cause him to replace his foot properly on the floor. I he can't, this is a problem. I had a Beagle who died at age 20 in 1986 at which time I began my love affair with Dachshunds - and the severe heartbreak of Dachshund disc disease. I only know about Beagles now suffering from this problem to a lesser degree because when my last little Dachshund had major disc surgery in 2003, our fabulous neurosurgeon had his 2 BEAGLES recovering at home from same neck and back disc surgery. He told me because having gone through this with 2 Dachshunds - every disc effected - I said maybe it was time to go back to having a Beagle - although Beagle's temperament and general health was different when I had mine - so he told me he had Beagles, not Dachshunds. Guess he would have felt bad if I had shown up once again at midnight for emergency disc surgery - this time with a Beagle. So please watch very, very carefully. And, please report back.

DOGSRULE05
October 30th, 2005, 10:41 AM
he is better this morning, he was even wagging his tail a little. there were four small soft stools in his pen this morning. he ate his hot dogs with medicine but still acts like his tummy is tender, no jumping on the fence to great you, no scolding because he wants out, but he is walking better and actually sitting right down not trying to find a comfy way of it. I'm just lost on what could be wrong???? we haven't fed different food or nothing??? must just be doggy tummy ache, all of the others (11 of them, all have seperate pens or are two to a pen) act just as normal and happy as every we will watch him and see what happens, if he still acts sick monday we are going to take him to a real dog vet. thanks